Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:18 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Why is it okay when Charlie Hebdo mocks Islam, but mocking Judaism is considered anti-Semitism?
Think in terms of historical chronology.

First thought come to my mind was wondering how the Muslims will fare under this legislation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 12:30 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Why is it okay when Charlie Hebdo mocks Islam, but mocking Judaism is considered anti-Semitism?

Old 03-05-2016, 03:59 AM

401 posts, read 649,481 times
Quote:
Actually it's ok to mock religions, mocking Judaism is ok, mocking the Jews because they are Jews is not ok. Same for Islam, Charlie mocked Islam (actually not only Islam but all religions) not Muslims.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:06 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
Actually it's ok to mock religions, mocking Judaism is ok, mocking the Jews because they are Jews is not ok. Same for Islam, Charlie mocked Islam (actually not only Islam but all religions) not Muslims.
Very important distinction I think a lot of people miss it.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:26 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I don't know if he would get away with this type of speech in Canada, but I doubt or would hope that people of any party would not allow people to get away with this type of hateful behaviour. I don't think Canadians would tolerate this.

[youtube]KAyCerAt0kI[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAyCerAt0kI[/url]
That is not an isolated incident, it has been happening at many Trump rallies. It is definitely horrible behavior, but the people are just acting as vulgar as the leader they adore.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:01 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? If mocking Islam was OK then the people who mocked it at Charlie Hebdo will still be alive. When was the last time when a Jew killed dozen people for calling "The Lord" a fa@got for example?

By the way, the Muslim invaders are no different than say the Communists. For instance, one of my grandparents who lived under Communist dictatorship for most of his life had spent 3 years in a labour camp for defending a guy who was telling anti-communist jokes. The guy telling the anti-communist jokes himself was never seen afterwards as rumour has it the communists in bulgaria at the time were giving the "rebels" to hungry pigs, literally.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:31 PM

919 posts, read 839,479 times
Quote:
Thanks! That makes perfect sense.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:37 PM

919 posts, read 839,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Are you kidding? If mocking Islam was OK then the people who mocked it at Charlie Hebdo will still be alive.
Tell me if they were executed according to any kind of law.

Quote:
We have hate speech laws in France but you have to be very explicitly racist or antisemitic, like saying the holocaust was a hoax or something similar, mocking Jews and the victims of the holocaust is totally illegal in France
We have been talking about law. Do you get it now?

Old 03-06-2016, 03:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
He wouldn't be arrested for hate speech, no, we've had a few demagogues of our own in the past and also dealt with identity politics, nobody was arrested. Trump to my knowledge has never advocated violence nor has he even advocated identifiable groups of American citizens have their rights revoked. He's talked about strongly enforcing deportations of illegal immigrants and banning foreign nationals who are Muslim - not Americans - from entering the country. Disagreeing with these stances is completely legitimate, but proposing these laws definitely doesn't count as hate speech. Many things proposed by Parti Quebecois politicians might come closer and there's never been a whisper of using hate speech laws to silence them, the battles were fought in the court of public opinion, democratically, and as ugly as it's sometimes been I think that commitment to democracy and free speech has kept the conflict confined to the political realm, and that's why things have remained peaceful in Quebec for nearly 45 years. That's a huge achievement, and I think it's an important one to note. That doesn't mean those ideas shouldn't be vehemently countered by those who oppose them, but I agree that they should be allowed to be expressed.

Now, if a Canadian politician had told supporters to burn down mosques and attack people wearing Islamic garb, that'd be hate speech.
Like a lot of things Trumps says, it depends on the weather it seems. Equal Marriage for an example. He now refuses to answer questions on equal marriage, since his statement that he would appoint Supreme Court judges to overturn the ruling.

It's all hot air, and not hate speech, but these are American citizens whose right to marry he has threatened to take away.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Thank God for freedom of speech in this country. I would hate to be punished for speaking my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World