Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:37 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
The problem is that it's distinct of other systems. In Paris, for example, the lines follow always the same path and stop in the same stations. BTW, I have never been to NYC, but a lot of people told me that the subway there is even weirder.
The Lines on the London Underground link up and stop at the same stations, you can even change to another line at numerous stations or to other transport sysyems from suburban regional rail through to National Rail as well as London Transports own transport system such as London Overground, Thameslink, Docklands Light Railway, Tranlink and London buses which have bus stations beside tube stations. The London syatem is very intergrated and Crossrail will be further intergrated in to the system as you just change platforms at Tube and rail stations to access it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 08:27 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Paris, Madrid, London, Moscow, NYC, Milan

I haven't been to Moscow but assume it can't be worse than NYC, because it is hard to be. Milan is a much smaller city.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:55 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Lines on the London Underground link up and stop at the same stations, you can even change to another line at numerous stations or to other transport sysyems from suburban regional rail through to National Rail as well as London Transports own transport system such as London Overground, Thameslink, Docklands Light Railway, Tranlink and London buses which have bus stations beside tube stations. The London syatem is very intergrated and Crossrail will be further intergrated in to the system as you just change platforms at Tube and rail stations to access it.
I have plans to visit London again. I visited Paris three times, but London only once. In the next time, I will check this more carefully.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:10 AM

820 posts, read 953,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Transport for London does not make a profit, and the London system has seen massive investment and this has been reflected in fares.

Reinvesting In Transport - Transport For London
Yes like all transports in big cities..RATP (Transports for Paris) received 4 billion euros each year from the government and Paris Region to survive.
Grand Paris will cost 24 billion euros more. 4 times more than Paris Olympic Games

Old 09-28-2017, 07:19 AM

820 posts, read 953,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Overall though the system is quite old and dirty.

And no, our friend who spoke a little French asked her in French for help and she immediately gave us a disgusted look when we spoke to each other in English. We politely asked in Spanish if she spoke Spanish, politely asked in English if she spoke English, and politely asked in Italian if she spoke Italian. She refused to answer our questions, so our friend that speaks very little French tried again and she was completely unwilling to even TRY to understand her or help us out. In Geneva, anyone that noticed we didn't speak French tried their hardest to assist us in English. And the friend that spoke a little bit of French was spoken to slowly in small words so that she could understand them well and figure things out. We were not rude AT ALL to the woman at the ticketing booth, and we never once tried to act like rude Americans and just immediately assume she spoke English.
It is not because you think you are not rude that you are not for French standards. 90% of Americans I met in Paris are rude to me even if I Know it's their culture. They don t start a conversation by "Good morning/afternoon, excuse me to disturb you, do you have some minutes to help me (to find my way)"

And Frankly, people are very busy in Paris in the morning to go to work, so you must be polite if you want help.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Yes like all transports in big cities..RATP (Transports for Paris) received 4 billion euros each year from the government and Paris Region to survive.
Grand Paris will cost 24 billion euros more. 4 times more than Paris Olympic Games
Here's London's recent and projected spending on impovements rather than operational finances.

Already Underway/Completed -

£5.4 Bllion on the first phase of London Underground refurbishment mainly involving the upgrading of sub-surface lines and providing 192 new state of the art 'S' class trains and rolling stock (Completed).

£15 Billion on Crossrail (Complete 2018/19)

£6.5 on Thameslink (Complete 2018)

£1.5 Billion London Overground (this is mainly for the East London Line extension and upgrade, however this does not include the current order for new stock)

£1.2 Billion Northern Line Extension to Battesea (Currently Under Construction)

Which gives us £29.6 Billion, however this doesn't include vast projects such as upgrading mainline stations such as Kings Cross, St Pancras International (HS1), Stratford International or the current £800 Million Waterloo Station upgrade.

Future Projected Spending includes -

£16.42 billion on the next phase of London Underground upgrades involving the deep level lines and 250 new trains and rolling stock as part of the 'New Tube for London'. The first new trains are set to start running on the Piccadilly line in 2023.

£3.1 Billion Bakerloo Line Extension

£31 Billion - Crossrail 2

Which amounts to £50.52 Spending which when added to the £29.6 Billion already spent, gives a total investment of £80.12 Billion.

There are other London Transport Improvements not included including Dockland Light Railway planned extension, South London Tramlink extension and other London Underground proposed improvements such as the Croxley Rail Link (Metroplitan London) and the Central Line Extension to Uxbridge, whilst London Overground also has extension plans in relation to Barking Riverside and then to Thameside and Abbey Wood to conncet with Crossrail, and there is also the prospect of new lines and stations joining the Overground system.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-28-2017 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-28-2017, 08:15 AM

Old 09-28-2017, 11:41 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World