Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 05:32 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I agree. "NY pizza" looks and tastes like... well... regular pizza found pretty much everywhere. Never understood why it's considered a distinct style.
I don't think you've ever had NY-style pizza. Doesn't look or taste like pizza outside of NYC. For one, they don't even use the same flour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York-style_pizza

Plenty of pizza places say "New York style", it doesn't mean it is New York style. Just like tons of pizzerias claim to be Neapolitan style, but very few follow this style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 07:28 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Ok, so I see this as a sandwich using a bun or roll, with slices of hard boiled eggs on a bed of pickle relish. I can't figure out what the deli processed (sliced) rectangular things are - is that some type of meat? Cheese? Curious minds want to know.

And sorry to say, I've had NY pizza and I don't think it's any better than elsewhere. I don't get the appeal, I think all the talk about it is like the hype around the Blair Witch Project. Ive had better pizza on the Dalmatian coast. Heck, the pizza I ate in Graz was tastier. And nothing personal to all the Italian food connoisseurs, it's just my humble opinion so please don't send the goombahs or wiseguys my way!

California isn't the birthplace of sushi but it sure helped put it on the map. The LA area is blessed with the best sushi restaurants but (surprise!) I'm not that fond of the California roll. There are so many, tastier rolls.
It's a sour doughnut style bun with minced meat and rice filling. The slices are ham. The bedding has also raw onions.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:52 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
It's a sour doughnut style bun with minced meat and rice filling. The slices are ham. The bedding has also raw onions.
Ok, so maybe you can buy me one when I come to Finland? I'm an equal opportunity devourer, I don't scare easily. Drinks are on me - deal?

Old 05-18-2016, 11:53 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Philadelphia: Cheesesteaks, Roast Pork Sandwich with broccoli-rabe/provolone, hoagies, soft pretzels, water ice, tomato pie, stromboli, scrapple, fountain sodas (now everywhere), "irish" potatoes.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:59 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Ok, so maybe you can buy me one when I come to Finland? I'm an equal opportunity devourer, I don't scare easily. Drinks are on me - deal?
Sure, suits fine!

Old 05-19-2016, 12:42 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Brussels: Moules et frites.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:07 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't think you've ever had NY-style pizza. Doesn't look or taste like pizza outside of NYC. For one, they don't even use the same flour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York-style_pizza

Plenty of pizza places say "New York style", it doesn't mean it is New York style. Just like tons of pizzerias claim to be Neapolitan style, but very few follow this style.
Usually when chains say "NYC style" it's not actually NYC style. No chain can emulate true authentic New YORK style pizza

Old 05-19-2016, 06:11 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Brussels: Moules et frites.
And Belgian waffles- amazing!

Crepes- Paris
Tacos- Mexico City
Açaí bowls- Rio de Janeiro
Churrasco (outdoor grilled steak)- Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil

Old 05-19-2016, 09:03 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
And Belgian waffles- amazing!

Crepes- Paris
Tacos- Mexico City
Açaí bowls- Rio de Janeiro
Churrasco (outdoor grilled steak)- Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
I thought acai bowls were like a Northern thing

Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I thought acai bowls were like a Northern thing
Maybe. I've never been to the North. I saw them everywhere in Rio, so they remind me of Rio- beach, exercise, açaí bowl.

Tacos are everywhere in Mexico but they don't compare to the ones in Mexico City- the plethora of combinations that exists there is amazing. You can even have vegetarian tacos- squash blossoms sauteed with zuchinni, mushrooms , cheese, a tomatillo/avocado salsa on a fresh ground blue corn tortilla. Ay...I'm making myself hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World