Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 10:54 AM

141 posts, read 148,334 times

Advertisements

I don't really have a definite answer for Ethiopia as I think in general the cities are no different to each other in regards to crime and danger.

I'd say the towns/cities where the recent riots took place over the Oromia region are more dangerous at this moment in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 03:50 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,208,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
In America Detroit and Chicago are the classic punching bags but Saint Louis and Baltimore actually had the highest rates among large cities along with New Orleans. Saint Louis
Detroit's homicide rate is on another level in comparison to Chicago's, even with the horrible year Chicago is having. Detroit had the title of the most dangerous city in America until recently, and it's still firmly in the same category as St. Louis, New Orleans, and Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
You have to remember in the USA some cities have a small city / municipal boundary relative to other cities with similar sized metro areas. Chicago city limits has around 3 million residents. St Louis has 10% of that (300,000) but had only half as many murders. STL often has 200 murders per year, a rate of 66 per 100k residents. Now the suburbs of St Louis mostly have zero few homicides.

When you're talking large cities by crime rates the worst are usually St Louis, Detroit, New Orleans.
St. Louis hasn't had 200 murders a year since the 1990s. Even last year, when the wheels came off and the city saw its worst year since the 90s, it didn't hit 200.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,385,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Detroit's homicide rate is on another level in comparison to Chicago's, even with the horrible year Chicago is having. Detroit had the title of the most dangerous city in America until recently, and it's still firmly in the same category as St. Louis, New Orleans, and Baltimore.

St. Louis hasn't had 200 murders a year since the 1990s. Even last year, when the wheels came off and the city saw its worst year since the 90s, it didn't hit 200.
It's sad that those cities are stuck in such violence and defeatism, decade after decade, after decade... it's good to see that the crime rates are declining somewhat in St. Louis, but is that due to the population draining out? I remember hearing hair-raising stories from a Baltimore resident in the early 1990s--there's no reason to think it's improved much since then. New Orleans, Detroit... what's the solution?

Old 04-25-2016, 10:34 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,208,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It's sad that those cities are stuck in such violence and defeatism, decade after decade, after decade... it's good to see that the crime rates are declining somewhat in St. Louis, but is that due to the population draining out? I remember hearing hair-raising stories from a Baltimore resident in the early 1990s--there's no reason to think it's improved much since then. New Orleans, Detroit... what's the solution?
I mean St. Louis is still lower than the 90s, but things were better even just a few years ago. Some say it's the Ferguson Effect, some say it's because the Mexican cartels have been pumping a ridiculous amount of cheap heroin into the area lately, but I honestly don't know what the answer is. I can say that it doesn't have to do with a population decline, as the per capita rates would reflect that. North St. Louis remains spectacularly dangerous, and the Central Corridor and South St. Louis remain pretty safe in comparison.

As for Baltimore, last year was either the worst year on record in Baltimore or one of the worst. I can't remember if it ended topping itself last year, or if that was just a projection.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:27 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,972,070 times
For Australia, I'd have to say Adelaide with Sydney a close second. Most cities here are relatively safe compared to the world though.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,887,776 times
Helsinki, lolz. Mainly because there's the most OC, most of the country's homeless, tourists - both foreign and domestic and attractions.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:55 AM

810 posts, read 670,486 times
Chicago or St. Louis....lots of crime, racial frustration, too many low SES areas

Old 01-18-2017, 09:42 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,363,322 times
Argentina: Rosario

Belgium: Liege

Brazil: Salvador

Colombia: Buenaventura

France: Marseille

Italy: Napoli

Mexico: Ciudad Juarez

Peru: Tumbes

Turkey: Diyarbakir

Ukraine: Dnipropetrovsk

USA: St. Louis

Old 01-18-2017, 10:51 AM

8,877 posts, read 8,490,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Reports say that Osaka is the most dangerous city of Japan.
Not sure what the most dangerous cities of China are... many say Guangzhou/Shenzhen/Chongqing.
I think the notion that Osaka is dangerous is mostly an inside joke amongst the Japanese.

And they say that Dongguan, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou are the most dangerous cities in China. Apparently they call Dongguan the Baghdad of China or something.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:14 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,060,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
The murder and crime rate all of the US is dropping as it is over most of the western world. That includes The Big Easy, Mobtown and the Motor City. In most cities in the US, the vast majority of murders will occur within certain zones where gang violence is rampant. Stay out of those areas and you're far more likely to get hit by a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World