Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 11:00 AM

245 posts, read 132,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyogul View Post
I blame the government for what western diversity has amounted to instead of immigrants. Immigration in itself is not a problem, but when it goes unchecked--especially in such large numbers--then it becomes an issue.

It really makes life in, honestly, any western country to be difficult. It promotes identity politics and puts ethnicity as one of the main foundations for conversations and relationships, meaning you have to fit in a particular box in order to make your way through this society. I'm a black-American but was largely was raised in upper middle-class white neighbourhoods and private schools, and still have fair difficulties forming relationships with certain ethnic groups. Because I was raised to be "white", I'm largely outcasted by my own people and am seen as an outsider by a bulk of other ethnicities. This doesn't prevent me from talking to them but as forming a friendship/relationship goes, it's always skin deep and my race seems to be an issue. I get along fine with other people like myself but they're not as easy to come across.

This sounds really cheesy but I really wish we could all just get along. But with so many cultural differences it really approaching different ethnic groups to be intimidating. I'm a self-procclaimed xenophile and love seeing other cultures, but there's this persistent uneasiness I get when I'm in places like a farmers market and I'm gawked at by the people there like I'm some foreigner. There was this one Mexican grocery store nearby a church I used to go to that I'd always see but never went in. So I finally decided to go in there recently and the minute I entered all the conversation fell silent and it seemed like people were on edge when I walked by them. I don't think this has much to do with me being black, since I've seen similar scenarios with people of other ethnicities as well. But the feeling of being a foreigner in your own country is sometimes really unsettling. This shouldn't be happening to natives within their own country...
Hey, I totally get where you're coming from being half Irish half Mexican I have pretty fair skin by latino standards so I'm usually considered just another privileged white boy, and even though I'm 50% Mexican I'm considered 0% Mexican for not being an open boarders liberal, it's nuts! Identity Politics do suck! There's nothing wrong with diversity in skin color but it should be a natural slow process with a limited flow per year of immigrants not massive amounts just for the sake of multiculturalism which will ultimately kill us, no common culture, nothing to agree on. Hell I remember even back in 2003-2008 when I was a little bit younger being some pretty good times where most people got along and everything wasn't about race. I actually remember a period where I would make friends with people based on shared interests and they were white, asian, black, latino. Now everything is about well what color are you? are you liberal enough, it sucks man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
The video is talking about ethnic diversity and cultural relativism, which in the latter term by cultural anthropologists is a core value to say that "all cultures are equal."

The problem that the video is highlighting is that socially, humans do not participate well in hyperdiversified areas. There are a plethora of studies that show digression of trust and overall social cohesion when in environments like this. It's why in big cities like Paris, Los Angeles, London, New York, and so forth, all of the ethnic enclaves are divided not by design, but by choice. People naturally like being with others that not only look like them, but have their same values. And with the "mosaic" approach to diversity in the west, assimilation is thrown out the window and people basically create societies that parallel their own native country within their new host country. This creates further segregation within countries.
I can't speak for New York or the other cities but I can tell you that among the west coast cities, the ethnic enclaves are a holdover from past systems of segregation. Latinos and Asians were not allowed to live in certain areas and when Blacks migrated from the south to get better employment opportunities, they too were only allowed to live in certain areas. In San Diego and San Francisco, these were the southeastern neighborhoods. In Los Angeles and Seattle, the south and south-central neighborhoods and in Portland, the northeastern areas. While there are areas of Oakland where Blacks are the most numerous group, that city didn't practice this sort of segregation and Blacks lived and continue to live throughout most of the city and the tensions between Blacks and Whites is far less than in cities with this sort of past.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:23 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I can't speak for New York or the other cities but I can tell you that among the west coast cities, the ethnic enclaves are a holdover from past systems of segregation. Latinos and Asians were not allowed to live in certain areas and when Blacks migrated from the south to get better employment opportunities, they too were only allowed to live in certain areas. In San Diego and San Francisco, these were the southeastern neighborhoods. In Los Angeles and Seattle, the south and south-central neighborhoods and in Portland, the northeastern areas. While there are areas of Oakland where Blacks are the most numerous group, that city didn't practice this sort of segregation and Blacks lived and continue to live throughout most of the city and the tensions between Blacks and Whites is far less than in cities with this sort of past.
This is very true- they were also excluded socio-economically from purchasing homes in certain neighborhoods, and this continued to happen well into the late 1980s.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:16 PM

63 posts, read 61,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdavenport View Post
Hey, I totally get where you're coming from being half Irish half Mexican I have pretty fair skin by latino standards so I'm usually considered just another privileged white boy, and even though I'm 50% Mexican I'm considered 0% Mexican for not being an open boarders liberal, it's nuts! Identity Politics do suck! There's nothing wrong with diversity in skin color but it should be a natural slow process with a limited flow per year of immigrants not massive amounts just for the sake of multiculturalism which will ultimately kill us, no common culture, nothing to agree on. Hell I remember even back in 2003-2008 when I was a little bit younger being some pretty good times where most people got along and everything wasn't about race. I actually remember a period where I would make friends with people based on shared interests and they were white, asian, black, latino. Now everything is about well what color are you? are you liberal enough, it sucks man.
Same here. My sister and I are two different skin colours, with me being the same tone as my mother (caramel) and my sister being the same shade as my father (colour of dark chocolate) and she will occasionally reiterate this stupid schlock within the black community such as #teamdarksin and crap and say things like to me like "well that's because you're light-skinned..." as if my experience as a black person is tainted because of my lighter complexion (which honestly isn't that light imo). And I'm largely shunned by fellow black folks because of my ideologies too. For example, I think blacks are one of the most racist groups in America (research actually shows the rest of America thinks this too)/giving blacks the 'privilege' to use the n-word and excluding everything else is a form of segregation/I don't think whitey is out to get me/etc. I've been called coon, oreo, ****** (have only heard that word once irl...and it was from this black person who was harassing me) and etc. because of this.

Meeting people based off of common interest is the best way to meet people, but oddly isn't the most effective in western society anymore. My associates are largely Americanised Asians or white people and I'm constantly judged by other blacks because my social circle isn't predominately black. I don't really understand why people care these days. And with this mess of cultural appropriation hitting the fan in media too, I can only see racial relations getting worse. Thankfully I'm up and out of here when I get the chance.

Quote:
I think the behaviour continued after assimilation was dropped as an agenda for immigrants. The states were already segregated before that, and when unassimilated immigrants came in they had no reason to strive in the mainstream culture, so they created their own parallel societies that were left unchecked.

Segregation was bad, but that's no excuse for what our society has become. It's like blaming slavery for why black-americans are aversed to education, are largely impoverished, and responsible for nearly half the amount of crime that occurs in America today. If slavery had that much effect on black people, you would see these actions in African immigrants (and you don't; quite the opposite actually). But the reality is that it while slavery may have started this mindset, it did not continue it: the people did. Segregation is no longer in the law and is not enforced by the governing authorities. Segregation may have divided our country decades ago, but our people are still persistent with it.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
This is very true- they were also excluded socio-economically from purchasing homes in certain neighborhoods, and this continued to happen well into the late 1980s.
Exactly. The desire to only want to be around their own stemmed from not being accepted and often mistreated. As many minorities wanted to distance themselves from other minorities as White American culture was considered superior, these minorities often were hostile toward one another so most only felt comfortable among their own. This is how that came to be. Only recently is this beginning to change.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:

I think the behaviour continued after assimilation was dropped as an agenda for immigrants. The states were already segregated before that, and when unassimilated immigrants came in they had no reason to strive in the mainstream culture, so they created their own parallel societies that were left unchecked.

Segregation was bad, but that's no excuse for what our society has become. It's like blaming slavery for why black-americans are aversed to education, are largely impoverished, and responsible for nearly half the amount of crime that occurs in America today. If slavery had that much effect on black people, you would see these actions in African immigrants (and you don't; quite the opposite actually). But the reality is that it while slavery may have started this mindset, it did not continue it: the people did. Segregation is no longer in the law and is not enforced by the governing authorities. Segregation may have divided our country decades ago, but our people are still persistent with it.
I agree, it wasn't slavery that did the damage to Blacks. I think too often many Blacks often focus solely on that. It was the 100 years after slavery; lynch mobs, Jim Crow, segregation. Those are the things that continue to affect Blacks and those are the things that the African immigrants you mentioned don't have a history of in this country.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Same here. My sister and I are two different skin colours, with me being the same tone as my mother (caramel) and my sister being the same shade as my father (colour of dark chocolate) and she will occasionally reiterate this stupid schlock within the black community such as #teamdarksin and crap and say things like to me like "well that's because you're light-skinned..." as if my experience as a black person is tainted because of my lighter complexion (which honestly isn't that light imo). And I'm largely shunned by fellow black folks because of my ideologies too. For example, I think blacks are one of the most racist groups in America (research actually shows the rest of America thinks this too)/giving blacks the 'privilege' to use the n-word and excluding everything else is a form of segregation/I don't think whitey is out to get me/etc. I've been called coon, oreo, ****** (have only heard that word once irl...and it was from this black person who was harassing me) and etc. because of this.

Meeting people based off of common interest is the best way to meet people, but oddly isn't the most effective in western society anymore. My associates are largely Americanised Asians or white people and I'm constantly judged by other blacks because my social circle isn't predominately black. I don't really understand why people care these days. And with this mess of cultural appropriation hitting the fan in media too, I can only see racial relations getting worse. Thankfully I'm up and out of here when I get the chance.

Ugh I'm sorry you have to deal with that, I feel your pain it's ridiculous, and yes cultural appropriation is ridiculous. Speaking of that did you see the video recently on a college campus (Of Course) where a white guy with dreadlocks was walking down the hall and a black female student stopped him and said "You just stole my culture, cut it off or I will"

Another SMH WTF moment was the guilt ridden white liberal rapper Macklemore winning a music award and then apologizing to Kendrick Lamar for being white and winning instead of him, lol it's insane, it's why I checked out of celebrity news and MSM.

And don't forget #OscarsSoWhite and they were stumped they had the lowest ratings ever lol

Old 06-13-2016, 02:48 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
What eventually happens is today's immigrants become culturally integrated and there is mixed marriages / children. After a while from several main groups you get one mainstream culture. There was a lot of fear from WASPs in the 1800s that Catholic immigrants wouldn't become truly American. Obviously that turned out to be wrong. I think today's "White non Hispanic" people are what the WASPs were in the 1800s: ethnic snobs who feel they are the standard.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:55 PM

63 posts, read 61,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
What eventually happens is today's immigrants become culturally integrated and there is mixed marriages / children. After a while from several main groups you get one mainstream culture. There was a lot of fear from WASPs in the 1800s that Catholic immigrants wouldn't become truly American. Obviously that turned out to be wrong. I think today's "White non Hispanic" people are what the WASPs were in the 1800s: ethnic snobs who feel they are the standard.
the effect cancels out when just more non-assimilated immigrants come on. and not all of today's immigrants will intermingle either. interracial marriage is still fairly rare in the west despite the diversity.

Quote:
I agree, it wasn't slavery that did the damage to Blacks. I think too often many Blacks often focus solely on that. It was the 100 years after slavery; lynch mobs, Jim Crow, segregation. Those are the things that continue to affect Blacks and those are the things that the African immigrants you mentioned don't have a history of in this country.
It doesn't effect them today because the surviving generation of blacks haven't had to experience it. Asian-Americans had their fair share of struggles from being sent to internment camps to not being allowed in this country for nearly a century, and they're now called the "model minority." The past is the past, and the present is the present. But blacks seem to think that the past is the present. And also African immigrants have a similar history with colonisation, yet it doesn't effect them. So why does it seem to only effect black Americans? Jews also haven't stayed in the mud despite the Holocaust and have prospered since the genocide. Why are black-Americans (and Amerindians) the only ethnic groups in America who insist on clinging to the past and digress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdavenport View Post
Ugh I'm sorry you have to deal with that, I feel your pain it's ridiculous, and yes cultural appropriation is ridiculous. Speaking of that did you see the video recently on a college campus (Of Course) where a white guy with dreadlocks was walking down the hall and a black female student stopped him and said "You just stole my culture, cut it off or I will"

Another SMH WTF moment was the guilt ridden white liberal rapper Macklemore winning a music award and then apologizing to Kendrick Lamar for being white and winning instead of him, lol it's insane, it's why I checked out of celebrity news and MSM.

And don't forget #OscarsSoWhite and they were stumped they had the lowest ratings ever lol
Oh yea I know what video you're talking about. To be honest it looks staged to me; the camera guy is blatantly in the group and hard to miss. Even if the girl didn't notice, the other black guy would have if it was real. But I've read about other instances of it. Since people seem to be doing this naturally, perhaps segregation is innate within humans? Since this type of behaviour happens within every multicultural country. Ethnic groups automatically segregate themselves instead of assimilate. The video is right; multiculturalism sounds nice on paper, but has no prior history and is obviously failing as the host culture is dying to pave way for the incoming immigrants.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
the effect cancels out when just more non-assimilated immigrants come on. and not all of today's immigrants will intermingle either. interracial marriage is still fairly rare in the west despite the diversity.

It doesn't effect them today because the surviving generation of blacks haven't had to experience it. Asian-Americans had their fair share of struggles from being sent to internment camps to not being allowed in this country for nearly a century, and they're now called the "model minority." The past is the past, and the present is the present. But blacks seem to think that the past is the present. And also African immigrants have a similar history with colonisation, yet it doesn't effect them. So why does it seem to only effect black Americans? Jews also haven't stayed in the mud despite the Holocaust and have prospered since the genocide. Why are black-Americans (and Amerindians) the only ethnic groups in America who insist on clinging to the past and digress?

Oh yea I know what video you're talking about. To be honest it looks staged to me; the camera guy is blatantly in the group and hard to miss. Even if the girl didn't notice, the other black guy would have if it was real. But I've read about other instances of it. Since people seem to be doing this naturally, perhaps segregation is innate within humans? Since this type of behaviour happens within every multicultural country. Ethnic groups automatically segregate themselves instead of assimilate. The video is right; multiculturalism sounds nice on paper, but has no prior history and is obviously failing as the host culture is dying to pave way for the incoming immigrants.
I think most people more or less want to segregate based on shared values and class level, not so much race. A multi-ethnic society can function perfectly because people share a common culture and set of values, Multiculturalism is ultimately suicide because it throw's the immigrants against the host culture which leads to that constant divide, and race divide we see today, It honestly didn't used to be bad.

It also depends where you live too, I agree with you I hate what mainstream US culture has turned into and want to opt out, but I will say for the time being I am fortunate to live in my area of South Florida, I know and am friends with a lot of cuban's who's parents were exiles from the Castro regime, and they are hard working smart people that want no part of the PC, thought policing, socialism BS, I wish the rest of the country could get some of that ethic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World