Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2016, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
27,211 posts, read 13,502,497 times
Reputation: 19559

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exas View Post
Well the OP was asking for the posters' SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS ON LONDON and I gave mine. You don't like it because I didn't say London is great!

I think it's overhyped, overpriced, overrated! I have seen far more interesting cities in other parts of the world. Even inside the UK (Up north)
Okay - you have given your opinion already or do you want to keep going on and on, as we already understand that you don't like London.

I would suggest the only reason you are going on about London is to try and get some kind of argumentative response, which you are not going to get, you have had your say now move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2016, 08:08 AM
 
Location: United Kingdom
969 posts, read 826,378 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by exas View Post
Well the OP was asking for the posters' SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS ON LONDON and I gave mine. You don't like it because I didn't say London is great!
If you give objective reasons alongside your subjective opinions, then your comments are amenable to criticism.

Sorry if you don't like it, but the other forum users here are fully within their merit to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 08:26 AM
 
47 posts, read 62,345 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
If you give objective reasons alongside your subjective opinions, then your comments are amenable to criticism.

Sorry if you don't like it, but the other forum users here are fully within their merit to do so.
I said pros : free museums (objective fact), diverse (which many cities are, it is not just London), historical (fact).
THOSE SOUND LIKE FACTS MATE, DONT THEY?

I said cons: Very expensive (which it is, I am not a rich person, I cannot afford expensive rents, prohibitively high tube prices, and so on), bad weather (it's quite often gloomy and then it drizzles for days), tacky tourist attractions (which they do have, and a lot in fact)

So explain to me how is it that I am not stating facts?

I gave my subjective opinion of why I don't like London by stating a few Objective facts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
27,211 posts, read 13,502,497 times
Reputation: 19559
Quote:
Originally Posted by exas View Post
I said pros : free museums (objective fact), diverse (which many cities are, it is not just London), historical (fact).
THOSE SOUND LIKE FACTS MATE, DONT THEY?

I said cons: Very expensive (which it is, I am not a rich person, I cannot afford expensive rents, prohibitively high tube prices, and so on), bad weather (it's quite often gloomy and then it drizzles for days), tacky tourist attractions (which they do have, and a lot in fact)

So explain to me how is it that I am not stating facts?

I gave my subjective opinion of why I don't like London by stating a few Objective facts!
Rents in most major cities are high including NYC and Paris, however the new Mayor of London is putting in place rent controls and is committed to building large scale affordable housing. There is also to be a four year transport fares freeze and new hopper tickets. Then again why would you want to rent a property in a city you claim to dislike.

In terms of tacky tourists sites London's main rivals have numerous such attractions, so I don't know why London should be singled out.










Last edited by Brave New World; 05-26-2016 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 08:34 AM
 
Location: United Kingdom
969 posts, read 826,378 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by exas View Post
I said pros : free museums (objective fact), diverse (which many cities are, it is not just London), historical (fact).
THOSE SOUND LIKE FACTS MATE, DONT THEY?

I said cons: Very expensive (which it is, I am not a rich person, I cannot afford expensive rents, prohibitively high tube prices, and so on), bad weather (it's quite often gloomy and then it drizzles for days), tacky tourist attractions (which they do have, and a lot in fact)

So explain to me how is it that I am not stating facts?

I gave my subjective opinion of why I don't like London by stating a few Objective facts!
So far, people have been criticizing your factual statements. I'm not quite sure what it is about this idea you're struggling with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 10:57 AM
 
Location: London, NYC & LA
861 posts, read 853,060 times
Reputation: 725
This must be a troll post...


When it comes to Museum's London has 100s and they are largely all free. Some like the British Museum, Natural History Museum and Science Museum are global favourites.


As for club scene you have got to be kidding. Two recent new club based musical genres were born in London in the guise of Dubstep and Grime.


Dubstep spawned the whole recent EDM dance movement in the US


As for Grime, it is the progenitor of the Bass Driven Trap Music currently making waves in New York.


Sonically New York is about 10 years behind... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 11:15 AM
 
10,275 posts, read 10,354,096 times
Reputation: 10644
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post

As for Grime, it is the progenitor of the Bass Driven Trap Music currently making waves in New York.

Sonically New York is about 10 years behind... LOL
So your claim is that London is superior because some obscure music type you fancy tends to be more popular in London than NYC. Sorry, but this is the worst logic yet (for either city) in this thread.

EDM isn't that popular in most of the world outside of Northern Europe. The fact that certain EDM sub-categories are big in some places and not big in others has nothing to do with relative city quality.

It's like saying that NYC is superior to London because Electroclash was a purely NYC phenomenon. Who cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Berkshire, England
490 posts, read 682,621 times
Reputation: 1358
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I found the British museum to be a poor substitute for the MET in NY. The place looked like it was falling apart and all the carpet on the floor was gross.
Fess up now, you've never been to the British Museum have you? Or London for that matter.

The British Museum is a spectacularly well preserved building, and it has stone floors, not carpet.

Nice try though.

NYC does have some excellent museums but it simply cannot compete with the scale and variety of London's offerings.

NYC is a bland, samey place for the most part, London has centuries of history on its side, far greater architectural & cultural variety, the night life continues as long as any sane person could wish it to, and I'll take a stroll along the Thames over a walk by the Hudson any day.

Last edited by Stewart G. Griffin; 05-26-2016 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 11:20 AM
 
47 posts, read 62,345 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
This must be a troll post...


When it comes to Museum's London has 100s and they are largely all free. Some like the British Museum, Natural History Museum and Science Museum are global favourites.


As for club scene you have got to be kidding. Two recent new club based musical genres were born in London in the guise of Dubstep and Grime.


Dubstep spawned the whole recent EDM dance movement in the US


As for Grime, it is the progenitor of the Bass Driven Trap Music currently making waves in New York.


Sonically New York is about 10 years behind... LOL
What a preposterous claim

So suddenly if we don't think London is the greatest place on the planet, then we must be trolls?

Oh dear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 12:01 PM
 
Location: London, NYC & LA
861 posts, read 853,060 times
Reputation: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
So your claim is that London is superior because some obscure music type you fancy tends to be more popular in London than NYC. Sorry, but this is the worst logic yet (for either city) in this thread.

EDM isn't that popular in most of the world outside of Northern Europe. The fact that certain EDM sub-categories are big in some places and not big in others has nothing to do with relative city quality.

It's like saying that NYC is superior to London because Electroclash was a purely NYC phenomenon. Who cares.

Look I know you have personal issues with me, so I will take whatever you say with a pinch of salt


We are talking about London and New York as they are currently. Also the initial poster mentioned museums and clubbing so I am very much on topic


The fact is my friend as I often spend time in New York, that EDM has made big waves in the US clubbing scene and the inspiration for this new style of bass driven EDM Rave music is UK Dubstep.


Two when in comes to Trap, which is all the rage in hip hop clubs today the inspiration is again a UK rap based genre Grime (which is currently doing very well globally, not sure how old you are so you may not know)


Re Trap the London influence is clear from the new up tempo 140 BPM music speed (US rap traditionally was much slower) to heavy basslines and drops and all of this was pioneered in London. Currently UK music accounts for a 1/6 of all GLOBAL music sales


It may vex you that I have a fondness for ole Londinium but I think it merits it.


What global music has recently come out of Rome may I ask?? (The latter point very much being off topic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top