Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:47 AM

10 posts, read 11,375 times

Advertisements

Moving away from the UK to improve quality of life is always going to be a risk.

There's something positive to say for anyone being proactive to improve their life, but the most common choices of Spain & France rarely seem to work out and may actually be a backwards step.(?)

I like the idea of moving abroad but the reality is that you'll always be behind the locals when it comes to living, and might end up having a social circle that just resembles a 'UK on tour' ensemble.

Whereas the for the US, it seems like a legitimate upgrade. Language is no trouble and from what I've heard (obviously no first hand experience of this yet) the people in the states are generally welcoming to Brits.

Is this legit in comparing EU to US expat experiences?

Anyone tried both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 07:34 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,695,670 times
2/5 troll points. Not very good.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:24 AM

733 posts, read 600,292 times
Moving from a poor country to a developed country is definitely an upgrade.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:58 AM

9,310 posts, read 14,216,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveable View Post
Moving away from the UK to improve quality of life is always going to be a risk.

There's something positive to say for anyone being proactive to improve their life, but the most common choices of Spain & France rarely seem to work out and may actually be a backwards step.(?)

I like the idea of moving abroad but the reality is that you'll always be behind the locals when it comes to living, and might end up having a social circle that just resembles a 'UK on tour' ensemble.

Whereas the for the US, it seems like a legitimate upgrade. Language is no trouble and from what I've heard (obviously no first hand experience of this yet) the people in the states are generally welcoming to Brits.

Is this legit in comparing EU to US expat experiences?

Anyone tried both?
Yes.

But each case is different, there are so many variables.

In my experience, the effective tax rate in certain European countries was the main factor in stifling mobility, and in comparison the US is a tax haven, especially certain states.

In your case, the statistics cited by poster #2 may not be relevant as it could highly depend on what skills and experience you bring to the table in the US.

Just a few suggestions: high tech like robotics, energy storage, transportation software; supply chain management & logistics; international corporate accounting and taxation; some entrepreneurial idea combined with business management and marketing skills; knowledge of US financial markets and a wealth management clientele portfolio and marketing skills. I'm sure there are others.

But if you come as an average worker, then the statistics cited by poster #2 will probably apply big time.

Good Luck!

Old 05-21-2016, 09:08 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,370,510 times
Europe is better for low IQ people. They lower the ceiling for the rich to raise the floor for the poor.

USA is better for high IQ people. There are less taxes and regulations (things that protect low IQ people from themselves) so it's easier for someone with self control and financial intelligence to make it big. But low IQ people get eaten alive by easy credit, etc.

Neither system is better, they are both good systems that benefit some groups more than others.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:09 AM

10 posts, read 11,375 times
Language is the main worry. I love Europe - the people, the weather, the scenery, the cities, the pace of life.

But I have a feeling that even if, for instance, I moved to Spain, I would never master the language to live on a par with the locals. You can get by day-to-day no problem, but to thrive? It seems like it would be an impossibility.

I suppose my real question is, can you create a european style life for yourself in America? The hours, the weather, the opportunities - knowing that language is already a given, it seems like that's the place to upgrade. Europe may be a struggle.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:40 AM

9,310 posts, read 14,216,034 times
Quote:
I suppose my real question is, can you create a european style life for yourself in America?
Only if you have a lot of imagination first, and then having a lot of money also helps quite a bit.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:29 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,903,035 times
You haven't said what your trade or profession is, Moveable. This is critical. It determines wether you can get a visa or not. This goes not just for the US but for almost anywhere outside of the EU.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:24 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,982,531 times
Quote:
Language is the main worry. I love Europe - the people, the weather, the scenery, the cities, the pace of life.

But I have a feeling that even if, for instance, I moved to Spain, I would never master the language to live on a par with the locals. You can get by day-to-day no problem, but to thrive? It seems like it would be an impossibility.

I suppose my real question is, can you create a european style life for yourself in America? The hours, the weather, the opportunities - knowing that language is already a given, it seems like that's the place to upgrade. Europe may be a struggle.
Lets reverse the situation, with people from a Spanish speaking country living in a place where English is the local language.

Some years ago I was acquainted with a couple from Argentina, who were students at the University of Iowa. While they generally spoke English sufficiently well to communicate, I noticed that the wife in particular struggled with English.

I noticed that most of their circle of friends were students from Latin American countries.

I never asked either the husband or wife, but I have to wonder how isolated they felt.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 05-21-2016 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World