Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:05 AM

2,975 posts, read 2,804,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
There's no Mediterranean type climate in eastern Asia. Milder and wetter in Japan is more like the humid subtropical type climate of the US east coast (from Virginia southward). This make sense as Japan like the US east coast is influenced by a warm ocean current. California, like the western side of other continents is influenced by a cold ocean current. This produces markedly different weather patterns that will interact with the land differently. Japan is prone to tropical cyclones (Typhoons), California is not and has a more stable pattern that favors cool ocean fog. California, like other Mediterranean areas has a pronounced dry season in summer. Japan does not.
I'm fully aware of it. Maybe you misunderstood my reply. I think that climate wise the closest spot to California is on the Atlantic coast rather than the Central Mediterranean.

Figueira da Foz -> San Francisco
Essaouira->San Diego
San Jose->Porto
Santa Monica->Casablanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
As for the low crime rate, Japan and California are very similar. They are also very expensive, crowded, and earthquake prone.
Italy has also a relatively low crime rate, is expensive, crowded and earthquake prone. It's an apt comparison to California although probably not the aptest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 01:16 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I'm fully aware of it. Maybe you misunderstood my reply. I think that climate wise the closest spot to California is on the Atlantic coast rather than the Central Mediterranean.

Figueira da Foz -> San Francisco
Essaouira->San Diego
San Jose->Porto
Santa Monica->Casablanca

Italy has also a relatively low crime rate, is expensive, crowded and earthquake prone. It's an apt comparison to California although probably not the aptest
Ok, I think I see what you're saying and this would make a lot of sense actually as the Atlantic close to shore on its eastern side would also have a cold current. Portugal, parts of Spain and northwest Africa would be very California like. However, the central Mediterranean would still be closer than anything Japan would have. It would probably be like the interior of California that no one ever thinks about. Think, Fresno, Sacramento, Redding.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

I agree with this. Both also have volcanoes although California's haven't erupted in almost 100 years. The last was Mt. Lassen.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:29 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,242,946 times
Very hard to choose, I love both equally!

Old 04-24-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Ok, I think I see what you're saying and this would make a lot of sense actually as the Atlantic close to shore on its eastern side would also have a cold current. Portugal, parts of Spain and northwest Africa would be very California like. However, the central Mediterranean would still be closer than anything Japan would have. It would probably be like the interior of California that no one ever thinks about. Think, Fresno, Sacramento, Redding.
You are right. However, what the Central Mediterranean would be lacking are Oceanic leaning climates in the mold of San Francisco and Eureka, desertic climates such as California's Southeast or climates with summer highs as warm as San Fernando's or Redding's (precipitation wouldn't be a problem but highs would)

Lecce, Catania and Foggia are the warmest climates Italy has but they are nowhere near being as warm as San Fernando Valley or even Redding

Old 04-25-2016, 02:46 AM

957 posts, read 1,129,288 times
Well, of course the Med climate of California looks like mora those of Morocco, Portugal and spanish Galicia than proper Italy.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:12 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Economy, entertainment and infrastructure go to California.

However, I much prefer Italy as a whole over California. Italian culture, history and language are simply on another level.
Ditto.

In the here and now of my life I wouldn't give a hoot if someone offered me a free trip to California, but Italy........couldn't pack my bags fast enough. And even at their grumpiest Italians are better than the new breed of paranoid, whinging Americans.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Ditto.

In the here and now of my life I wouldn't give a hoot if someone offered me a free trip to California, but Italy........couldn't pack my bags fast enough. And even at their grumpiest Italians are better than the new breed of paranoid, whinging Americans.
Italians are more self deprecating than you think. The only thing we are able to take pride in are our cuisine, our cultural heritage and depending on cases our birthplace.

Quote:
I agree with this. Both also have volcanoes although California's haven't erupted in almost 100 years. The last was Mt. Lassen.
Etna or Stromboli erupt every other year but the last major eruption is still that of the Vesuvio in 1944.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:59 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,912,398 times
California got this one over Italy

Old 04-25-2016, 05:31 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,242,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
California got this one over Italy
Not really. California has a lovely laid-back, creative vibe I've not experienced in the US before, and the natural scenery is indeed breathtaking. Having said that I've only been there twice (in my 15 times to the US in total) compared to five visits to Italy which wins easily in high culture, history and architecture. I love both places equally though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World