Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 04:10 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
that was said by a famous German football player back in the 90s and it's a famous quote in Germany since then, so I hear it a lot . I don't think anyone really believes this anymore.
Who was it? Effenberg, Matthaus, ecc.?

The Hollywood generation or whatever the German football team of the 90s is called wasn't the smartest one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 04:51 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Who was it? Effenberg, Matthaus, ecc.?

The Hollywood generation or whatever the German football team of the 90s is called wasn't the smartest one
Andreas Möller . Yes, he and many others were not the brightest candle on the cake. Too bad I was too young during that time, many funny stories.

(FC Hollywood was the name for Bayern Munich during that time, I think the National team didn't have a specific name)

Old 05-22-2016, 04:53 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I always mix up Latvia and Lithuania on the map. They are too close to each other, their shapes are too similar, they both start with Ls it's like they are trying to get mixed up.
If you can remember Lithuania is the most Southern of the 3 Baltic countries its not that hard.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:57 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Andreas Möller . Yes, he and many others were not the brightest candle on the cake. Too bad I was too young during that time, many funny stories.

(FC Hollywood was the name for Bayern Munich during that time, I think the National team didn't have a specific name)
Well, Bayern Munich and the National Team have been the same thing for a long time. The latter is just disguised under a different name and with a couple foreign players to avoid suspicions

Old 05-22-2016, 05:10 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Some European countries are close to the size of Rhode Island like Leichenstein and go even smaller like Angola.
Angola Its larger than France, Germany, Britain and the Benelux combined.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:43 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
People also confuse the Baltics and the Balkans.

Some still refer to Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:45 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,616,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What misconceptions related to geography have you heard before

"Jewish people are all European and have names ending in -berg or -stein"
Actually Jewish people are very diverse, with many Jewish people living in places such as Iran, Uzbekistan, Argentina, Brazil, South Africa, and even Panama
I will correct you. Though the Jewish people in many places of the world assimilation (metis), it is not European. The Jews have never been by the Europeans.
You say that they live not only in Europe. But, you do not truly respond to you same replica. It's not geography.
If we talk about the so-called homeland of the Jews it is the two areas. first it Izraylit. the second is the Jewish Autonomous Region. it is one of the Far East regions of Russia. And if we talk about historical homeland, they have not.

Last edited by GreyKarast; 05-22-2016 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-23-2016, 11:23 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
I will correct you. Though the Jewish people in many places of the world assimilation (metis), it is not European. The Jews have never been by the Europeans.
You say that they live not only in Europe. But, you do not truly respond to you same replica. It's not geography.
If we talk about the so-called homeland of the Jews it is the two areas. first it Izraylit. the second is the Jewish Autonomous Region. it is one of the Far East regions of Russia. And if we talk about historical homeland, they have not.
well Jews are a religious/cultural group, not necessarily an ethnic one, and since they were almost always a minority where ever they lived, there would be a lot of intermarriage with the local people, so because of that many if not most have European ancestry. The autonomous Jewish oblast in the far east was a forced homeland made by Stalin, which is why there are almost zero Jews living there today. Most Jews will be able to trace part of their heritage to either the Levant where the religion originated, or in Khazar (Kuban region/Krasnodar Krai) which adopted the Jewish religion during the middle ages.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:41 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Americans have poor geographic skills, but Washington state will be pretty universally known among sentient Americans. They aren't THAT bad. Washington is a major state and Seattle is an important city.

And people around the world need to improve their geographic skills. I have German relatives who think the U.S. is the size of France or something. They think you can drive from NY to Texas in a day. I had an aunt/uncle visiting me in NYC and they asked where they could drive to see "cowboys", "desert" and the "Wild West". Uh, what? There are no arid lands anywhere or cowboy-type history anywhere in the Eastern half of the U.S.

I also met a high-level govt. official from an African country who didn't understand the difference between Austria and Australia.
Only parts of Texas - the far west, south, & southwest - are desert. I moved here 57 years ago and don't own a cowboy hat or cowboy boots. Haven't ridden a horse since 1967 - and I fell off that one.

One of my nephews lives on small ranch, but he's a policeman and raises goats. Another nephew also owns a small ranch and has a few Longhorn cattle on it, but he is a high school teacher and his wife is a computer scientist with IBM.

My Brit friends visiting here in Central Texas for the first time were shocked to see all the trees & lakes around the Austin metro area. Very few cowboy hats are worn in the cities, and I've never seen anyone besides a policeman openly carrying a gun - although close to a million Texans do have licenses to carry pistols.

We don't talk funny either, but y'all do to us.

Texas also has hundreds of miles of beaches on the Gulf of Mexico - this is South Padre Island where many of us like to vacation:

Last edited by ScoPro; 05-23-2016 at 01:54 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 02:42 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Only parts of Texas - the far west, south, & southwest - are desert. I moved here
What part of the south are you referring to? There are no deserts anywhere east of west Texas and even most of west Texas is better described as semi desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World