Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-08-2016, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Reputation: 14005

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Stop being so defensive. Most people like sports which are exciting and flow continuously without breaks for "tactics" or advertisements every thirty seconds. It doesn't matter how hard the athletes are. If American Football was so great, the world would embrace it as it does Football (a sport where they actually use their feet with a ball). But it doesn't. Deal with it.
Maybe the rest of the world isn't smart enough, physical enough, or rich enough (equipping teams can get very expensive) to take up American style football.
Deal with it? Most Americans could care less if foreigners don't like our game, and even less about soccer.

That's not to say your football isn't popular here - it is with kids under 18. The adult population, not so much.

But so what? Enjoy what you like.


At least nobody is griping about Australian Rules Football. That's fun to watch those crazy Aussies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2016, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Reputation: 4522
^^^^^
False. I love American football and the reason why we don't play it isn't because we're not smart enough or don't have the money for it. Even the poorest of countries nowadays can afford stadiums, they could easily afford American football. One of the reasons people don't play it is because they don't see the elegance in the sport, In soccer in general players look like regular people. As I know someone who used to play NFL, to be good at the sport requires a lot of genes. Sure you could even be good at middle school level but by the time you get to high school level outside of the kicker and certain quarterbacks the sport depends way to much on a certain physique to be good at the sport. Sofcer players are average looking guys who have worked on their speed and stamina passed the average human. Nigerians see people like Wifork and their like how can you even call it a sport. Or they see someone like Richard Sherman and think why would I want a body that looks like I am on steroids. Same with Basketball, the average guy isn't 6 feet 5 inches and a gain past middle school level unless your ridiculously good your not going to see players under 5'9 and by 11th grade or college your not seeing anyone under 6'1. Outside of Netherlands the average guy isn't 6 feet 1. Also that is part of the reason, lots of American players who are Giants or have muscles on their muscles also don't appeal to many girls in Nigeria and across the African continent. They want guys who are buff but not to the point were they look like they have muscle dystrophy everytime they walk, and as anyone knows getting girls is have the reason people go into sports these days (I would know I'm in HS).

Also one thing that has been stated in Pro football that is annoying is the constant start and stop. Playing with friends their is no start and stop. Rugby you have 14 minutes of action and 20 minutes for the entire game sometimes (certain versions). In football you have 60 minute game that is really 20 minutes of serious action alien a three hour span. What the heck is that, it's like your their to watch the ads and not the game. This is why HS football is better than Pro-football because at times their is honestly more football in HS than professionally.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 06-08-2016 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 01:44 AM
 
Location: SE UK
14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Reputation: 9813
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Rugby is not varied compared to AF. I've watched more than enough of it to know what how the game flows. Look at the field when a play is happening in rugby. Look how many players are walking/slowly trotting forward with their thumbs up their asses doing absolutely nothing at all. Compare that to AF where everyone has a specific job to perform every play.

Just because a play is stopped doesn't mean the fans are bored and don't know what's going on. Once again, AF is a contact sport but it also requires more thinking than rugby.

It's funny how foreigners have the attention span and ignorance they accuse Americans of having.
You claim that people don't understand American Football and then come out with this 'gem' lol. I am sorry I am not saying rugby is necessarily 'better' (because you have explained that there are factors to the American game that perhaps I wouldn't understand) but rugby certainly isn't more monotonous! I mean you actually stop for ad breaks in American football! I suggest you would need to be fitter to play rugby than American Football because you are on the go FAR more, I'm not being funny but some American football players don't exactly look athletic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 01:45 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 19 hours ago)
 
Location: Great Britain
27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Reputation: 19454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Maybe the rest of the world isn't smart enough, physical enough, or rich enough (equipping teams can get very expensive) to take up American style football.
Deal with it? Most Americans could care less if foreigners don't like our game, and even less about soccer.

That's not to say your football isn't popular here - it is with kids under 18. The adult population, not so much.

But so what? Enjoy what you like.


At least nobody is griping about Australian Rules Football. That's fun to watch those crazy Aussies.
Foreigners do like American Football.

American Football Games are reguarly played in London and are sell outs, whilst Rugby is similar in some respects and is also very popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 01:49 AM
 
Location: SE UK
14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Reputation: 9813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Foreigners do like American Football.

American Football Games are reguarly played in London and are sell outs, whilst Rugby is similar in some respects and is also very popular.
There are of course fans of the game in Europe but not many, I've never met anybody who has any interest in the game, on a side note why oh why do American fans of the game let them get away with this!? I can only imagine they must be furious? Imagine if they tried to make Arsenal play some of their games abroad, the fans would riot on the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 01:50 AM
 
Location: Bologna, Italy
7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Rugby is not varied compared to AF. I've watched more than enough of it to know what how the game flows. Look at the field when a play is happening in rugby. Look how many players are walking/slowly trotting forward with their thumbs up their asses doing absolutely nothing at all. Compare that to AF where everyone has a specific job to perform every play.

Just because a play is stopped doesn't mean the fans are bored and don't know what's going on. Once again, AF is a contact sport but it also requires more thinking than rugby.

It's funny how foreigners have the attention span and ignorance they accuse Americans of having.
Well, it's my opinion and it happens to be different from yours I find NFL boring and I find Rugby more appealing to watch, with more things happening.

Anyway in Italy it is very hard to watch any because everyone is into Football / Calcio, so it's not like I can spend much time comparing them anymore.

Also, calling a sport for being "gay" (not that there's anything wrong with that), then asking why the rest of the world does not embrace one country's sport to then end up saying that you don't care about what the rest of the world does, is an attitude that's kinda difficult to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 01:58 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 19 hours ago)
 
Location: Great Britain
27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Reputation: 19454
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There are of course fans of the game in Europe but not many, I've never met anybody who has any interest in the game, on a side note why oh why do American fans of the game let them get away with this!? I can only imagine they must be furious? Imagine if they tried to make Arsenal play some of their games abroad, the fans would riot on the streets.
I suppose the Champions League and Europa League are the nearest we have to actual club teams playing overseas on a regular basis, but they are competition games and not premier league games.

Saying that I like sport in general, and its good to see the Americans bringing their sports to London, and a lot of people really enjoy watching the games, hence the sell out crowds at Wembley.

London NFL franchise moves closer as commissioner announces expansion of international series - Telegraph

NFL plans permanent UK-based franchise 'in six years' - BBC Sport

Roger Goodell: 'Realistic' possibility that London gets an NFL franchise - CBS Sports.com

Twickenham agrees deal to stage NFL games - Telegraph


Last edited by Brave New World; 06-09-2016 at 02:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 03:51 AM
 
1,147 posts, read 717,981 times
Reputation: 750
Do Americans like tennis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Maine
1,285 posts, read 1,394,538 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You claim that people don't understand American Football and then come out with this 'gem' lol. I am sorry I am not saying rugby is necessarily 'better' (because you have explained that there are factors to the American game that perhaps I wouldn't understand) but rugby certainly isn't more monotonous! I mean you actually stop for ad breaks in American football! I suggest you would need to be fitter to play rugby than American Football because you are on the go FAR more, I'm not being funny but some American football players don't exactly look athletic.
Don't try to tell me it's not more monotonous. It's a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Maine
1,285 posts, read 1,394,538 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Do Americans like tennis?
Tennis and soccer are generally considered girl/gay sports here. Youth soccer is big for little kids. By age 9 and beyond, basketball becomes the leading sport by far. Football would be up there too but because girls don't play it, it dilutes the stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top