Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2016, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Seoul
11,554 posts, read 9,338,188 times
Reputation: 4660

Advertisements

I noticed in some countries it's very popular to bag on the largest city in that country. For example, many French people online always complain about Paris. Mexicans complain about Distrito Federal. Americans always complain about New York City. Argentinians always complain about Buenos Aires and the portenos. So why this hate for the biggest cities all around the world? Jealousy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2016, 11:37 AM
 
10,275 posts, read 10,354,096 times
Reputation: 10644
Because it's always fun to criticize the "big dog" in town.

Do people criticize Dutch foreign policy or U.S. foreign policy? Obviously the U.S., even though the Dutch have a similar foreign policy and a very interventionist leader. But the Netherlands is basically irrelevant, while the U.S. is the global hegemon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Seoul
11,554 posts, read 9,338,188 times
Reputation: 4660
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Because it's always fun to criticize the "big dog" in town.

Do people criticize Dutch foreign policy or U.S. foreign policy? Obviously the U.S., even though the Dutch have a similar foreign policy and a very interventionist leader. But the Netherlands is basically irrelevant, while the U.S. is the global hegemon.
But don't they realize that these cities are in some cases what allows the country to be so great? Without NYC the US would be more like Canada or Australia. Chicago is another city that is heavily criticized, but it's arguably almost as important as New York since it is by far the biggest city not a coast. Without Chicago's beef industry, and the railroad history, and world class amenities, "Western US" would not happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Taipei
8,871 posts, read 8,457,979 times
Reputation: 7429
Probably because the largest city is usually the richest city as well, and people who live there could be snobbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 11:58 AM
 
10,275 posts, read 10,354,096 times
Reputation: 10644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
But don't they realize that these cities are in some cases what allows the country to be so great? Without NYC the US would be more like Canada or Australia. Chicago is another city that is heavily criticized, but it's arguably almost as important as New York since it is by far the biggest city not a coast. Without Chicago's beef industry, and the railroad history, and world class amenities, "Western US" would not happen
The U.S. isn't specifically great because of NYC (and I love NYC; I think it's probably the all-around greatest major city on earth). So it wouldn't make sense for Americans to not criticize the top dog city because it contradicts their love of nation.

Chicago, I don't hear too much hate. Chicago isn't super-prominent on the world stage, and only really dominates the Midwest. You won't hear too many people talking about Chicago in California or Florida or somewhere.

And these are emotional reactions, not logical ones. I don't think the French truly hate Parisians, but obviously Paris sucks up all the wealth and prosperity, and Parisians can be a bit arrogant, and everything revolves around Paris, so some resentment is understandable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 12:11 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,407,972 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The U.S. isn't specifically great because of NYC (and I love NYC; I think it's probably the all-around greatest major city on earth). So it wouldn't make sense for Americans to not criticize the top dog city because it contradicts their love of nation.

Chicago, I don't hear too much hate. Chicago isn't super-prominent on the world stage, and only really dominates the Midwest. You won't hear too many people talking about Chicago in California or Florida or somewhere.

And these are emotional reactions, not logical ones. I don't think the French truly hate Parisians, but obviously Paris sucks up all the wealth and prosperity, and Parisians can be a bit arrogant, and everything revolves around Paris, so some resentment is understandable.
^^^Perfect post, I agree completely.

No one outside the Midwest thinks about Chicago and most of that resentment is confined to Illinois. Los Angeles is the most hated city in the western US and certainly so in California.

I think a lot of the big city hate could stem from the fact that the largest cities frequently influence policy in a way smaller cities and rural areas aren't able to. This I believe is especially true for those areas that are some distance from the big city in question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
61,813 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Reputation: 131805
Largest cities of a country are usually the busiest, lots of things going on there, therefore more things to dislike. They are more anonymous and not so integrates like small cities. There also might be some rivalry between the largest cities for events, cultural supermacy and influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Brazil
1,212 posts, read 1,436,790 times
Reputation: 650
They are hated but they are loved too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 01:34 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,407,972 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
. There also might be some rivalry between the largest cities for events, cultural supermacy and influence.
I think this is definitely true. I think we see this with Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 01:35 PM
 
124 posts, read 93,912 times
Reputation: 107
agreed. but that's not the whole story. e.g stockholm. it's by far the biggest swedish city, but it's also way out there in the east, far, far from the central parts of europe, and that hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top