U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:31 PM

153 posts, read 133,648 times

Advertisements

We have a thread about your favorite city in the United States is and I thought it would be interesting to hear from Americans who have travelled abroad what there favorite city is and why!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 12:33 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,964,923 times
Copenhagen, Denmark. I love the architecture(a perfect mix of old and new), the people, the food and how clean the city is. The only thing I didn't like was how damn expensive it was! Other than that I would move there in a heartbeat.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 9,136,569 times
I don't know if a lot of people will agree with me here, but I absolutely love Moscow.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:05 PM

1,037 posts, read 976,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't know if a lot of people will agree with me here, but I absolutely love Moscow.
It's not all that common of a destination (for people in the U.S. anyway) but the city looks amazing. I'd love to visit Moscow. I read a comment on another site from someone in London who had roommates from Moscow, and they said Moscow made London look like a village

Old 03-09-2016, 01:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 9,136,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
It's not all that common of a destination (for people in the U.S. anyway) but the city looks amazing. I'd love to visit Moscow. I read a comment on another site from someone in London who had roommates from Moscow, and they said Moscow made London look like a village
The thing with Moscow is that I think you have to have an appreciation for Russian history and culture before going. Now, Red Square and some central parts are astounding in beauty, but it's true that the people seem very cold and the places where you live if you're not an elite are sometimes downright grimy and dumpy. There is also a feeling of nationalism and slight xenophobia present, especially when people are drunk, which I am not thrilled about.

At the same time, the parks are wonderful, the metro is gorgeous and fast, the people are loyal to a fault after you befriend a few and will ALWAYS invite you to gatherings, parties, or just to drink some tea (sometimes all night). There are places to hang out for whatever kind of person you are (although frankly, it's a bit difficult if you're gay, though there certainly is a gay community). The large majority of people though are decent and incredibly hospitable and very proud of their city. I'd love to go back. I prefer it vastly over London or New York.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:29 PM

1,037 posts, read 976,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The thing with Moscow is that I think you have to have an appreciation for Russian history and culture before going. Now, Red Square and some central parts are astounding in beauty, but it's true that the people seem very cold and the places where you live if you're not an elite are sometimes downright grimy and dumpy. There is also a feeling of nationalism and slight xenophobia present, especially when people are drunk, which I am not thrilled about.

At the same time, the parks are wonderful, the metro is gorgeous and fast, the people are loyal to a fault after you befriend a few and will ALWAYS invite you to gatherings, parties, or just to drink some tea (sometimes all night). There are places to hang out for whatever kind of person you are (although frankly, it's a bit difficult if you're gay, though there certainly is a gay community). The large majority of people though are decent and incredibly hospitable and very proud of their city. I'd love to go back. I prefer it vastly over London or New York.
Great description - I was going to ask you about the vibe of the city and your impressions of the residents.

The current political climate in Russia and the country's history as a communist state no doubt limits a lot of people's interest in visiting Moscow. It just so happens that I'm currently reading a novel called "Children of the Arbat," a book I pulled out of one of my storage boxes at home. Very interesting depiction of Moscow at the time of Stalin's rule.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:56 PM

5,618 posts, read 4,673,638 times
Oranjestad, Aruba.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:59 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,569,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
We have a thread about your favorite city in the United States is and I thought it would be interesting to hear from Americans who have travelled abroad what there favorite city is and why!
So far, my favorite city is Seoul, South Korea. Barcelona is a close second for me though.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:00 PM
PDF

11,389 posts, read 11,541,969 times
Budapest. Prague would be 2nd.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:02 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,748,600 times
Several I can choose from. Los Angeles, Berlin, Budapest, Prague, Vienna, the Dutch Randstad region (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague)... I guess, out of this list, I'd pick L.A. and Berlin.

I would like to see Tokyo, Seoul and Mexico City, too...among many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World