Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 PM

86 posts, read 106,683 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that alongside to our numbers, we have our lifespans too. The longer we live, the longer we'll stay here and consume. Another thing to notice is that the lifespans and populations are sort of inversly proportional to the world. You have places like the USA and Canada who live around 70-80 on average but there's like on average 2-3 kids per family. People in places like Uganda and Somalia live around 40-60 and they have on average 6-7 kids. So it;s not just the rainforests that are getting impacted. Most of the resources end up to the developed countries, while the less wealthier people of the world who bear higher populations don't get as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
They're probably not all doomed. Judging by my World Almanac India and Guyana are stable or rising in forest cover. I believe they have rain forests. I imagine there are rain forest preserves in Hawaii that are fairly safe.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:32 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,535 times
Back in the 90s, you always heard about the rainforest. I don't hear so much about it anymore, even though the deforestation has got even worse? Does that mean that there's really nothing we can DO about it?!

Old 10-16-2010, 04:48 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
Hmmm ....
Reading all these post, I only notice if something needs to be done, the word *we*.

Where is the word *I* ????

Old 10-16-2010, 05:22 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
There was a recent long article in "Le Monde diplomatique" (a French monthly periodical) about the threat to Brazil's rainforests posed by massive new eucalyptus tree plantations in the southwest of the country.

This is the original French-language article:

Dans la pampa, l’invasion des eucalyptus

And this is a translation via Google Translate, which isn't perfect, but also isn't that bad...

In the pampas, the invasion of eucalyptus

Old 10-16-2010, 10:08 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
As the Great Eastern Woodlands disappeared so will the rainforests.

School children in the north east US are taught about the disappearing rainforests while their new house and soccer fields stand on land that supported eons of field and forest succession.

A 200 year old tree has become a rare commodity here in the land that leads the charge to save the rainforests.

Loss of plant and animal diversity demonstrates that adaptive evolution only exists for a moment in the dynamic world of a celestially dependant nature. Man can scamper, jump and twist so he'll be around a bit longer but his niche is disappearing too.
Actually the USA has more trees today than it did in year 1500.

At one point in the 1700's into the 1800's almost all of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and parts of Vermont and New Hampshire were bare assed naked and devoid of trees due to farming. You can take a cessna and fly low in the winter over those states and see the patchwork of old farm fields divided by stone walls, those fields now forests again.

Same where I live now in PA. Back in the 1800's they cut just about every tree down everywhere. Recently there were some environmentalists expressing shock that surprise!, over 100 years the forest grew back and we now have a massive extensive forest north of I-80 covering the northern tier of the state.

I remember 20 years ago in school, there was panic over the rain forest in Brazil. But the rain forest is still there. Sure I think for a while the Brazilians went a little crazy with development, but as it turns out, in the sum total of it all, not enough to end it all.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:30 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,625,545 times
Quote:
Havik....Two words: Human Overpopulation.
we need a world war, a new round of the Black Death or some such to bring things back into managable proportions but government interference into population control is a slippery slope..... I think we are doomed as a planet.

eta: Re Stephen Hawking http://bigthink.com/ideas/21691

Last edited by AnnieA; 10-17-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 01:32 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Back in the 90s, you always heard about the rainforest. I don't hear so much about it anymore, even though the deforestation has got even worse? Does that mean that there's really nothing we can DO about it?!
People have a tendency toward fads or toward losing interest if a problem isn't solved fast enough. Plus rainforest destruction is mostly about nations that aren't in North America or Europe so we may have felt there isn't that much we can do. I think the issue is still alive in Brazil and Southeast Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World