Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 01:02 PM

14 posts, read 14,809 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had some insight into which area has the best common standard of living considering the average salary and development of surroundings (including socialized services).

I don't think GDP per Capita is a good measure and salaries need to reflect the cost of living (and what there is to spend it all on).

GDP per Capita has painted a picture of a poorer EU after the late 2000s recession, but I'm wondering how much quality of life has worsened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 03:38 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,114 times
I think it's not possible to find a measurement for standard of living. GDP per capita doesn't seem to make much sense. A good example is in my opinion the change in GDP in 2009 in the U.S. and in Germany. GDP was down in the U.S. by 2.8%. This decline had a severe impact of many Americans. GDP in Germany was down by 5.6%. But this decline had almost no impact on every day live.
It's also difficult to compare salaries or disposable incomes. It's impossible to adjust those figures for the different price levels, it's also impossible to adjust it for different expenditures that have to be payed out of those disposable incomes.

From what I have seen I would say that Switzerland offers the highest standard of living, I'm not sure about Norway (because I just visit Norway for 2 days). My experiences in the U.S. are very limited. From what I have seen, the standard of living appeared to me surprisingly low, but I have to add, it was a relatively poor city.

That the standard of living in Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece have droped a little bit is probably true. But surely not that much than the decline in GDP suggest.

A worldwide subdued economic growth in 2016 could mean a very low GDP growth in Germany or even a decline. The economy is very depending on exports. A severe shrinking export can easily lead to a decline in GDP. But that wouldn't lead to a decline in the standard of living. Employment is growing, also wages are growing. The standard of living is rather isolated from GDP.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:07 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherthannormal View Post
I was wondering if anyone had some insight into which area has the best common standard of living considering the average salary and development of surroundings (including socialized services).

I don't think GDP per Capita is a good measure and salaries need to reflect the cost of living (and what there is to spend it all on).

GDP per Capita has painted a picture of a poorer EU after the late 2000s recession, but I'm wondering how much quality of life has worsened.
People don't seem to agree on the definition of standard of living or quality of life.

In the U.S. and Canada, people value big houses, big cars and more material comforts. In Europe, people value more social equality, community, vacation time and things of that sort.

It's whatever floats your boat.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:39 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherthannormal View Post

Salaries is part of the picture and cost of living is the other key element as well as taxes....what you can buy (goods and services) and save after taxes. I noticed that even though salaries after taxes are quite low in Spain compared to the USA, the standard of living variance is not as great due to a lower cost of living. The reverse is true of countries such as Norway and Switzerland where the cost of living is high.

Socialized services are connected to the tax level and corruption level along with the efficiency of those services. For example, a Homeowners Association (HOA) in Arizona where I own 3 houses charges fees for those socialized services that are 1/6th the fees that we are charged for a condominium that we own in Marbella, Spain...they (Arizona HOA) also offer better ammenities and services and run a surplus while the HOA is Spain is running a deficit...ergo, we are getting much better services at much less cost in Arizona. On the other hand, most things in Spain such as restaurants and groceries are much less than in the USA.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:55 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People don't seem to agree on the definition of standard of living or quality of life.

In the U.S. and Canada, people value big houses, big cars and more material comforts. In Europe, people value more social equality, community, vacation time and things of that sort.

People in the US and Canada value big houses and big cars because land, lumber, and fuel are cheap compared to Europe were land, lumber, and fuel are expensive.

Put a European in America and watch their house and car grow, conversely, put an American in Europe and watch as his house and car shrink.

I personally know a Swede here in Boston who is living large the American way.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:44 AM

14 posts, read 14,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
People in the US and Canada value big houses and big cars because land, lumber, and fuel are cheap compared to Europe were land, lumber, and fuel are expensive.

Put a European in America and watch their house and car grow, conversely, put an American in Europe and watch as his house and car shrink.

I personally know a Swede here in Boston who is living large the American way.
I think it's more to do with: "what can I do with €100000?". In the same vein as why Canada prefers to play snow sports but why Australia prefers surfing.

A European may spend it's money on a small city car and instead pay for expensive train/plane tickets to travel far, while an American may prefer to buy a car because public transport can't take you everywhere.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:59 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Conspicuous consumption is also looked down upon in many European countries. The multi-millionaires and even the billionaires are pretty modest here in Norway.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:13 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Conspicuous consumption is also looked down upon in many European countries. The multi-millionaires and even the billionaires are pretty modest here in Norway.
Tell me about it. Niklas Herlin one of the richest men in Finland. All his siblings are also billionaires:
http://static.iltalehti.fi/verot/media7jh011113_vr.jpg

Old 03-17-2016, 06:21 PM

525 posts, read 454,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I think that's how it should be, especially in a world where so many people don't even have enough to eat. There's far too much materialism/superficiality here in the states (and probably in similar countries as well) IMO.

The "best standard of living" depends on who you are and what you want. If I could live in any country, (with language not being an issue) I'd choose a Scandinavian country because I value equality, community, and modesty. Many people would prefer the US for its opportunities and glamorous cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World