Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:05 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
City limits give you a control factor as they generally don't change. Metro boundaries can and do change. Two cities may share a metro but they're still two distinct entities; each with it's own mayor, city council and police force as well as schools, taxes etc.
When comparing large cities it always makes more sense to go by Metropolitan Area instead of City Limits.

Miami and Minneapolis are not even in the top 40 most populated cities in the U.S. if just going by city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:18 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
When comparing large cities it always makes more sense to go by Metropolitan Area instead of City Limits.

Miami and Minneapolis are not even in the top 40 most populated cities in the U.S. if just going by city limits.
I'm not sure why that make sense to you. As I mentioned, metro areas are inconsistent. The San Francisco Bay Area recently grew bigger due to commute patters but the city of San Francisco itself has never grown beyond it's 49 square miles. You're basing your comparison strictly on population which again, changes if the boundaries of a metro change. What if you want to compare wages or taxes? Those vary by city limit. San Francisco has the highest minimum wage in California. Not the metro, the city. Neighboring cities in the same metro have lower wages.

Try telling the people across the bay in Berkeley and Oakland that city limits don't matter. There is a street that straddles the city limit in places between those two cities. For about a mile or so, the city limit runs right through the front yard of the properties on the south side of the street. Berkeley is to the north of it, Oakland to the south. This means that their address is in Berkeley but the house is in Oakland. The residents got to vote some years ago on whether they wanted to move the line completely into one city or another and they unanimously voted against moving it. The taxes, voting and schools are in Berkeley and Berkeley has better schools. However, their building codes are in Oakland and Oakland is generally more lenient when it comes to property issues such as getting permits to remodel and adding a room on etc. So it does matter.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:27 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm not sure why that make sense to you. As I mentioned, metro areas are inconsistent. The San Francisco Bay Area recently grew bigger due to commute patters but the city of San Francisco itself has never grown beyond it's 49 square miles. You're basing your comparison strictly on population which again, changes if the boundaries of a metro change. What if you want to compare wages or taxes? Those vary by city limit. San Francisco has the highest minimum wage in California. Not the metro, the city. Neighboring cities in the same metro have lower wages.

Try telling the people across the bay in Berkeley and Oakland that city limits don't matter. There is a street that straddles the city limit in places between those two cities. For about a mile or so, the city limit runs right through the front yard of the properties on the south side of the street. Berkeley is to the north of it, Oakland to the south. This means that their address is in Berkeley but the house is in Oakland. The residents got to vote some years ago on whether they wanted to move the line completely into one city or another and they unanimously voted against moving it. The taxes, voting and schools are in Berkeley and Berkeley has better schools. However, their building codes are in Oakland and Oakland is generally more lenient when it comes to property issues such as getting permits to remodel and adding a room on etc. So it does matter.
They matter for the reasons you describe but they're not the most important factor when it comes to urban and demographic "heft".

Old 06-22-2016, 04:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Well, while Americans get a bum rap abroad, otherwise well-educated people in other countries are just as ignorant about the United States. I live in a mid-sized Southern city. I was in New Zealand several years ago on assignment. My contact on the ground was a lovely woman. In an effort to make conversation on my first day down, she asked,

"Now your city, isn't very large, is it?"

To that I replied, "No. It's really not. About a million two in the metro area." She laughed.

"Oh. In other words, it's bigger than Auckland." And she told that story to anyone who would listen for the remainder of the two weeks I was there.

I got to know some other guys while I was there. We talked about how, upon my return to the states, I would be taking my family on a vacation to Canada.

"Well, are you going to fly there?"

"No. We'll drive."

"Across the Great Lakes?"

"Well, no. There are plenty of bridges."

I literally had to break out Google Maps and show him all the places we could cross. He literally thought that the Great Lakes divided Canada and the United States.

And, of course, whenever I go to Canada, I'm always interested in the misconceptions people up there have about my part of the country. I guess they've watched way too many episodes of In The Heat Of The Night or something. And the Canadian who asked me if my state were next to New Mexico was kind of par for the course.

None of this is to harsh on the citizens of those countries. But geography is a hard-won thing. Don't expect people from elsewhere to know your own country the way you do.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:05 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
None of this is to harsh on the citizens of those countries. But geography is a hard-won thing. Don't expect people from elsewhere to know your own country the way you do.
MTE. I find the notion that Americans are more ignorant than people of other nationalities super cringey, like ask your parents if they can point out Japan on a world map first you haughty moron lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World