U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 12:04 PM

22,094 posts, read 23,291,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
There's no Hollywood
Thank the high heavens for that. :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 12:07 PM

2,986 posts, read 2,437,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Most Mediterranean climates have Oceanic influence, which explains the winters.

San Francisco's climate isn't due to Oceanic influence in the way that Cfb climates are, but rather just the fact the the sea is very cold for it's latitude.
Yeah, it may not reflect the Oceanic climate to the perfection but the California Cold Current makes the influence of the ocean larger than most Mediterranean climates

Quote:
No Sequoia National Park, no Lassen Volcanic Park in Italy. California has Carmel, Medicino and Malibu. Don't forget the Sacramento Delta. It's still the agriculture capital of the world.
Ok, California is better, you win

So now the rest of us can return to have a decent discussion.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:57 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,078,820 times
Quote:
There's no Hollywood...
But there is Cinecitta! Lot's of amazing cinema has been produced there

Italy in general is no slouch when it comes to cinema and I generally gravitate more towards foreign film over Hollywood anyway.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:44 PM

16,559 posts, read 24,628,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
it is an extremely cool version of mediterranean, though. It is classified as such only because of the mild winters and summer's lack of precipitation, otherwise those summers are more in tune with Brest, France (for the temperature I mean).
That I can agree with. It is cool Mediterranean and to be quite honest, it's outer neighborhoods really are oceanic in my opinion with chilly summer fog that condenses on surfaces and roads. Oakland across the bay is distinctly warmer.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Most Mediterranean climates have Oceanic influence, which explains the winters.

San Francisco's climate isn't due to Oceanic influence in the way that Cfb climates are, but rather just the fact the the sea is very cold for it's latitude.
I like this explanation. Mediterranean climates are really a transition zone between oceanic and desert and there are qualities of both depending on the time of year.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Yeah, it may not reflect the Oceanic climate to the perfection but the California Cold Current makes the influence of the ocean larger than most Mediterranean climates
Eh kinda sorta. Once you get to the true oceanic climate farther north, you can see the differences. Eureka California is truly oceanic as is Astoria Oregon.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:41 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,919,295 times
Quote:
Italy has also a relatively low crime rate, is expensive, crowded and earthquake prone. It's an apt comparison to California although probably not the aptest
One thing that makes Italy and Japan different (opposite) is that Japan is fast paced, advanced, ahead of its time, efficient, and the people are prompt and reliable; while Italy is more slow paced, behind the times, not so efficient and reliable, and people do things when they feel like culture (they say "domani" a lot, which literally translates as "tomorrow" but they really mean whenever they feel like it).

So which do you think California is more like? From my experience the culture of Southern California was "laid back", but frusterating when I needed things done fast. Most people in Socal are not in a rush and don't have any urgency, so that is similar to Italian culture).

I guess Southern and Northern California are different, but so is Northern Italy vs. Southern in similar ways.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:53 PM

2,986 posts, read 2,437,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
One thing that makes Italy and Japan different (opposite) is that Japan is fast paced, advanced, ahead of its time, efficient, and the people are prompt and reliable; while Italy is more slow paced, behind the times, not so efficient and reliable, and people do things when they feel like culture (they say "domani" a lot, which literally translates as "tomorrow" but they really mean whenever they feel like it).

So which do you think California is more like? From my experience the culture of Southern California was "laid back", but frusterating when I needed things done fast. Most people in Socal are not in a rush and don't have any urgency, so that is similar to Italian culture).

I guess Southern and Northern California are different, but so is Northern Italy vs. Southern in similar ways.
I will let this answer to a Californian who knows certainly better than me about the dynamics of the place. However, Italy can be fast paced, it's just that it isn't according to the usual stereotypes but if you step a foot in Milan, Turin or the industrial centers of the North you will notice that while they may not reach the extremes of Japan they can be efficent, fast paced and advanced (i would bring the different to urban vs rural to the same degree as Northern vs Southern on this matter).

By the way, i don't understand in what way Italy is actually behind the times. This is a Western European country, not Uganda (with all respect of whoever lives there).

Old 04-28-2016, 04:00 PM

15,931 posts, read 11,331,960 times
I like both

I've been to California...guessing....maybe 25 times? Italy 4.

I've never really felt I was in Italy when I've been in California. A bit of Mexico perhaps, a bit of Spain maybe.

Regardless, both offer good and bad. Although in terms of history and art....Italy wins by far...like really, really far.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I will let this answer to a Californian who knows certainly better than me about the dynamics of the place. However, Italy can be fast paced, it's just that it isn't according to the usual stereotypes but if you step a foot in Milan, Turin or the industrial centers of the North you will notice that while they may not reach the extremes of Japan they can be efficent, fast paced and advanced (i would bring the different to urban vs rural to the same degree as Northern vs Southern on this matter).

By the way, i don't understand in what way Italy is actually behind the times. This is a Western European country, not Uganda (with all respect of whoever lives there).
Northern California is fast paced relative to southern California and the rest of the west coast. Compared to truly fast paced places, it really isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World