Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:27 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,073,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
^^^This for the most part although Baseball scores are pretty small.

Personally, I like Soccer but then again, I'm an oddball.
Not when you consider the popularity of the game, in fact NOT liking the game makes you more of an oddball! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 10:40 AM

9,409 posts, read 14,358,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
This disconnect with of rest of the World is not bad to USA .In a sport that fascinates the World whole less
USA ,why ?
What do you think?
Soccer is very popular in the US at the youth level: relatively little or no expensive equipment, relatively little chance of injury, and a great way for young people to stay in shape by running around so much.

But at the professional level, to most people in the US, European football (soccer) seems to be a bunch of grown men running a marathon who by chance just happen to be kicking a ball around once in a while. It is really hard for the average American to perceive a strategy.

In contrast, US football coaches are esteemed on par with great military generals.

NBA players are graceful giants.

Baseball, known as the national past time, is a totally unique game that requires a broad set of diverse skills, as well as strategy (well maybe cricket people will have something to say about that, but almost no one in the US understands the rules).

In the perception of the average American, then, European football/soccer just doesn't compete on any of those levels.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:46 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,073,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Soccer is very popular in the US at the youth level: relatively little or no expensive equipment, relatively little chance of injury, and a great way for young people to stay in shape by running around so much.

But at the professional level, to most people in the US, European football (soccer) seems to be a bunch of grown men running a marathon who by chance just happen to be kicking a ball around once in a while. It is really hard for the average American to perceive a strategy.

In contrast, US football coaches are esteemed on par with great military generals.

NBA players are graceful giants.

Baseball, known as the national past time, is a totally unique game that requires a broad set of diverse skills, as well as strategy (well maybe cricket people will have something to say about that, but almost no one in the US understands the rules).

In the perception of the average American, then, European football/soccer just doesn't compete on any of those levels.
Then why is football so much more popular than any of those sports you mention? American football might be more popular if they ditched all that protection, it has a bit of a nancy boy reputation in countries where they play rugby.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:21 AM

30,593 posts, read 19,329,376 times
Soccer (Futbol) is boring to USA people and American Football is much more interesting and exciting. We are getting better at soccer and there is more interest and involvement in no small part due to immigrants who love soccer. Today most young children start playing soccer but then will go to basketball, baseball, or American football if they have the opportunity.

In my opinion, if/when the USa wins the World Cup, the interest will pick up.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:32 AM

9,409 posts, read 14,358,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall traveler View Post
today most young children start playing soccer but then will go to basketball, baseball, or american football if they have the opportunity.
>>> $$$

Old 05-30-2016, 11:40 AM

828 posts, read 696,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Actually the Champions League final was an excellent example why Americans don't embrace soccer. IDK who watched the game, but Real Madrid scores an offside goal. Atletico Madrid equalises, and yeaah, a draw! It was a hot day in Milan, temps were in the 80's F during the game, the intensity high and during extra time the players start to break up. Almost half of the players suffered from cramps, and the last 5 minutes was just waiting for the inevitable penalty shootout. Gareth Bale even got a cramp during his penalty kick when he spurted the 3 metres to kick the ball. 120 minutes to wait for the result, and all the players totally finished. Except Pepe who died and resurrected. Not even Emile Heskey would have the energy to punch the goalkeeper in the face. Not very heroic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJu2qSJ9zno
This was by far the worst Champions league final that I have ever watched, and I have watched every single final since the European Cup became the Champions league in 1992-93. This 2016 final really reminded me why I have started to prefer basketball to soccer.

Atletico Madrid was the better team. Real Madrid scored an offside goal, everyone saw it, but it was allowed to stand. No video replay. Nothing. Real Madrid was sluggish, lacked creativity, and seemed like their game plan was to make it to penalties. Penalties. The absolute worst way to end a sporting event. 2 missed penalties deciding the championship in favor of a team that didn't play well would be like a free throw competition or a game of HORSE deciding the NBA finals. This was supposedly the best of the best. What a poor display from the world's most popular sport.

I'm looking forward to a great NBA finals, where a great and exciting team will win by demonstrating all the good things about the sport. The Champions league just made me want my 2 hours back.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:59 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,442,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Not when you consider the popularity of the game, in fact NOT liking the game makes you more of an oddball! :-)
Ok, to American standards

I've watched our own MLS as well as games including Manchester United, Mallorca and others. If you have the right cable channels, we can get some European games. Of course, we get the Mexican games too. I had a girlfriend watch a few games with me and she just couldn't get into it. The lack of commercial breaks seems to screw with people's minds here. Those breaks are used for restroom visits and to get more food. Watching sports in the states is every bit as much about feeding your face and in some cases, drinking as it is about watching the game. With Soccer, you simply sit down and enjoy the game. No annoying player stats every two to three minutes, no pizza, beer or other commercial breaks.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Then why is football so much more popular than any of those sports you mention? American football might be more popular if they ditched all that protection, it has a bit of a nancy boy reputation in countries where they play rugby.
The difference is, Football (American) seem to hit one another much harder than they do in Rugby.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Soccer (Futbol) is boring to USA people and American Football is much more interesting and exciting. We are getting better at soccer and there is more interest and involvement in no small part due to immigrants who love soccer. Today most young children start playing soccer but then will go to basketball, baseball, or American football if they have the opportunity.

In my opinion, if/when the USa wins the World Cup, the interest will pick up.
This happened with younger relatives of mine. They started with Soccer but then most went to Football.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:47 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,399,650 times
Quote:
Same old nonsense.

American football players are bigger and stronger than in rugby, you can hit with no arms, hit blind spots, shoulder charge, etc. In rugby there's so much technical bs... must wrap arms around, have to go down with him, etc. "Dangerous tackles" are illegal.

You can't hit above the horizontal in rugby, can't drive into the air, can't shoulder charge, can't really flatten anyone at all, etc. Rugby more or less forces you to wrestle your opponent to the ground because real hits are illegal. Jarryd Hayne a big shot Aussie rugby player/NFL prospect couldn't even last one season in the NFL. He had 3 fumbles in 6 games. He made a fair catch and whined like a soccer player when a Packers wide receiver (one of the smaller guys on a team) barely tapped him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-1MQ0Cnbhs

Last edited by joeyg2014; 05-30-2016 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World