Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 12:18 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
When you make comments like these, it just really discredits your point. Everything is propaganda.
Conservative media is propaganda too. TV is propaganda. TV shows are propaganda.

There are just people with different life experiences, which creates different perspectives. Sometimes you are even an outsider in your own 'racial' group. That's just reality.
People do have different experiences. However, those with an agenda to push do not care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 05:11 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Countries are the way they are because of the people, Africa is Africa because the people, Mexico is Mexico because the people. Germany is Germany because the people! The people make the country what it is. I find it funny too all these stars say if trump is elected I'm moving to Canda, why do they never say Mexico?
Not completely true. Countries are what they are not only because of the people who live inside them but only due to those who live outside them. Take for example Subsaharian Africa, they had to go through the process of decolonization when they were not ready for it, the people who lived there weren't accostumed to the ideas of democracy nor educated enough to build a successful country, the newly born countries were left with an economy that was reliant on their old motherland and with barely anyone who had the experience of handling things.

Simplifying things, the problem for their current situation must be shared between the elites of these countries who exploited the uneducated masses and the old motherland (along with its companies who profited from its behaviour) who kept protecting its interests in these countries without taking their problems at heart

Old 06-12-2016, 05:23 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
This is really not true. I'm half Italian I got a DNA test. The only mixing me or any other southern Italians included have Caucasian or middle eastern heritage. There's a 'race' called the mediteranian race.

Also I think that other guy nyc or whatever is not trying to control you, I think he just want to preserve his culture which you people are part of. I do not see anything wrong with him wanting to preserve his "people". You guys just don't really care about that. He isn't trying to control you. I think you guys see the point we make and I see the points you guys make. I think it just comes down to that you guys prefer to think more positively, and thing oh no everyone is great, everyone will get along, all cultures can mesh, and you guys like that narrative we are all one. That may or may not be true. Just from my experiences I have noticed something different. I'm surprised this conversation has been done so well. And are you guys sure Mr. Ali changed? Is there a video to prove it?

I think your video could be some propaganda, me and many other Italians took this test, southern Italians and no body every got black or, Asian. I'm sorta history freak, if anything it seems to be when countries are too big they fall apart, too many different people, too hard to keep United. Even the USSR had governments/states for different ethnicities.

You aren't half Italian, you are American (of Italian descent with probably a 1-2% of Subsaharian ancestry but that depends on where the ancestors of your ancestors came from, they might as well have came from Northern Europe when the Lombards invaded the Roman Empire) and there's no Mediterranean race, in fact there's only one race, the human race, that's made up of several different ethnicities. The problem is that you have had negative experiences which brought you to think in such a way but you must think deeply, are these negative experiences everyone else's fault or are they even yours and are you sure that things are the same in Seattle as they are elsewhere?

There are a majority of places where there's a coexistence between ethnicities but in some places, the process isn't going as well as elsewhere and there are problems. Look at Marseille for an example

Quote:
Yeah I have actually, all over Washington, British Colombia, Idaho, Utah, Alaska, Colorado, Nevada. And recently spent a decent amount of time in San Fransico, Los Angeles, and Sacramento. Also I came upon my conclusion from living in an all white area, and then seeing all these non-whites. And for whatever reason they just act different and I can't say it's a good different... I'm not saying all whites are perfect but I defiantly prefer white areas.

Explain why I would come up with this conclusion.
Just because it's something you are accostumed to. Try to look at the positives and try to look at a further division aside from white/non-white. Were the white neighbourhoods upper-middle class and the non-white ones lower-middle class? That would make a difference because people act accordingly to how well they are educated and how wealthy they are. Remember that the white neighbourhoods are more likely to be upper-middle class

Last edited by improb; 06-12-2016 at 05:41 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 08:59 AM

63 posts, read 61,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I looked at that video. I tend to take it as "we don't want anyone here who isn't White". As a Black American, it disgusts me.
And as another black american, I think something about the video flew way over your head.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:10 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Not completely true. Countries are what they are not only because of the people who live inside them but only due to those who live outside them. Take for example Subsaharian Africa, they had to go through the process of decolonization when they were not ready for it, the people who lived there weren't accostumed to the ideas of democracy nor educated enough to build a successful country, the newly born countries were left with an economy that was reliant on their old motherland and with barely anyone who had the experience of handling things.

Simplifying things, the problem for their current situation must be shared between the elites of these countries who exploited the uneducated masses and the old motherland (along with its companies who profited from its behaviour) who kept protecting its interests in these countries without taking their problems at heart
+1

Old 06-12-2016, 11:41 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyogul View Post
And as another black american, I think something about the video flew way over your head.
Can you explain this in more detail? I'm not following.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:43 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

Another problem in Africa was the forced imposition of nationalism, borders and nationalistic ideologies. It created conflict and divisions between tribes and cultures. Nationalist ideology just wasn't beneficial to the way many Africans lived/live life.

In the Americas it has pretty much destroyed Native American cultures.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Can you explain this in more detail? I'm not following.
The video is talking about ethnic diversity and cultural relativism, which in the latter term by cultural anthropologists is a core value to say that "all cultures are equal."

The problem that the video is highlighting is that socially, humans do not participate well in hyperdiversified areas. There are a plethora of studies that show digression of trust and overall social cohesion when in environments like this. It's why in big cities like Paris, Los Angeles, London, New York, and so forth, all of the ethnic enclaves are divided not by design, but by choice. People naturally like being with others that not only look like them, but have their same values. And with the "mosaic" approach to diversity in the west, assimilation is thrown out the window and people basically create societies that parallel their own native country within their new host country. This creates further segregation within countries.

And as the video highlighted, homogeneous societies isn't the answer. You can have populations of different ethnic groups, but not to the excessive point that the west has imported. Mass immigration leads to enough people creating these types of societies that willingly segregate themselves, and with a host culture that no longer promotes assimilation, they have no need to go outside of their own ethnic enclave. For example, I know a first generation Korean-American who's native to NYC. His parents immigrated to the US decades ago and still haven't learned English. Why? Because--and this is in the words of their child--"they have no reason to" because they live in a Korean enclave. With the black population in the US diversity isn't so much a problem because slaves were forced to assimilate, and thus the descendants of those slaves also assimilated. But virtually every other large ethnic group such as Mexicans, Chinese aren't very assimilated. I live in a fair-sized southern city that has about 1% Hispanic population and I frequently encounter Chinese and Mexicans that can't speak a lick of English. That's a problem. The host culture should not bend to the immigrant's culture. There's a reason why the immigrant left their home country to come to this one and not the other way around.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:01 AM

245 posts, read 132,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyogul View Post
The video is talking about ethnic diversity and cultural relativism, which in the latter term by cultural anthropologists is a core value to say that "all cultures are equal."

The problem that the video is highlighting is that socially, humans do not participate well in hyperdiversified areas. There are a plethora of studies that show digression of trust and overall social cohesion when in environments like this. It's why in big cities like Paris, Los Angeles, London, New York, and so forth, all of the ethnic enclaves are divided not by design, but by choice. People naturally like being with others that not only look like them, but have their same values. And with the "mosaic" approach to diversity in the west, assimilation is thrown out the window and people basically create societies that parallel their own native country within their new host country. This creates further segregation within countries.

And as the video highlighted, homogeneous societies isn't the answer. You can have populations of different ethnic groups, but not to the excessive point that the west has imported. Mass immigration leads to enough people creating these types of societies that willingly segregate themselves, and with a host culture that no longer promotes assimilation, they have no need to go outside of their own ethnic enclave. For example, I know a first generation Korean-American who's native to NYC. Her parents immigrated to the US decades ago and still haven't learned English. Why? Because--and this is in the words of their child--"they have no reason to" because they live in a Korean enclave. With the black population in the US diversity isn't so much a problem because slaves were forced to assimilate, and thus the descendants of those slaves also assimilated. But virtually every other large ethnic group such as Mexicans, Chinese aren't very assimilated. I live in a fair-sized southern city that has about 1% Hispanic population and I frequently encounter Chinese and Mexicans that can't speak a lick of English. That's a problem. The host culture should not bend to the immigrant's culture. There's a reason why the immigrant left their home country to come to this one and not the other way around.

Being half Mexican, I in no way take offense to your post, but just wanted to point out it didn't use to be this way, My father came from Mexico in the late 70's, served the US Military and built a business after retiring from the Military, and a lot more like him existed back then, they were escaping the failed country that Mexico was and while still retaining some of their values and Mexican traditions were also very patriotic and thankful to the US and loved what it stood for.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdavenport View Post
Being half Mexican, I in no way take offense to your post, but just wanted to point out it didn't use to be this way, My father came from Mexico in the late 70's, served the US Military and built a business after retiring from the Military, and a lot more like him existed back then, they were escaping the failed country that Mexico was and while still retaining some of their values and Mexican traditions were also very patriotic and thankful to the US and loved what it stood for.
I blame the government for what western diversity has amounted to instead of immigrants. Immigration in itself is not a problem, but when it goes unchecked--especially in such large numbers--then it becomes an issue.

It really makes life in, honestly, any western country to be difficult. It promotes identity politics and puts ethnicity as one of the main foundations for conversations and relationships, meaning you have to fit in a particular box in order to make your way through this society. I'm a black-American but was largely was raised in upper middle-class white neighbourhoods and private schools, and still have fair difficulties forming relationships with certain ethnic groups. Because I was raised to be "white", I'm largely outcasted by my own people and am seen as an outsider by a bulk of other ethnicities. This doesn't prevent me from talking to them but as forming a friendship/relationship goes, it's always skin deep and my race seems to be an issue. I get along fine with other people like myself but they're not as easy to come across.

This sounds really cheesy but I really wish we could all just get along. But with so many cultural differences it really approaching different ethnic groups to be intimidating. I'm a self-procclaimed xenophile and love seeing other cultures, but there's this persistent uneasiness I get when I'm in places like a farmers market and I'm gawked at by the people there like I'm some foreigner. There was this one Mexican grocery store nearby a church I used to go to that I'd always see but never went in. So I finally decided to go in there recently and the minute I entered all the conversation fell silent and it seemed like people were on edge when I walked by them. I don't think this has much to do with me being black, since I've seen similar scenarios with people of other ethnicities as well. But the feeling of being a foreigner in your own country is sometimes really unsettling. This shouldn't be happening to natives within their own country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World