Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:11 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I think you missed my entire point. New York City doesn't have that authority. New York STATE does (as in Albany). Those are two very different things. Everyone in NYC, myself included, agrees with you. Unfortunately, we have to convince the State government to stop cutting our funding for the MTA. We often have to settle for compromise in order for Cuomo to please the Upstaters. Often times it feels like we send ****tons of taxpayer money up to Albany never to be seen again. It really sucks, but the blame is not on New York City, but New York State.
One way to get more of New York State behind the MTA is to get MTA to service more of New York State. One pathway to doing that is to get the more southern counties and their municipalities that are west of the Hudson into the commuter shed. As part of that, the new Tappan Zee Bridge which I listed earlier as crucial for creating enough service to make an RER type line in NYC needs to have a commuter rail service servicing all the way up to Kingston at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:14 PM

13 posts, read 9,434 times
1. Madrid
2. Paris
3. London
4. Moscow
5. New York

I don't know nothing about the Milan one. Probably it would have the right spot between Moscow and NY ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashesqwanna View Post
meters you mean metros?

if so MADRID blows the other off the water!!!

Considering the city has 3 million people, it has the most lines and subway stations per capita than any of those cities mentioned above. It's also a really modern metro, efficient, clean. There is NOT a single place in Madrid that you cannot get to by metro!

NYC metro is old, smells, and not very clean.... plus the air conditioned is terrible, they blast it! (plus the famous rat, roach problem)

London metro is too expensive, and it's very old so the city grew around it rather than the metro growing around the city... as a result the tube is many times located in areas that are not neuralgic to the city and areas which truly need a tube sometimes don't have a the tube nearby.

milan metro is meh... not very large... it's rather basic good for the city size but nothing to write home about

moscow metro has impressive stations but I still like madrid better

paris metro is after madrid the best

my ranking would be:
MADRID : 13 lines covering a greater urban area of 6 million people.
PARIS : 16 lines covering an urban area of 12 million people.
MOSCOW : 12 lines covering an urban area of 12 million people.
NYC : 34 lines if you count the outer boroughs (queens, brooklyn, bronx) covering an area of 22 million people. Tri state
LONDON: 11 lines covering an greater urban area of 13 million people.
MILAN : 4 lines covering a greater urban area of 5 million.

have in mind Madrid is the size of Milan (both much smaller than the other four choices), that shows you how well covered Madrid is when it comes to its metro! Madrid is five times smaller than London with more metro lines!

You nailed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
Madrid has 13 metro lines, 4 light metro (basically tram) lies + 10 Cercanias lines (equivalent to RER)
And a population of half the size of Paris. Madrid public transport is much more extensive than PAris metro by far (i.e.: metro systems are kind of the same size but MAdrid is half the size of Paris)
You're the man! Applause for you. Madrid smacks all of the others, even Paris, why? Cleanliness, efficiency, most modern trains and stations! Paris is excellent but it's not that clean as Madrid is.

Madrid is also the most extended by very far in relationship of total extension and population. Madrid has barely a few lesser lines than Paris having half of the population (metro area, 6.5 million vs 12 million). Madrid now got 14 metro lines, 5 trams aka light metro and 10 cercanias which are RER. Plus the AVE (high speed) which connects other cities but you can take it from close to the airport to the west of Madrid.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:31 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barikello View Post
1. Madrid
2. Paris
3. London
4. Moscow
5. New York

I don't know nothing about the Milan one. Probably it would have the right spot between Moscow and NY ?

You nailed it

You're the man! Applause for you. Madrid smacks all of the others, even Paris, why? Cleanliness, efficiency, most modern trains and stations! Paris is excellent but it's not that clean as Madrid is.

Madrid is also the most extended by very far in relationship of total extension and population. Madrid has barely a few lesser lines than Paris having half of the population (metro area, 6.5 million vs 12 million). Madrid now got 14 metro lines, 5 trams aka light metro and 10 cercanias which are RER. Plus the AVE (high speed) which connects other cities but you can take it from close to the airport to the west of Madrid.
Well the comparisons are quite badly...made. Fortunately Paris hasn't the metro only, and the RER too. Else it would be impossible for people to live in suburbs lol.
Either it's inner Paris and its Metro/RER/Tramways
or it's "entire Paris" and its metro/Tramways and the Transilien Network (that includes the "RER" (which is a brand btw)). While the 9 cercaniashave a length of 370km, with 90 stations, the Transilien network has 15 lines, 383 stations and a length of 1300km. In Paris the metro is inside Paris itself, no suburbs, and suburbs have the Transilien that is connected to Paris itself. For example the lines H,J and L = 280million passengers per year, so it should be taken into account...
The metro, the real one in Paris, is 220km and has 302 stations for 16 lines. It's the densest in the world, and actually too dense. RATP could remove 50 stations...and clean the others more lol.

The only metro that is outside Paris is under construction and it ll be 200km more and 68 stations. But that ll be later.
The extreme majority of the 1600km of network are accessible with the Navigo card that is, I repeat, 73euros per month and half reimbursed by your company. Not too bad. I just wish it could be cleaner yes... perfection doesn't exist, only in Japan maybe lol.

One can admire btw that the parisian metro is in a shape of a "star". That's why central stations, specially Les Halles are ultra busy which is a serious bad point. The objective the GPE is to break this star shape by making suburb to suburb commutation possible, without entering in Paris. And reducing the pressure on the network inside Paris too. With the cleanliness, this star design is also a bad point for Paris. The change will be incredible when inner Paris and its RERs/metros will lose -25% of frequentation. Maybe it ll be finally a little bit more clean.

To understand:

Metro that is stricto census a "parisian thing":

The future metro that ll be connected to the old one, and this time outside the périphérique:

Transilien network (mostly outside Paris):

Last edited by Pokitobounto; 08-31-2017 at 12:14 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 04:41 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
London like Paris has a lot of suburban heavy rail links, with the Elizabeth line (Crossrail) to be added to the maps next year.

London Rail and Underground Services Map

Maps - Transport for London

List of London railway stations - Wikipedia

List of busiest railway stations in Great Britain - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-31-2017 at 04:58 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
London like Paris has a lot of suburban heavy rail links, with the Elizabeth line (Crossrail) to be added to the maps next year.

London Rail and Underground Services Map

Maps - Transport for London

List of London railway stations - Wikipedia

List of busiest railway stations in Great Britain - Wikipedia

Indeed, very interesting. The London underground would have the denomination of "RER" in Paris. The London underground IS actually a sort of improved RER for us (parisians lol). Anyway I'm not sure Madrid has much more transportations per capita than London or Paris. Inner Paris certainly not. They are both very developped even if their network are older. But it's normal, they grew before Madrid, and grew that big thanks to these old school metros & co .

Old 09-01-2017, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Indeed, very interesting. The London underground would have the denomination of "RER" in Paris. The London underground IS actually a sort of improved RER for us (parisians lol). Anyway I'm not sure Madrid has much more transportations per capita than London or Paris. Inner Paris certainly not. They are both very developped even if their network are older. But it's normal, they grew before Madrid, and grew that big thanks to these old school metros & co .

Furthermore London and Paris are the only two cities of their size and importance with a direct link, whereby you can get off the underground at Kings Cross/St Pancras or Guard De Nord and connect to a train which within 2 hours will have you in the centre of the other city.

SNCF seeks private partner to deliver Gare du Nord redevelopment

SNCF reveals plan to transform Gare du Nord by 2023

St Pancras International: Home

Old 09-01-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Furthermore London and Paris are the only two cities of their size and importance with a direct link, whereby you can get off the underground at Kings Cross/St Pancras or Guard De Nord and connect to a train which within 2 hours will have you in the centre of the other city.

SNCF seeks private partner to deliver Gare du Nord redevelopment

SNCF reveals plan to transform Gare du Nord by 2023

St Pancras International: Home

Ah Gare du Nord gare du nord....

At the beginning the project was 800M euros, now it's around 300M euros, shame because this train station need to be "young" again, refurbished. they started in the RER area, it's better but not upstair. I guess they wanted something more down to earth and that could be ready for 2024 (Olymp.G). Let's see... I'm carefull with these renovations, there's most often time the "expectations vs reality" lol. Specially in very big places like this. I remember the refurbishment of the RER wharf in Gare de Lyon . "lol"
Yet, Saint lazare was a huge success (250M euros) and the train station is now really wonderfull, I hope GDN will be the same!

The most important as parisian is to see how les Halles will end up when constructions will be finished. This place is exhausting.

But yes, london and paris are more connected than plenty of big cities in a single country. Eurostar is a great success. Now if GDN could finally gives the image that Paris deserves it could be great lol. I hate this place.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Ah Gare du Nord gare du nord....

At the beginning the project was 800M euros, now it's around 300M euros, shame because this train station need to be "young" again, refurbished. they started in the RER area, it's better but not upstair. I guess they wanted something more down to earth and that could be ready for 2024 (Olymp.G). Let's see... I'm carefull with these renovations, there's most often time the "expectations vs reality" lol. Specially in very big places like this. I remember the refurbishment of the RER wharf in Gare de Lyon . "lol"
Yet, Saint lazare was a huge success (250M euros) and the train station is now really wonderfull, I hope GDN will be the same!

The most important as parisian is to see how les Halles will end up when constructions will be finished. This place is exhausting.

But yes, london and paris are more connected than plenty of big cities in a single country. Eurostar is a great success. Now if GDN could finally gives the image that Paris deserves it could be great lol. I hate this place.
I did read about the new Les Halles Shopping Centre and transport interchange, along with a new public garden.

Les Halles redevelopment project | Réaménagement des Halles

As for Gare du Nord, I would welcome any refurbishment and redevelopment, as it is a gateway in to Paris for many people.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:06 AM

The Crossrail station at Canary wharf in London has a vast roof garden and has a vast new US style BBQ Lobstershack Restaturant called 'The Big Easy', although Crossrail won't be fully operational until December 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City AM

Big Easy serving “low and slow” meat and seafood cooked in pit rooms that house two tonne US smokers. The sheer size of this venue – to give you an idea, it employs 170 staff – means it also accommodates an American breakfast menu, featuring brisket Eggs Benedict and Nutella Smores Cronuts, and a takeaway service for a quick lobster roll or pulled pork sandwich during your lunch hour.

Working Lunch review: Big Easy, Canary Wharf | City A.M.

Canary Wharf Crossrail station | London Resident Magazine

Bar.B.Q, Lobstershack, Live music

Crossrail roof garden - Landscape Institute

Picture Link

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-01-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Old 09-01-2017, 06:31 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Best thing about Paris metro: the hot guys
https://www.instagram.com/mecsmetroparis/

Otherwise it's horrible. Poorly managed, smelly, grim, and feels incredibly unsafe. However, it's at least reasonably priced, which puts it above the likes of London Underground, whose rates make you not want to get near it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World