Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Washington, D.C. 4 6.78%
Chicago 4 6.78%
San Francisco 19 32.20%
Los Angeles 15 25.42%
Miami 9 15.25%
Other city not listed 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 02:00 PM

15,506 posts, read 6,487,351 times

Advertisements

also 4 of the top 5 employers are based in STEM in the DC metro area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 03:37 PM

145 posts, read 161,586 times
Back to the OP's question, Miami has an incredibly positive perception as does LA. This is funny because they are the constant but of jokes on city data.

The question I would have for Europeans is why do they love Miami and LA so much? What makes those cities better than city data darlings like Seattle and San Francisco?

Old 04-16-2016, 10:55 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,419,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDickey View Post
The question I would have for Europeans is why do they love Miami and LA so much? What makes those cities better than city data darlings like Seattle and San Francisco?
LA is one of the top 2 cities in the U.S., one of the top 3 cities in the English speaking world, and is the entertainment capitol of the planet. Miami has a global association with sun, glamour, beaches, nightclubs.

Why would San Francisco and, especially, Seattle, be seen as equally desirable among Europeans? What is Seattle known for that would draw hordes of tourists?

Old 04-16-2016, 10:57 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,419,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
also 4 of the top 5 employers are based in STEM in the DC metro area
Nope. 0 of 5 top employers in the DC metro are STEM.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...employers.html

Old 04-17-2016, 01:02 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,039,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think anyone considers New York City to be desirable, except for the people who live there ...
A jest surely, or perhaps just sour grapes?

Old 04-17-2016, 01:04 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,039,784 times
Quote:
Back to the OP's question, Miami has an incredibly positive perception as does LA. This is funny because they are the constant but of jokes on city data.

I think, particularly for northern Europeans, it's the idea of hot weather.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:52 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,830,809 times
Quote:

I can only speak for Italians but LA is associated with Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the jet set and the filmaking industry whereas Miami is seen as an exotic city, more akin to a Southern American or Caribbean one than something belonging to the USA, and having a brilliant nightlife

At the end it comes down to media presence. Seattle is a city few Italians know about and if they do, it's for Nirvana, Microsoft and the tech industry and let's face it, this isn't what makes a city an attractive location for visitors. San Francisco is more well known but once again lacks the pull (if you talked about its architecture, they would tell you to go to whichever European city; if you talked about the Silicon Valley, they would tell you they didn't know it was near San Francisco; ecc.) on young minds that Los Angeles and Miami have. Case in point: CSI Miami and NCIS Los Angeles both are broadcast in Italy and whatever similar TV series about San Francisco exists isn't

Old 04-17-2016, 08:23 AM

15,506 posts, read 6,487,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Nope. 0 of 5 top employers in the DC metro are STEM.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...employers.html
I'm talking about private sector employment, not the school system (government employees). read my link please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World