Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 05:13 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times

Advertisements

Accents in Italian don't have a specific pronounciation, they just mean that you have to stress the particular syllable (from what I have understood)

For instance the word "perché" is written by most people as "perchè". For me this is really strange because it sounds completely different and that in French you never meet words ending with "è". This morning in class I had kids writing the world "prèfèrè" which is an absolute heresy (they were 11 yo though so I wasn't too nasty)

The words used for weekdays all end up with an accent on the i: Lunedì, martedì, mercoledì.... Because otherwise people would naturally pronounce LuNEdi, marTEdi, merCOledi, etc... instead with the accents on the last later they just pronounce it normally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 01:30 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Accents in French and Spanish are very easy to remember for some reason. But not in Italian, as I have no idea what their function are.
Accents are used only to indicate that you should stress a particular syllabe, most of the times they are used they fall on the last syllabe. Aside from that, when writing Italians don't care whether it's an acute or grave accent, what's important is that there is one

Old 04-22-2016, 03:13 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
The problem is it is only written at the end of words.

For instance in the case of two words written the same way with two different meanings, for instance "ancora" and "ancora", you have to stress a different syllable whether it means "again" or "anchor", but nobody writes the accent. I've had at least four different people explain me the difference of pronounciation between the two words, but everytime I think I've got it, it turns out I'm wrong. It is very hard for french people to pay attention to stressed syllables because it is a concept that does not exist in French. Like I can barely hear a small difference. And anyway everyone in Italy has a different pronounciation, what works in a place does not work anymore 50 km away. I still don't really know which syllable to stress when I use it, and this is a problem for most italian words actually, you have to remember the stressed syllable, and that is stressful.

(sorry for derailing the thread, I'm thinking about cities right now)

Old 04-23-2016, 07:40 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Nigeria

Abuja
Kano
Benin City
Ibadan
Port Harcourt
Lagos
Maiduguri

Ivory Coast

Abidjan
Yamossoukro

Ghana

Kumasi
Accra

Cameroon

Douala
Yaounde

Gabon

Libreville
Port Gentil

Benin

Cotonou
Porto Novo

Togo

Lome

Old 04-27-2016, 11:09 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,683,986 times
Probably around 500.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:03 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Do villages in India count?

I can probably name about 50 of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World