Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think native English speakers are at a disadvantage to learn foreign languages?
Yes 13 34.21%
No 25 65.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 01:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this for a while and I feel that native English speakers are at a disadvantage to learning foreign languages compared to people who have other native languages because there is so much English content there and I find that when native English speakers try to learn and speak foreign languages it's seem as weird or unusual. How many times a native English speaker tries to communicate with someone in German or French and just because the person doesn't speak like a native and makes mistakes, they switch to English... totally ridiculous. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 01:34 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
What I can say is that german and french people prefer to talk in English rather than listening to their own language spoken with foreign accent and with mistakes, at least this was my perception. However, it affects everyone, not only native English speakers. Since English is the "lingua franca" of our current world, it's used in these countries with every foreigner.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:35 PM

But, like every other language, some will be easier to a native English speaker, and some won't. French, Dutch, Spanish and the scandinavian languages are relatively easy because the grammar is quite similar (not exactly the same, but similar), while Arabic and Japanese are not.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
What I can say is that german and french people prefer to talk in English rather than listening to their own language spoken with foreign accent and with mistakes, at least this was my perception. However, it affects everyone, not only native English speakers. Since English is the "lingua franca" of our current world, it's used in these countries with every foreigner.
It is a lingua franca but that doesn't mean that they should just switch to English especially if the person is making an effort. If you are in France and speaking French to someone there even if you make mistakes why would they assume you can speak English if you are a native speaker of Portuguese?

Old 02-29-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and play the smartass card.

If the question were "Is it harder for an English speaker to learn a second language?" I'd say... probably yes.

But the way you proposed your question, not really. Allow me to explain:
If the foreign language you wanted to learn were, say, German, you'd have access to exactly the same kind of material as everyone else. A French and an English speaker would have as much trouble finding podcasts in German to listen and train their ear.
But the fact that there is a lot more material in English and it's easier for one to practice if you are a French or German learning English than an English speaker learning French or German.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
But the fact that there is a lot more material in English and it's easier for one to practice if you are a French or German learning English than an English speaker learning French or German.
I was playing with the way you worded your question.
Yes I understand what you're actually asking and if you notice I replied to it on the second line.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
It is a lingua franca but that doesn't mean that they should just switch to English especially if the person is making an effort. If you are in France and speaking French to someone there even if you make mistakes why would they assume you can speak English if you are a native speaker of Portuguese?
I agree with you, but it's what it happens. They assume that every tourist is able to speak English. Or, at least, in my travels to these countries, this was my impression.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:49 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
I'm going to go with No. English and French grammar are fairly close, and there are so many Latin-root words in English. The Norman Conquest influence is still alive and well.

Once you learn French, it's easy enough to learn the other Romance languages (Italian, Spanish, Portuguese).

I don't know how much English has in common with other languages -- I took a year of German and didn't find it very similar at all.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I'm going to go with No. English and French grammar are fairly close, and there are so many Latin-root words in English. The Norman Conquest influence is still alive and well.

Once you learn French, it's easy enough to learn the other Romance languages (Italian, Spanish, Portuguese).

I don't know how much English has in common with other languages -- I took a year of German and didn't find it very similar at all.
Then why everytime I go to Quebec, they switch to English when I try to speak French? Maybe the question is worded badly but it seems English native speakers are not given opportunities to practice foreign languages without them switching to English.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:03 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Quote:
Then why everytime I go to Quebec, they switch to English when I try to speak French? Maybe the question is worded badly but it seems English native speakers are not given opportunities to practice foreign languages without them switching to English.
I actually wasn't addressing that question at all. But, since you ask. Quebeckers could have different reasons, depending upon the Quebecker. Sometimes, they notice that you're not as fluent in French as they are in English, so to help the conversation go faster and to simply make it easier for you both to understand, they switch to English. You could mention to them that you want to speak in French just to practice.

If they get impatient and huffy, they might just have an attitude. Or, it's actually very inconvenient for them--for example, trying to practice terrible French with a waiter who's in a rush at work might not be the best time to try practising your French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World