Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 04:05 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times

Advertisements

I had seriously considered Istanbul as a vacation destination for sometime in the next few years. No way now. It's been popular as a leg of some Mediterranean tours, like Greek island cruises, they add Turkey to the itinerary quite often. Or, at least they did before this year. Things can change fast.

Mexico City would probably be quite interesting, but the crime rate, as well as what I've heard about the pollution, make it unlikely I'd visit it. Other parts of Mexico, sure, where there are coastal resorts... but not Mexico City.

If you're a woman travelling alone, there are actually a lot of cities that would get struck off the list of possibilities, at least that's my opinion. Yes, I know, some hardy souls go ahead and make these voyages solo and survive with no major problems, but I wouldn't risk my neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 11:56 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I had seriously considered Istanbul as a vacation destination for sometime in the next few years. No way now.
Same for me.

Russia is another country that I really want to visit but am too afraid. In addition to the amount of horror stories I've heard (like getting beaten up by skinheads and killed by mafia and ****), I feel like it's gonna be really tough visiting Russia if one doesn't speak Russian, and the police seems 4059710358058 kinds of corrupt.
Besides the visa seems to be a pain in the ass to obtain.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:36 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Same for me.

Russia is another country that I really want to visit but am too afraid. In addition to the amount of horror stories I've heard (like getting beaten up by skinheads and killed by mafia and ****), I feel like it's gonna be really tough visiting Russia if one doesn't speak Russian, and the police seems 4059710358058 kinds of corrupt.
Don't visit!
Most of them believe in racial pyramids with the Slavs being at the top.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 PM

^Well I know people from home who've been there and they said they had a great time. One of them even lived in Moscow for a year to learn Russian.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Same for me.

The horror stories are most likely exaggerated. Yes, the neo-nazi groups haunt Asian immigrants, but I think you'll stick out as a tourist like a sore thumb. And in Moscow and Saint Petersburg people are used to tourists. Yes, the police is extremely corrupted, but you can work around it. Google is happy to help.

The Mafia cares about you as much as a rabbit cares about meat. The mafia has access to the top levels of Russian life and earn billions of €, they are not interested in harassing a Taiwanese student.

And there is always the universal gesture language which works everywhere.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:17 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I had seriously considered Istanbul as a vacation destination for sometime in the next few years. No way now. It's been popular as a leg of some Mediterranean tours, like Greek island cruises, they add Turkey to the itinerary quite often. Or, at least they did before this year. Things can change fast.

Mexico City would probably be quite interesting, but the crime rate, as well as what I've heard about the pollution, make it unlikely I'd visit it. Other parts of Mexico, sure, where there are coastal resorts... but not Mexico City.

If you're a woman travelling alone, there are actually a lot of cities that would get struck off the list of possibilities, at least that's my opinion. Yes, I know, some hardy souls go ahead and make these voyages solo and survive with no major problems, but I wouldn't risk my neck.
You actually have to be more careful at coastal resorts than Mexico City itself. Most of the Pacific coast of Mexico (excluding the California peninsula) is very very unsafe, especially the coasts of Sinaloa and Guerrero

Old 08-02-2016, 08:05 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The Mafia cares about you as much as a rabbit cares about meat. The mafia has access to the top levels of Russian life and earn billions of €, they are not interested in harassing a Taiwanese student.

And there is always the universal gesture language which works everywhere.
You act like the Russian mafia is 1 big organization. There are many different groups that kill each other.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Same for me.

Russia is just fine to visit, hell, there is a poster on here now logging his travels.

Of course there is crime there, but I can cherry pick crime in the US and make the US look overly dangerous to visit. You are not important to the mafia groups, they do not care about you.

Moscow and St. Petersburg are well equipped for tourist, Russian not required at all. Russian is not really a need anywhere, lots of people know some English, but the further you venture from the typical tourist hubs, the less tourist friendly, and more important to know some Russian to get around easier.

The police are corrupt, but corruption has gone way, way down on that level. In the early 2000's, I was encountering some cop wanting money very often, over the last couple of years, I have not encountered a single one. The tourist oriented places you will not encounter this, and for cops who do want to scam some money, they are not usually going to mess with a westerner, they go after easier targets like the masses of immigrants from Central Asia.

Visa is easy to get, a little pricey, but easy.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Russia is just fine to visit, hell, there is a poster on here now logging his travels.

Of course there is crime there, but I can cherry pick crime in the US and make the US look overly dangerous to visit. You are not important to the mafia groups, they do not care about you.

Moscow and St. Petersburg are well equipped for tourist, Russian not required at all. Russian is not really a need anywhere, lots of people know some English, but the further you venture from the typical tourist hubs, the less tourist friendly, and more important to know some Russian to get around easier.

The police are corrupt, but corruption has gone way, way down on that level. In the early 2000's, I was encountering some cop wanting money very often, over the last couple of years, I have not encountered a single one. The tourist oriented places you will not encounter this, and for cops who do want to scam some money, they are not usually going to mess with a westerner, they go after easier targets like the masses of immigrants from Central Asia.

Visa is easy to get, a little pricey, but easy.
Well I don't have money anyways. Maybe by the time I'm actually going I don't need visa any more and I'd know someone who speaks Russian and can go with me.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 AM

733 posts, read 603,149 times
All the developing countries and all the middle east countries and most of European countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World