Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 03:59 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times

Advertisements

Overall, flame thread. Why not just move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 01:49 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
It was not a flame thread - it was an Irene thread.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:27 AM

322 posts, read 478,692 times
anglosaxon? England is only like 10-20% anglo-saxon genetically, 10-15% mix of other elemens (french,norman, viking, roman) and 70% native brytonic. I wonder how Americans became anglosaxon when the average white american woman is a bleached blonde who doenst look scandinavian or german at all. If hair dye would be banned in the US then you would see how few women are actually blonde in the States. I dont see much blonde men in the US , very few compared to central/north/east europe

Old 06-25-2016, 11:23 AM

820 posts, read 953,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What a surprise? I think pretty much every European has someone in their family who emigrated to the US, and they know it. Most of my maternal family emigrated.
??
No one in France emigrated to the US.
No one in France emigrated.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:46 AM

820 posts, read 953,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
There are a lot of different cultures/heritages in this country, the majority though are Caucasian. I don't think that the average American looks like a British person, from my perspective (looking around so I may be wrong) the majority of people have a skin colour akin to a Spaniard.

Most Americans are not pale white, they are darker than British people.

I don't think Germany has much of an influence on the US - even if they do have the largest ancestry group by number.
I went 12 times in the USA.
Americans look totally different from the East to the West, from the North to the South. If you are in the North East or in the North West, they don't look the same.
In some American regions, they look more Spaniard on average, and in others they look more English/ Irish.

But whether you are Black or White in the USA, you are anglo-saxon from a French perspective.
Being anglo-saxon is equal to be American or English.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:10 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,177 times
Anglo-saxon, uh...

Old 06-25-2016, 01:25 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Until i was like 10 years old i thought Canada and the Northern half of the USA were colonized by the English and the rest of the Americas by the Spanish except for Brazil (Portuguese) and some minor islands like Curacao/Aruba which i knew were Dutch.

Didn't know the French were active in the Americas until i was a teenager.
Always thought they had their hands full with the rest of Europe and Africa.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:13 PM

290 posts, read 210,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
anglosaxon? England is only like 10-20% anglo-saxon genetically, 10-15% mix of other elemens (french,norman, viking, roman) and 70% native brytonic. I wonder how Americans became anglosaxon when the average white american woman is a bleached blonde who doenst look scandinavian or german at all. If hair dye would be banned in the US then you would see how few women are actually blonde in the States. I dont see much blonde men in the US , very few compared to central/north/east europe
A lot of Americans do look German.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:38 PM

322 posts, read 478,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
A lot of Americans do look German.
I lived in america and Germany, if you mean by 5% maybe. Even those americans with one parent from germany I know tend to look easily dishtingable from germans in germany. There are far more americans who look just american or even British/Irish, although sometimes with a dash of something else.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:53 PM

290 posts, read 210,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
I lived in america and Germany, if you mean by 5% maybe. Even those americans with one parent from germany I know tend to look easily dishtingable from germans in germany. There are far more americans who look just american or even British/Irish, although sometimes with a dash of something else.
Perhaps but you can definitely tell that they are 'American'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World