U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:57 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,254,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Not really. California has a lovely laid-back, creative vibe I've not experienced in the US before, and the natural scenery is indeed breathtaking. Having said that I've only been there twice (in my 15 times to the US in total) compared to five visits to Italy which wins easily in high culture, history and architecture. I love both places equally though
There's no Yosemite, no Redwood and no Tahoe in Italy. There's no Death Valley. There are fewer beaches in Italy, too. The weather isn't as nice as California nor diverse as California weather. I prefer the wines in California over Italy. So California got this one over Italy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 10:14 PM

16,539 posts, read 24,100,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
You are right. However, what the Central Mediterranean would be lacking are Oceanic leaning climates in the mold of San Francisco and Eureka, desertic climates such as California's Southeast or climates with summer highs as warm as San Fernando's or Redding's (precipitation wouldn't be a problem but highs would)

Lecce, Catania and Foggia are the warmest climates Italy has but they are nowhere near being as warm as San Fernando Valley or even Redding
San Francisco is considered Mediterranean, not oceanic.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:16 PM

16,539 posts, read 24,100,815 times
Quote:
Italians are more self deprecating than you think. The only thing we are able to take pride in are our cuisine, our cultural heritage and depending on cases our birthplace.

Etna or Stromboli erupt every other year but the last major eruption is still that of the Vesuvio in 1944.
True.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:44 AM

7,115 posts, read 4,525,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
it is an extremely cool version of mediterranean, though. It is classified as such only because of the mild winters and summer's lack of precipitation, otherwise those summers are more in tune with Brest, France (for the temperature I mean).

Old 04-26-2016, 07:45 AM

8,134 posts, read 11,941,956 times
Quote:
Yep, always loved those miles and miles of olive groves in and around the rolling hills of San Francisco, in fact, the world's greatest grade-A virgin olive oil comes from there, cold pressed and everything.

Last edited by bale002; 04-26-2016 at 08:01 AM..

Old 04-26-2016, 08:01 AM

1,274 posts, read 1,041,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
There's no Yosemite, no Redwood and no Tahoe in Italy. There's no Death Valley. There are fewer beaches in Italy, too. The weather isn't as nice as California nor diverse as California weather. I prefer the wines in California over Italy. So California got this one over Italy.
There's no Florence, Rome or Venice (Venice Beach doesn't count ) in Cali either.

But, I'd visit both again in a heartbeat and I've been to LA and SF twice in the last six months

Old 04-26-2016, 11:03 AM

2,986 posts, read 2,352,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
When it comes to beaches, Italy certainly has more than California given that its coasts are longer and they are suitable for a longer period of the year given that Italy isn't affected by a cold marine current in the same way California is. Italy has little sandy coves, long sandy beaches, rocky beaches surrounded by cliffs, black volcanic beaches, ecc. there's for all tastes

Italy may not have Yosemites, Redwood or Tahoe. But in the same way, it has highly scenic sceneries which California doesn't have such as the Dolomites, the Crete Senesi, the cliffs of Ogliastra, the marshes of the delta of the Po river, ecc.

Now, i'm not claiming that Italian natural beauty is more than that of California but it isn't far from it, just not as well known to you (you haven't heard of the places i have listed just like i never heard of Redwood). Aside from that, it's subjective of course.

Quote:
Yeah but it has oceanic influences. Temps are influenced and climate is extremely influenced from the sea who keeps the coast mild throughout the year, the rain pattern is of course the same of a mediterranean climate and what turns it into one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Yep, always loved those miles and miles of olive groves in and around the rolling hills of San Francisco, in fact, the world's greatest grade-A virgin olive oil comes from there, cold pressed and everything.
Doesn't surprise me, by the way Apulia is also known for its olive groves and for being the major producer in the country. The Southern half of the region has been hit with a bacteria called xylella (who came from California by the way ) which has put several farmers in difficulty

So maybe if you see it in the shelf of a store purchase Apulian olive oil, it's of the highest quality

Last edited by improb; 04-26-2016 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-26-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
There's no Florence, Rome or Venice (Venice Beach doesn't count ) in Cali either.

But, I'd visit both again in a heartbeat and I've been to LA and SF twice in the last six months
There's no Hollywood and Big Sur, too. There's no english. No high Tech Capital in Italy.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
When it comes to beaches, Italy certainly has more than California given that its coasts are longer and they are suitable for a longer period of the year given that Italy isn't affected by a cold marine current in the same way California is. Italy has little sandy coves, long sandy beaches, rocky beaches surrounded by cliffs, black volcanic beaches, ecc. there's for all tastes

Italy may not have Yosemites, Redwood or Tahoe. But in the same way, it has highly scenic sceneries which California doesn't have such as the Dolomites, the Crete Senesi, the cliffs of Ogliastra, the marshes of the delta of the Po river, ecc.

Now, i'm not claiming that Italian natural beauty is more than that of California but it isn't far from it, just not as well known to you (you haven't heard of the places i have listed just like i never heard of Redwood). Aside from that, it's subjective of course.

Yeah but it has oceanic influences. Temps are influenced and climate is extremely influenced from the sea who keeps the coast mild throughout the year, the rain pattern is of course the same of a mediterranean climate and what turns it into one

Doesn't surprise me, by the way Apulia is also known for its olive groves and for being the major producer in the country. The Southern half of the region has been hit with a bacteria called xylella (who came from California by the way ) which has put several farmers in difficulty

So maybe if you see it in the shelf of a store purchase Apulian olive oil, it's of the highest quality
No Sequoia National Park, no Lassen Volcanic Park in Italy. California has Carmel, Medicino and Malibu. Don't forget the Sacramento Delta. It's still the agriculture capital of the world.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:42 AM

18,538 posts, read 16,022,856 times
Quote:
Most Mediterranean climates have Oceanic influence, which explains the winters.

San Francisco's climate isn't due to Oceanic influence in the way that Cfb climates are, but rather just the fact the the sea is very cold for it's latitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World