Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most tolerant city?
San Francisco, USA 19 28.79%
Vancouver, Canada 8 12.12%
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 3 4.55%
Buenos Aires, Argentina 3 4.55%
Madrid, Spain 5 7.58%
Barcelona, Spain 7 10.61%
Lisbon, Portugal 3 4.55%
London, UK 10 15.15%
Paris, France 2 3.03%
Amsterdam, Netherlands 27 40.91%
Tel Aviv, Israel 4 6.06%
Sydney, Australia 5 7.58%
Melbourne, Australia 5 7.58%
Bangkok, Thailand 1 1.52%
New York City, USA 7 10.61%
Toronto, Canada 9 13.64%
Mexico City, Mexico 3 4.55%
Bologna, Italy 4 6.06%
Berlin, Germany 9 13.64%
Zurich, Switzerland 1 1.52%
Other-Tell us the answer in the thread 9 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 01:39 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Anyway, if I were to make any guesses at other world cities that appear to me to be tolerant, they would be:

Berlin
Brussels
Amsterdam
London
Toronto
Sydney

As I've already mentioned, the US city that would top this list would be Seattle.

I can make a case for Seattle but I'm open to suggestions on my other picks.
Playing devils advocate here, but actually curious. How is Toronto more tolerant than Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 01:40 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,437,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

So is SF tolerant of Republicans? Religious or social conservatives? Not so much.
Yes, it is.
Christian republicans can perfectly marry to opposite sex in the their churches, vote for republicans and lose their life watching fox news at home. In the heart of San Francisco.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:42 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,364,960 times
Spain is always regarded as the most LGBT-friendly country on Earth and Madrid is generally seen as the most tolerant city in Spain, so that's why I voted for Madrid along with a few others. But I think Madrid and Spain in general are vastly underrated when it comes to their tolerance. The city doesn't have the diversity of places like Toronto, London, Seattle, etc., but I never met anyone there that seemed to have any bias against a group of people. Not many Africans have moved to Spain as compared to other European countries, but I never heard any racist remarks from the Madrilenos. And the Latin American immigrants seem to have assimilated quite well over the past few decades. The only country they seem to have a bias towards is Mexico but that's more because they see Mexican Spanish as an abomination the way Parisians view French in Quebec. But Madrid also had the largest Europride festival and has one of the largest gay pride parades in the world--I think it's second largest after Sao Paulo's and Sao Paulo is about 3-4x larger than Madrid.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:42 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,411,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Playing devils advocate here, but actually curious. How is Toronto more tolerant than Vancouver?
I forgot to include Vancouver

Old 04-16-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'd say they're both tolerant cities, extremely so when compared to their southern neighbors lol. But Toronto is the more diverse one and I think that gives it a slight edge. If Vancouver had the same ethnic diversity of Toronto, I would see it being #1 most tolerant in the world. It does still deserve a top 5 spot though!

Old 04-16-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Spain is always regarded as the most LGBT-friendly country on Earth and Madrid is generally seen as the most tolerant city in Spain, so that's why I voted for Madrid along with a few others. But I think Madrid and Spain in general are vastly underrated when it comes to their tolerance. The city doesn't have the diversity of places like Toronto, London, Seattle, etc., but I never met anyone there that seemed to have any bias against a group of people. Not many Africans have moved to Spain as compared to other European countries, but I never heard any racist remarks from the Madrilenos. And the Latin American immigrants seem to have assimilated quite well over the past few decades. The only country they seem to have a bias towards is Mexico but that's more because they see Mexican Spanish as an abomination the way Parisians view French in Quebec. But Madrid also had the largest Europride festival and has one of the largest gay pride parades in the world--I think it's second largest after Sao Paulo's and Sao Paulo is about 3-4x larger than Madrid.
I was going to say the Mexicans/Mexican-Amricans I know who've been there would not describe it as tolerant LOL

Old 04-16-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Yes, it is.
Christian republicans can perfectly marry to opposite sex in the their churches, vote for republicans and lose their life watching fox news at home. In the heart of San Francisco.
I actually even had a hardcore right wing professor in SF too. He was pro-life and against gay marriage. A lot of people in the school hated that he had tenure and was so opposite of their viewpoints. Personally, I saw no problem with it. I'm gay myself and some of what he said was quite shocking (being born gay is a birth defect). But still, it's an educational setting in a large worldly city and felt as though his opinions should be expressed just as much as others. I was in the minority at my university though, since most wanted him fired. Which I guess now that I'm remembering that, it does show how intolerant SF is towards viewpoints against theirs. But he was a nice guy and didn't think gays should be persecuted and such, but especially in a university, it's nice to have your views challenged. These kids didn't even want their views challenged.

1,212 posts, read 1,437,279 times
Some of the worst stories I've heard about racism were in Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'd say they're both tolerant cities, extremely so when compared to their southern neighbors lol. But Toronto is the more diverse one and I think that gives it a slight edge. If Vancouver had the same ethnic diversity of Toronto, I would see it being #1 most tolerant in the world. It does still deserve a top 5 spot though!
I'm not sure if ethnic and racial diversity is a good indicator. Some cities are VERY diverse in these areas but tensions between the groups runs very high. This is the case with Los Angeles.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm not sure if ethnic and racial diversity is a good indicator. Some cities are VERY diverse in these areas but tensions between the groups runs very high. This is the case with Los Angeles.
That's a good point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World