Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:18 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
NO you can protest OUTSIDE! If I have a issue with the Catholic Church I protest outside! You DO NOT disturb a mass! A protest DOSE NOT belong inside a rally. Outside sure, everyone sees it and you message is heard! Now going inside is DISRESPECTFUL, RUDE, and INCONSIDERATE. You don't get it probably because you biases. Next time your watching your movie about Hillary I will be in the room standing in front of the screen, maybe yell a little too! And you guys miss the point this is ONE person NOT the whole crowd. And NO I DO NOT condone violence, but maybe you should NOT be disruptive! There is a CAUSE and EFFECT. CAUSE you disrupt people =pissing them off, EFFECT you get punched! Maybe be respectful and you won't have the issue! You just cannot see this because your biases. Any rational minded person would be able to understand this, not rocket science.
Whatever you say dude LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 11:30 AM

854 posts, read 585,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Wow. Stunning. A Canadian purports to know the composition, unity (or lack thereof) of our society and then how much we care about it and the resulting mental state of our population.
I guess we now know what some Canadians are thinking while they are friendly and polite to our faces.
While I can actually appreciate that you are speaking your mind, be advised that that opens up the discussion for frank response. Welcome to the American way.

Well, free speech is paramount in your country right? So it shouldn't matter how you feel about it or who gets dehumanized in the process. The most important thing is that I get to say whatever the hell I want at any time.

Yes, the American Way

It's great for morale!

Old 03-21-2016, 12:08 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Because Americans do not give a crap about how fractured their society is. They let white nationalists and Black Panthers spout off their mouths consequence-free and defend their right to promote violence and extermination of other peoples, and then wonder why their society has more mentally ill people. Just yuck.
Freedom of speech means letting anybody, fools, bigots, racist, liars and frauds have a say.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."

Noam Chomsky

You begin to go down a long dark road when you start dictating to people what they can and cannot say. Frankly people with your attitude are far more frightening to me then a bunch of White Nationalist and Black Panthers. They may spew bile but they aren't interested in dictating to me how to live and what to say.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:37 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
Those people don't even know what they are protesting about anyways. What's wrong with wanting a border? What wrong with wanting less immigration? What's wrong with wanting to stop making America get screwed in all the trade deals? What's wrong with wanting America to have factories HERE? What's wrong with wanting a military so that you can properly protect yourself? Oh wait you people can't seem to get over the fact that he's somewhat rude. Oh well the pros DEFINITELY out way the cons. That's what all these protesters focus on is the cons. Everyone calls him racist but they miss the part where he says he LOVES the Latino population and Mexico. You guys must miss that part where he says the illegals with a criminal record need to leave. Why is nobody protesting that Hillary is just a bribed politician? Why doesent everyone protest about the corrupt government? Something that is actually a cause you can fight for? This has made me see that the media just controls people so much. No body seems to think for themselves. Once the media brought up the word Bigot and fascist everyone starts to say it. They see a media clip of trump and just buy it. People need to THINK!
What's wrong about understanding the need to get on with times and that globalization is a system that can't be fought through old methods such as the ones you keep promoting. You either make the USA an isolationist country again (but that would come at the cost of the role of superpower it holds nowadays, quality of life of the citizens, diplomatic relationships with several countries, economic stabilities, would hurt a massive chunk of American industries, ecc.)

You know, i think that Trump (which isn't the matter of the original discussion) is that doesn't care about any of the views you hold, he's just trying to get into office. Trump is a man with no ideologies and no set political program which means you don't know what you are going to get. The problem is that he's doing it while spreading fear and even discrimination

As for the bold, the USA just lack a proper culture of protest or at least one that's comparable to the one which is common in European Countries

Old 03-21-2016, 02:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
What's wrong about understanding the need to get on with times and that globalization is a system that can't be fought through old methods such as the ones you keep promoting. You either make the USA an isolationist country again (but that would come at the cost of the role of superpower it holds nowadays, quality of life of the citizens, diplomatic relationships with several countries, economic stabilities, would hurt a massive chunk of American industries, ecc.)

You know, i think that Trump (which isn't the matter of the original discussion) is that doesn't care about any of the views you hold, he's just trying to get into office. Trump is a man with no ideologies and no set political program which means you don't know what you are going to get. The problem is that he's doing it while spreading fear and even discrimination

As for the bold, the USA just lack a proper culture of protest or at least one that's comparable to the one which is common in European Countries
Protesting has become stigmatized in a negative way in the US. In a way it sort of always has been but much more so lately. Protesters have always been labeled as thugs, outsiders, trouble-makers etc. While there are always a few who are trouble-makers, the majority are not. 9 times out of 10, the two sides of any protest get loud but generally keep a distance from one another. Every presidential rally has always had protesters regardless the party. The difference with Trumps is that they become physically violent against the other person.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:32 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Protesting has become stigmatized in a negative way in the US. In a way it sort of always has been but much more so lately. Protesters have always been labeled as thugs, outsiders, trouble-makers etc. While there are always a few who are trouble-makers, the majority are not. 9 times out of 10, the two sides of any protest get loud but generally keep a distance from one another. Every presidential rally has always had protesters regardless the party. The difference with Trumps is that they become physically violent against the other person.
America has to fight this stigmatization against protesting because protesting is the most effective tool people have to defend their rights against rampant liberalism and the polarization of wealth towards a (minoritary although sizeable) chunk of Americans while quality of life for most Americans (particularly working and lower classes) is stagnant while their chances to go up the social scale decrease year after year.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:51 PM

977 posts, read 1,011,368 times
Of course you must protest but it needs to be done rationally. Not tying yourself to the road so people can't go to a rally/ do their business, NOT blocking a major freeway in San fransisco. NOT being completely derogatory. NOT destroying property. You need to protest, but that isn't an excuse to act like an animal. Hey I don't even see animals actually do this type of stuff! Can't we all agree on that?

Old 03-22-2016, 09:10 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Of course you must protest but it needs to be done rationally. Not tying yourself to the road so people can't go to a rally/ do their business, NOT blocking a major freeway in San fransisco. NOT being completely derogatory. NOT destroying property. You need to protest, but that isn't an excuse to act like an animal. Hey I don't even see animals actually do this type of stuff! Can't we all agree on that?
But how do you know how the protesters really acted? The media distorts things drastically.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:35 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
It's strange....I had a classmate who was a White Supremacist. We had a math class where the seating structure required us to sit in groups of 4 facing each other. I sat with her, and she ended up liking me at the end of the class, told me "you are pretty cool for being a Mexican.." and something else I won't repeat.

I was a very confident high school teen who was social and very involved in my school, and had friends of all types. I wasn't scared of her. I would also let her say things that were offensive and try not to take offense to it. But, I think I challenged her mentality, something she was most likely taught at home. These types of people learn these things from their environment and see it as "truth." What happens when your "truth" is challenged, especially when it comes to thinking that all people from a certain race/ethnicity are this or that?

This is why education, travel and actually talking to people who aren't like you are so important.
Most of these folks feel inadequate and are compensating for feeling inadequate a good amount of them from what I have noticed are what many people would refer to as "white trash".

Old 03-25-2016, 02:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Because it gets abused to prosecute someone for being an idiot:

Croydon man who confronted Muslim woman after Brussels attack 'had no idea tweet would be a 'hand grenade'' - Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World