Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:28 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I'd like to visit somewhere that is peaceful, natural and people are friendly and accepting to outsiders.
Today I spotted Greenland and Iceland and realized I know nothing about them nor do they ever seem to make the news or brought up in conversation.
Greenland hardly has any people to greet and accept you. Iceland be your best bet in that case. And I hear Greenland has a suicide issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 07:17 PM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I'd like to visit somewhere that is peaceful, natural and people are friendly and accepting to outsiders.
Today I spotted Greenland and Iceland and realized I know nothing about them nor do they ever seem to make the news or brought up in conversation.
Not sure about the acceptance. Iceland is pretty homogeneous place. Foreign-born population numbers around 25,000 (or 7.6% of the country’s total population). Black people are rarely seen. Racial minorities tend to group together in Iceland, as in probably any country that has tiny racial minorities. Doesn't mean that foreigners have any trouble socializing with natives. I spent two weeks there, twice, and found that people are generally nice, and they would be a lot more shocked by someone voicing a racist sentiment than somewhere with a lot of culture clash such as the USA.
The largest groups of foreigners are from Poland, Lithuania, Denmark and ... the Philippines.
The Muslim population is very small, and had a hard time getting a permit to build a mosque. There was one to be build in Reykjavik, but I am not sure about the whereabouts.
Here is some data about few incidents:
How rampant is racism in Iceland? | Iceland Review

Greenland population is about 55K, with only few isolated coastal settlements. I remember reading that after WWII the US was (and still is) very interested to buy it from Denmark. Another very homogeneous place -most are Inuit, and small percentage are Danes.
It's a gorgeous place to visit (if you like fjords, snow and cold). Lots of pix on Google. https://goo.gl/xu6tNh
But probably a sad place to live with high unemployment, alcoholism, suicides, AIDS, and practically not much to do.
I am planning a trip ... perhaps in Summer, when is quite warm there (~20C) In central Greenland the sun does not set from the end of May until the end of July. Must be a helluva of experience!
Stunning photos of modern life in Greenland - Business Insider

Last edited by elnina; 04-26-2016 at 07:27 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 09:59 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Greenland has a high suicide rate because 5 months out of the year it is pitch black, notice Alaska also has high suicide rates for the same thing, also it is desolate so imagine living with a small amount of people in perpetual darkness alone far from a town more than 1,000 people then you will not feel happy at all. Greenland is also has the highest murder rate in Europe.
First of all, it's not pitch black for 5 months a year. The capital Nuuk doesn't have a polar night or day at all.

The reasons why Greenlanders have high suicide rates are exactly the same why Native Americans have high suicide rates.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Never been to either, but they seem like cool places to travel too.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:05 AM

There are two videos to put Greenland into perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw0OGy85uEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7WMs9xddeU

Old 05-31-2016, 09:20 AM

Greenland is good for someone who is an adventure type. If you like trying new adventures, then Greenland would be a good place to go.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:32 AM

Greenland travel guide - Wikitravel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World