Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington D.C. vs New York City on worldwide recognition
Washington D.C. 9 17.65%
New York City 42 82.35%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Countries where the Capital is not the most famous city:

Canada
USA
Belize
Honduras
Colombia
Ecuador
Bolivia
Brazil
Morocco
Ivory Coast
Cameroon
Tanzania
South Africa
Switzerland
Croatia
Turkey
UAE
Pakistan
India
Sri Lanka
Burma
China
Vietnam
Australia
New Zealand
And both Korea and Egypt are planning new capitals, so you can add those countries.

I would also add Nigeria, Netherlands, Germany (debatable, but Berlin certainty isn't the largest, wealthiest or most important metro, though it's probably the best known)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 03:55 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Just to clarify on this question, I'm not asking which one is more "iconic", that's a deeper and more personal question, also more subjective, but which one you think more people have heard of, or are somewhat familiar with.

As an American I am not able to comprehend how someone who has never lived in or visited this country views our cities. I imagine it may go something like this:

New York City: Very large and very rich city, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, endless sea of skyscrapers for a skyline, and then after thinking of the more famous visual references to the city, perhaps songs or people associated with the city, or sports teams, etc.

Washington DC: Capital of the United States, the country that has its hands in everything, Barack Obama, White House, U.S. Capitol, Washington Monument, The National Mall, The Pentagon, political influence and power and corruption. Then perhaps they'll think of other things associated with the city, George Washington, the Smithsonian Museums, past presidents, both famous and infamous, TV shows.

I guess it's still a pretty open ended question, I appreciate everyone's insight and answers so far.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:57 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Anytime the United States intervenes in foreign affairs they always say something along the lines of, "So and so, from Washington" or they mention the Pentagon, or they show pictures of the U.S.Capitol or the White House.
Well, yeah, "Washington" in that context means "federal govt." like "Detroit" means auto industry or "Hollywood" means entertainment industry or "Wall Street" means financial industry. It's more a reference to an industry than a specific location.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:

Canada
USA
Belize
Honduras
Colombia
Ecuador
Bolivia
Brazil
Morocco
Ivory Coast
Cameroon
Tanzania
South Africa
Switzerland
Croatia
Turkey
UAE
Pakistan
India
Sri Lanka
Burma
China
Vietnam
Australia
New Zealand
I know about half of these but maybe that's just me then.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm surprised, I thought it'd be closer honestly.

Anytime the United States intervenes in foreign affairs they always say something along the lines of, "So and so, from Washington" or they mention the Pentagon, or they show pictures of the U.S.Capitol or the White House.

I figured, they're both very well known cities in the world, but for very different reasons, I thought it'd be a good match up.
I think this is true for those of us in the US, Canada and maybe Mexico and maybe the UK. I would imagine that beyond those countries, it's probably just a mention of the US is doing this or that without mentioning DC.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And both Korea and Egypt are planning new capitals, so you can add those countries.

I would also add Nigeria, Netherlands, Germany (debatable, but Berlin certainty isn't the largest, wealthiest or most important metro, though it's probably the best known)
I think it's pretty well known that Amsterdam and Berlin are the Dutch and German capitals respectively.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:18 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
New York is more well known, people roughly known its most well known landmarks, know its celebrities and several of them (in Italy) now know even the name of the mayor (only due to him being of Italian descent). Aside from the landmarks on the National Mall, people would be struggling to name anything else regarding Washington DC as they mostly know it because of polics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think this is true for those of us in the US, Canada and maybe Mexico and maybe the UK. I would imagine that beyond those countries, it's probably just a mention of the US is doing this or that without mentioning DC.
No, they mention Washington quite often in the news and people know it's the seat of the USA government but if you dared bring up the name of DC most wouldn't know what it is. That said, i still think New York is more well known as people know more of it than they know about Washington (basically the landmarks on the National Mall, mostly the White House)

Quote:

Canada
USA
Belize
Honduras
Colombia
Ecuador

Bolivia
Brazil
Morocco
Ivory Coast
Cameroon
Tanzania
South Africa
Switzerland
Croatia
Turkey
UAE
Pakistan
India
Sri Lanka
Burma
China
Vietnam
Australia
New Zealand
Disagree with the bold. That is speaking from an Italian perspective, i fail to think of a Croatian city that's more well known than Zagreb, maybe that's because you vacationed in Split or Dubrovnik but they aren't as well known even though they are just over the Adriatic Sea and roughly 200 kms of distance air-wise from Northern Apulia.

As for Bolivia, La Paz is the capital, what other city is more well known than it? Same goes for Ecuador with Quito as the Galapagos are a group of islands, Guayaquil a little known industrial city and Cuenca a touristic but i would say still relatively little known place.

For Colombia it's harder, Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena are close. Same goes for China with Shanghai and Beijing but i still would give the latter a little margin for political and historical reasons. As for India, New Dehli is just a modern suburb of Dehli, i struggle calling it a different city

Last edited by improb; 05-13-2016 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 04:25 PM

537 posts, read 446,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think in most countries, often the only city that may be known is the capital. People have heard of Nairobi but how many have heard of Nakuru?
topic: well known world wide...........

Old 05-13-2016, 04:33 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo
I would say New York is best known hands down.
Hmmmmm I picked DC

Old 05-13-2016, 04:34 PM

605 posts, read 491,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would also add Netherlands
I sure wouldn't. I don't think any of their other cities come close to Amsterdam for fame.

To the OP, I tipped the scales just a little more in NYC's favor, haha. San Francisco vs DC might be a fairer fight, IDK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World