Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:49 AM

382 posts, read 364,834 times

Advertisements

I want to know places you wouldn't visit because you would be afraid for your safety. Yes, we have the given of most countries in Africa, Middle East, and South America in addition to North Korea... but anywhere else for you?

There are some places I'd LOVE to visit but am too afraid to:
1. Istanbul, Turkey
2. Buenos Aires, Argentina
3. Jordan (I'd love to travel all over)
4. Cape Town, South Africa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 09:02 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Countries I'd love to visit but am afraid to:
Turkey (I wouldn't mind it before the crazy bombings that happened during these couple of months though)
Morocco
Russia

Old 03-19-2016, 09:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Papua New Guinea, Iraq, Syria, DR Congo.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:15 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
I want to know places you wouldn't visit because you would be afraid for your safety. Yes, we have the given of most countries in Africa, Middle East, and South America in addition to North Korea... but anywhere else for you?

1. Istanbul, Turkey
I strongly suspect you are a troll given the fact that none of those places are even anywhere near being out of the 'safe' zone.

Either way, I personally feel uncomfortable visiting Honduras, El Salvador, and Syria. I probably wouldn't go to Somalia either. In general, I don't know very much at all about sub-Saharan Africa, but I think I think there are a few more African nations I wouldn't want to visit for safety reasons. Other than that I think most of the world is actually pretty safe and welcoming.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:22 AM

141 posts, read 147,792 times
Syria definitely

Old 03-19-2016, 12:18 PM

382 posts, read 364,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I strongly suspect you are a troll given the fact that none of those places are even anywhere near being out of the 'safe' zone.

Either way, I personally feel uncomfortable visiting Honduras, El Salvador, and Syria. I probably wouldn't go to Somalia either. In general, I don't know very much at all about sub-Saharan Africa, but I think I think there are a few more African nations I wouldn't want to visit for safety reasons. Other than that I think most of the world is actually pretty safe and welcoming.
No troll here!

None of the places I mentioned are horribly dangerous, but there is some risk to tourists. These are places I was planning to visit, but am now reconsidering.

I did research from:

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...n/country.html

Old 03-19-2016, 12:22 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
1. Baltimore
2. New Orleans
3. Detroit
4. St. Louis

Old 03-19-2016, 12:41 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:

1. Istanbul, Turkey
None are really dangerous. Take Buenos Aires for example, it has a lower murder and probably crime rate than most American cities would. While one who considers Philadelphia, San Francisco or Boston say should think otherwise of Buenos Aires?

Jordan is also safe, the government is stable and aside from border areas it's been affected little from war in neighbouring Syria. Cape Town should be safe as long as you keep away from the crime riddled townships. Istanbul has often been the target of terroristic attack but even here the likelihood of being hit are few

Quote:
None of the places I mentioned are horribly dangerous, but there is some risk to tourists. These are places I was planning to visit, but am now reconsidering.

I did research from:

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...n/country.html
Same goes for any city in any country of the so called developed world starting from cities such as Baltimore, Saint Louis, Detroit, Fresno (not that there would be anything interesting to see there), ecc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Papua New Guinea, Iraq, Syria, DR Congo.
I would add Northern Nigeria, particularly out of larger cities, El Salvador and Honduras (only the mainland) and not the island just off the coast. As for Papua, it seems to me that, aside from Port Moresby (with an astonishingly high crime and murder rate), it's safe enough to visit and i guess the same would for large swaths of DR Congo

Old 03-19-2016, 12:59 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
1. Baltimore
2. New Orleans
3. Detroit
4. St. Louis
In Baltimore, the Inner Harbor is pretty and safe. Kids love the aquarium and boat rides. In New Orleans, the French Quarter and Garden District are fine. Lots of street musicians during the festivals.

The other two cities I haven't been to.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:02 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In Baltimore, the Inner Harbor is pretty and safe. Kids love the aquarium and boat rides. In New Orleans, the French Quarter and Garden District are fine. Lots of street musicians during the festivals.

The other two cities I haven't been to.
It most likely was sarcasm directed at the OP for being scared of pretty safe cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World