Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:55 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I noticed in some countries it's very popular to bag on the largest city in that country. For example, many French people online always complain about Paris. Mexicans complain about Distrito Federal. Americans always complain about New York City. Argentinians always complain about Buenos Aires and the portenos. So why this hate for the biggest cities all around the world? Jealousy?
misinformed attitudes about how the capital drains resources away from the provinces , in reality the provinces take money from the capital or at least they do in my own country , cultural attitudes too , the capital is often seen as snooty , overly sophisticated and lacking in moral values
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 09:00 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think this is definitely true. I think we see this with Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin.
non germans often view germany as being more balanced in that there is no one huge city which dominates the country , london undoubtably dominates the uk as does paris in france

Old 05-14-2016, 04:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I am French and it is very apparent once you're abroad that Paris overshadows anything else, and it is quite annoying when you are from the second of third city just like me and that you always have to explain that it's not that bad to not live in Paris, really. I have already been asked several times "how does it feel to be French but not from Paris ?" Like what do you exactly mean ?

Just a couple of weeks ago I was having dinner with some friends and there was this guy who was friend of a friend who kept on saying that it was obvious that France was Paris and the province of Paris, unlike Italy with its many important cities. I just asked why he thought that, even though my city was bigger than Bologna and he just said something in the lines of... "well, you know, it's obvious !"

I could have added that Lyon, my city, had seen the birth of cinema with the Lumière brothers (which most Italians probably think they were from Paris like every famous French person), two roman emperors and that the infamous parisian Bateau-Mouche were called like this because of the neighbourhood La Mouche in Lyon, but I really did not care enough.

Also, reading the news about the recent upheaval in France, once I switch to the Italian news it's always "fights in Paris" or "Paris struggles in the street", so that Italians usually think that everything that happens in France always starts from paris and then maybe happens elsewhere, whereas these movements have happened everywhere in the country since the beginning.
I would of told him. I went to the Lumière brothers home/museum while in Lyon. Lyon is a wonderful place and I prefer it over Paris, if that's any consolation

Old 05-14-2016, 04:45 PM

We jokingly call Toronto " the centre of the universe " , well those who don't live in Toronto do.

Hate is a strong word, I'd say it's more an expression of resentment, that Toronto gets most of the attention. I feel for the other poster who is assumed to be from Paris because he is from France.
It's similar for a lot of Canadians being asked about Toronto when out of the country.

Even the most die-hard critic of Toronto, usually enjoys visiting the place.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:21 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Even the most die-hard critic of Toronto, usually enjoys visiting the place.
So, you've been to Toronto then?

Well, that's cool.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:42 PM

49 posts, read 54,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I noticed in some countries it's very popular to bag on the largest city in that country. For example, many French people online always complain about Paris. Mexicans complain about Distrito Federal. Americans always complain about New York City. Argentinians always complain about Buenos Aires and the portenos. So why this hate for the biggest cities all around the world? Jealousy?
Where are you getting this notion from?

Old 05-14-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, you've been to Toronto then?

Well, that's cool.
I'm not a critic of Toronto. I like the city, have friends there and friends from there. I've only been four times though.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:10 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not a critic of Toronto. I like the city, have friends there and friends from there. I've only been four times though.
Four times is actually pretty good considering how far away you live from Toronto.

That's how many times I've been there and I live about 500 miles away.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:17 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Four times is actually pretty good considering how far away you live from Toronto.

That's how many times I've been there and I live about 500 miles away.
Toronto is fun, but exhausting due to the sprawl. The GTA has 1/3 of Canada's population, if I'm not mistaken. I think our geography has much to do with resentment towards Toronto... the city has so much clout and it often seems like business and institutional decisions are made without a care for anyone outside the city.

It's easy to feel alienated if you live in a far flung region. People from the East Coast and Quebec find it aggravating to meet Torontonians who treat us like backwoods hicks. Even if they think our regional culture is "adorable" or some such patronizing nitwittery. I'd imagine the resentment that Westerners have for Toronto is much worse, due to the ups and downs of their economic history.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:48 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
I don't want to hijack this thread with a solely Canadian issue, but one thing about Toronto is that it's only been the biggest city in the country since around 1980, and according to many wasn't really destined to be the country's largest city.

As such, its civic identity is a bit unclear and even immature.

So it has these traits that are uncommon for a country's largest city, juxtaposed with the usual traits that all large cities tend to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World