Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 12:19 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,405,522 times

Advertisements

Joe, you sound like a hater. Mad because Jarryd Hayne didn't live up to expectations. I saw the comments on one of their superstars coming here. Australians must've thought Speedy Gonzales was going to come here and show us how to play but it didn't work like that did it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 01:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,854,852 times
No not a hater. I just find the rate at which the game is played is too slow.

Jarryd Hayne playing NFL was of interest here, but I think the consensus was that it's too rigid of a game for a league or union player too really enjoy.

Haynes playing sevens for Fiji is of bigger interest though, with the Olympics coming up. I think sevens is one sport that NFL players could really make an impact in.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 PM

Formations/plays are decided during huddle. People who know anything about football enjoy every minute of the game because while a contact sport, it's also a thinking sport more so than rugby. Rugby is more monotonous. There are so many different formations/plays in football and pass/rush. In rugby, it's more or less the same play every play. It's almost like chess vs checkers.

Between rugby and AF, football has faster, bigger and stronger players. Jarryd Hayne, one of the fastest players in NRL, had a 11.2 second 100 meter dash. Reggie Bush had a 10.42 as a teenager.

WR's and CB's needs to have high endurance and athleticism like Odell Beckham Jr because they sprint/jump/catch, linemen need to be huge/strong, LB's should be like Ray Lewis, etc. There are certain specialties each position should have in AF more so than rugby. There is also a job during every play for each player on the football field. In rugby, half the field is walking on the field literally doing nothing during an entire play.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 06-07-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 01:23 AM

14,835 posts, read 12,148,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Formations/plays are decided during huddle. People who know anything about football enjoy every minute of the game because while a contact sport, it's also a thinking sport more so than rugby. Rugby is more monotonous. There are so many different formations/plays in football and pass/rush. In rugby, it's more or less the same play every play. It's almost like chess vs checkers.

Between rugby and AF, football has faster, bigger and stronger players. Jarryd Hayne, one of the fastest players in NRL, had a 11.2 second 100 meter dash. Reggie Bush had a 10.42 as a teenager.

WR's and CB's needs to have high endurance and athleticism like Odell Beckham Jr because they sprint/jump/catch, linemen need to be huge/strong, LB's should be like Ray Lewis, etc. There are certain specialties each position should have in AF more so than rugby. There is also a job during every play for each player on the football field. In rugby, half the field is walking on the field literally doing nothing during an entire play.
Rugby is certainly not monotonous, I would say it was the other way around, the world tends to prefer rugby over American Football, it wins the popularity contest which must say something.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:50 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,719,994 times
According to the Wall Street Journal, there's only thirteen minutes of actual ball in play action in an average NFL game, that's why it's never really taken off outside of North America.

Besides in the NFL there's only 15 games a season. And to say that "In rugby, half the team is walking on the field literally doing nothing during the entire play" is a bit rich when you consider that after one 20 second play an NFL team walk off the pitch and stand around for five minutes while they consult with their coach.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:36 AM

7,499 posts, read 6,345,543 times
Rugby is the contrary of monotonous to me. In American Football seem to stop every 2 minutes for no apparent reason. In Rugby the action never stops.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:01 AM

13,001 posts, read 13,485,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Rugby fans don't talk about American football here. We're into action, not ad breaks.
You Rugby guys are into breaks all right - the bone-breaking kind.

Commercial TV has ruined American football. I rarely watch it, and only attend the 6 college home games for the University of Texas Longhorns each season. And even then the waiting around for the game to resume after the TV ad breaks is disgusting, plus adding to the total time for the whole thing in 100 degree F heat is a bit wearing.

At least the University has recently allowed the sale of weak beer & wine in the concession stands for us common rabble. Heretofore only the luxury suite & club seat nabobs could legally imbibe, leaving the poor fans to sharpen their booze-smuggling skills over past decades.

There are a number of Rugby clubs & leagues in Texas though.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:09 AM

13,001 posts, read 13,485,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Rugby is the contrary of monotonous to me. In American Football seem to stop every 2 minutes for no apparent reason. In Rugby the action never stops.
Most non-Americans don't understand that US football is like a game of Chess - it is VERY complicated & specialized with more strategies that you can shake a stick at. As I alluded to above though, TV has slowed the game down unacceptably.
Your soccer football is to us like playing checkers, comparatively speaking, and requires a different set of skills.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Rugby is certainly not monotonous, I would say it was the other way around, the world tends to prefer rugby over American Football, it wins the popularity contest which must say something.
I said it's more monotonous. There is far more play variation in AF than rugby.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:21 PM

7,499 posts, read 6,345,543 times
I don't know, I'm not Italian.

I just mean that when watching NFL the players stop all the time to discuss strategies, and the rythm is completely cut. It does not flow like Rugby where the rythm is very varied and strong at the same time. I hate chess too, so maybe it has to do with that. Rugby is more sensitive, emotional and down to earth for me. NFL is just too tactical and cerebral.

I don't say it's a stupid game or that people who are into are dumb, by the way, it just does very little for me and it also looks a lot formatted for putting ads in the middle like most North American sports. For some reason it does not look too "real" for me.

Different culture I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World