Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 02:15 AM

977 posts, read 1,010,696 times

Advertisements

So when is this racial diversity enough? I mean nearly EVERY major metro area doesn't have a majority or is pretty close to not having a majority. Why were the citizens never asked if we wanted this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 02:22 AM

977 posts, read 1,010,696 times
I just spent a little over a week in California. I really did not see any great pros of diversity, besides more different types of food. Everyone was basically racially segregated... Like I have stated before I really feel cultural diversity doesn't give a strong community feel, even more so if the people look different, and dress differently.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:13 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timschko View Post
Diversity in the US feels isolated, segregated because America is not the best type of society to feel connected to other people (Look at the US history), not because diversity doesn't work and cause people to isolate themselves.

Every single nation on this planet is what it is because other nations came together to create it. There is no place on this planet that has managed to be alone and isolated for ever.

Eastern Island in South America was an example but they died out most likely because the gene pool was too small resulting in inbreeding and decline.

By the way, the US is not a white country. If anything the US is an Amerindian nation transformed mostly by excessively large immigration of Europeans during the 19th/20th century!

Every single nation on this planet has immigrants, diversity and differences. And every single nation on this planet is the result of different cultures coming together in the past to create it.

Americans, please quit embarrassing yourselves with all these posts about skin color, religion, race, complexion, heritage.
While I agree with most of what you said here, especially about the bizarre obsession with heritage, race etc., you're now making sweeping generalizations about Americans based on this persons post who does not represent all of us. What's this say about non Americans?

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-02-2016 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 06-01-2016, 11:21 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Your experiences sound exactly like mine. When I lived around all Blacks in East Oakland when I was younger, I had absolutely NOTHING in common with any of them other than skin color. They were always looking to start something because I was different from them. I got along with people (all races) better in other parts of Oakland and in Berkeley.

When I moved to San Diego, I had issues with the same types of whites you did as there seemed to be a lot of them in SD at that time. In San Diego, most of my friends tend to be Mexican.

I think a lot of this has to do with your social type more than skin color. It just so happens that the two coincide frequently. However, take people of different races that have things in common, skin color becomes largely irrelevant.
Factoring in social standing and interests, people of different races can find things in common. One reason when I hear people speaking ill of diversity, I can point to examples of being in homogeneous situations and having alot of problems.

As for having Mexicans friends, well, I will mention this. Most Hispanic friends that I have made had this in common with me. They were often either in college or college-educated. Similar could be said of White friends I have.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:37 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timschko View Post
Diversity in the US feels isolated, segregated because America is not the best type of society to feel connected to other people (Look at the US history), not because diversity doesn't work and cause people to isolate themselves.

Every single nation on this planet is what it is because other nations came together to create it. There is no place on this planet that has managed to be alone and isolated for ever.

Eastern Island in South America was an example but they died out most likely because the gene pool was too small resulting in inbreeding and decline.

By the way, the US is not a white country. If anything the US is an Amerindian nation transformed mostly by excessively large immigration of Europeans during the 19th/20th century!

Every single nation on this planet has immigrants, diversity and differences. And every single nation on this planet is the result of different cultures coming together in the past to create it.

Americans, please quit embarrassing yourselves with all these posts about skin color, religion, race, complexion, heritage.
To be quite blunt America is an individualistic society(a herd mentality is not encouraged) the individuals posting on this forum are speaking for themselves it's called free speech just in case that is something you aren't familiar with.(sarcasm ). I don't agree with most of what I read on this thread and some of the comments are really ignorant however I don't see those comments reflecting on me. To be honest most Americans don't give a damn how random people from other countries perceive Americans(honest truth), in addition " a typical American" does not exist but yes there are some ignorant ones.

As for the meat of your post you highlight some good rational points.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-02-2016 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 06-01-2016, 05:05 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
I come from a Canadian province that's almost entirely white. Very few immigrants have arrived since the early 1800s. "Diversity" there mainly means: French Roman Catholics, Irish Roman Catholics, Irish Protestants, Anglo Saxon Protestants, and some Scots and Germans and Dutch of either RC or P persuasion, for variety. Some indigenous, but they're a small minority. 30% French-speaking, 70% English-speaking.

It was historically pretty balkanized, with religious and ethnic enclaves that were somewhat hostile and insulated. Sadly, that history lingers even today. English-speaking people in some farming villages who've never met a French-speaking person, and vice versa. They hold onto their prejudices and bigotry like they're inherited family heirlooms or something. Ignorant as the day is long.

Anyone who thinks having a population that's lily-white is going to solve social conflict is delusional. There are plenty of religious, political, geographic, and class issues that drive white morons apart. People need to be exposed to more diversity, not less of it. More openness to difference, more education, more exposure to outside cultures.

Or live on a remote mountaintop if it makes you happy. Talk to the raccoons and the wolverines. The rest of us humans won't miss you.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:43 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I come from a Canadian province that's almost entirely white. Very few immigrants have arrived since the early 1800s. "Diversity" there mainly means: French Roman Catholics, Irish Roman Catholics, Irish Protestants, Anglo Saxon Protestants, and some Scots and Germans and Dutch of either RC or P persuasion, for variety. Some indigenous, but they're a small minority. 30% French-speaking, 70% English-speaking.

It was historically pretty balkanized, with religious and ethnic enclaves that were somewhat hostile and insulated. Sadly, that history lingers even today. English-speaking people in some farming villages who've never met a French-speaking person, and vice versa. They hold onto their prejudices and bigotry like they're inherited family heirlooms or something. Ignorant as the day is long.

Anyone who thinks having a population that's lily-white is going to solve social conflict is delusional. There are plenty of religious, political, geographic, and class issues that drive white morons apart. People need to be exposed to more diversity, not less of it. More openness to difference, more education, more exposure to outside cultures.

Or live on a remote mountaintop if it makes you happy. Talk to the raccoons and the wolverines. The rest of us humans won't miss you.
I'm going to take guess. The province you're speaking of is New Brunswick.

As for what you said, we can also used Northern Ireland as another example. Ethnically homogeneous. However, rhere is so much strife and violence between Protestants and Catholics. Walls had to be built in certain neighborhoods.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:54 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

As for what you said, we can also used Northern Ireland as another example. Ethnically homogeneous. However, rhere is so much strife and violence between Protestants and Catholics. Walls had to be built in certain neighborhoods.
Yes, and yes, that's totally true about Northern Ireland. They even used to have Orangemen's Day parades in Saint John, N.B., my Dad remembers them happening when he was a kid. Not sure when they ended, probably not long after WW2.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:40 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

The situation in Northern Ireland is quite sad. It goes to show how important it is to break cultural hatred that is passed down from generations, and to work hard to not allow hatred to brew between communities. People need to learn to heal, move on, and leave things in the past.

You can't have this with divisive leaders and with communities continuously promoting hatred towards another group of people.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
That's my basic experience too. I'm White but had many negative relationships with lower class people in my family and at school. In a fairly diverse public school I had both positive and negative relationships with people of other races. I found people in college to be so much easier to get along with than most people in my own family.

I think a lot of the anxiety about changing demographics that many White Americans have is that they assume all Black people or Latino people are the same. They assume all Blacks are gang bangers who blare rap music in their 1985 Monte Carlo, they assume all Latinos refuse to speak English, are illegal immigrants, and deal drugs. So when you say Minority Majority America they assume that means Third World America. They discount that many working class White Americans are just as trashy as the average poor minority. The also discount that most minority Americans aren't close to those stereotypes.

I moved into a working class White neighborhood and my neighbors are just as bad as any Black neighbors I had when I lived in a mixed race gentrifying urban neighborhood. My current neighbors yell and scream at each other daily in the front yard. They recently bought two brand new Camaros (sports car) and now argue about money all the time. The dress trashy too. Although I share the same race category with them I don't feel connected to them at all. Point being I think with younger Americans race is becoming a less important (though still important) way that people self affiliate. I think education level and political / world view is becoming more important.
This is so spot on....I have had the same experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World