Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 04:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,385,914 times

Advertisements

Football/soccer in the U.S. is much more popular than decades ago. It's the #1 sport among children, and the U.S. team gets better every WC. And the MLS is getting more popular by the year (and now outdraws professional hockey).

The U.S. will probably be a serious WC contender sometime in our lifetimes. Maybe never a Germany/Italy/Brazil/Argentina type perennial power, but maybe an occasional power like Spain/Netherlands/England/France.

So is football crazy popular like in the rest of the world? No. But it's increasingly popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 04:58 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,963,334 times
I really don't get this need for a p*ssing contest over football, soccer, and rugby... they're ALL "football", people. Just a different brand and more or less popular in different parts of the world.

P.S., America is NOT the only country where association football is commonly known as "soccer". It's also not the only country where the sport is NOT the most popular.

Go to Canada and it's hockey. Go to Japan and it's baseball. Australia and the Celtic nations have their own brand of football that's more popular.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:47 AM

700 posts, read 639,596 times
Why is it so important that association football become our national sport? Here's why I don't enjoy the sport.

1. Flopping is such an integral part of the game it's considered a strategy. Send a player off with a red thanks to hammy acting and you'll be heralded more than the goalscorers.
2. When a ball is knocked out of play, every player on the field will simultaneously raise their hands to claim possession despite the fact that it's either blatantly obvious who knocked the ball out or the players are clear across the field and had no view. No sense of honest play.
3. The fact that over half the shots directed towards the goal will clear over the bar by a good 50 yards. Most goal attempts seem to be nothing more than "throwing up a prayer" rather than employing skill.
4. The myths people use to convince me I should switch to soccer; "Less commercialization" and "As opposed to American football, soccer is 90 minutes of continuous action". Wherein every jersey has corporate logos plastered on the front and the entire perimeter of the pitch is surrounded by advertisements, define "less". Secondly, soccer is 45 minute halves of which your average player will leisurely walk for 35 minutes of it. The only nonstop continuous action is that of the clock.
5. People who say "futbol" when speaking English.
6. People who tell me it's the most popular sport in the world as if to imply that by being so I'm obligated to like it. Perhaps you could also tell me of the global language, the global cuisine, the global religion, etc... so I can get on board with that as well.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:10 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,092,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Same old nonsense.

American football players are bigger and stronger than in rugby, you can hit with no arms, hit blind spots, shoulder charge, etc. In rugby there's so much technical bs... must wrap arms around, have to go down with him, etc. "Dangerous tackles" are illegal.

You can't hit above the horizontal in rugby, can't drive into the air, can't shoulder charge, can't really flatten anyone at all, etc. Rugby more or less forces you to wrestle your opponent to the ground because real hits are illegal. Jarryd Hayne a big shot Aussie rugby player/NFL prospect couldn't even last one season in the NFL. He had 3 fumbles in 6 games. He made a fair catch and whined like a soccer player when a Packers wide receiver (one of the smaller guys on a team) barely tapped him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-1MQ0Cnbhs
This isn't the impression I get, some rugby players are massive (depends on their position) and rugby players do seem a bit more athletic, of course its probably all perception but American footballers seem a little erm.........fat to me?

Old 05-31-2016, 02:00 AM

570 posts, read 607,152 times
1500 million of chinese are now determined to play and win the futball.

They are hiring many players and coaches of Spain.-

Can you imagine the future ?

USA only country to stay out of futball international?

Old 05-31-2016, 02:11 AM

27,432 posts, read 13,666,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I really don't get this need for a p*ssing contest over football, soccer, and rugby... they're ALL "football", people. Just a different brand and more or less popular in different parts of the world.

P.S., America is NOT the only country where association football is commonly known as "soccer". It's also not the only country where the sport is NOT the most popular.

Go to Canada and it's hockey. Go to Japan and it's baseball. Australia and the Celtic nations have their own brand of football that's more popular.
Not sure about the Celtic Nations, Ireland has it's own sports such as Gaelic Football, however Foootball/Soccer is the most popular sport in Scotland, whilst in Wales Rugby takes precedence. It should also be noted that the Six Nations Rugby is massive in Britain and Ireland and parts of Europe and consists of the home nations England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales plus the French and Italians.

In terms of many Commmonwealth Countries such as India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, West Indies etc Cricket is seen as the most important sport. It is also an important sport in New Zealand, Australia and South Africa as is Rugby. The Samoans also enjoy cricket and have a very good Rugby team that often does well in the Rugby World Cup.

American Football is actually a growing sport in the UK with a growing followng especially since more NFL Games have been played in London and there has even been some talk of a London Franchise.

Similarly US Basketball Teams have played at the O2 Arena in London and we have a Basketball League, although it is not any where near as popular as the US League.

I suppose the most competitive event played by the US and Europe is the Ryder Cup (Golf) where passions can well and truly spill over. In terms of Australia and England it's the Ashes (Cricket) and in terms of New Zealand the mighty All Blacks have an impressive history on the Rugby pitch.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-31-2016 at 02:38 AM..

Old 05-31-2016, 03:53 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,092,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Not sure about the Celtic Nations, Ireland has it's own sports such as Gaelic Football, however Foootball/Soccer is the most popular sport in Scotland, whilst in Wales Rugby takes precedence. It should also be noted that the Six Nations Rugby is massive in Britain and Ireland and parts of Europe and consists of the home nations England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales plus the French and Italians.

In terms of many Commmonwealth Countries such as India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, West Indies etc Cricket is seen as the most important sport. It is also an important sport in New Zealand, Australia and South Africa as is Rugby. The Samoans also enjoy cricket and have a very good Rugby team that often does well in the Rugby World Cup.

American Football is actually a growing sport in the UK with a growing followng especially since more NFL Games have been played in London and there has even been some talk of a London Franchise.

Similarly US Basketball Teams have played at the O2 Arena in London and we have a Basketball League, although it is not any where near as popular as the US League.

I suppose the most competitive event played by the US and Europe is the Ryder Cup (Golf) where passions can well and truly spill over. In terms of Australia and England it's the Ashes (Cricket) and in terms of New Zealand the mighty All Blacks have an impressive history on the Rugby pitch.
The 'All blacks' for me are the worlds most dominant national sports team (by some distance), helped of course by the fact that New Zealanders are rugby nuts.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:03 AM

7,502 posts, read 6,321,788 times
I am not a big fan of football either but then I find baseball and American football amazingly boring to watch. Watching rugby is 1000 times better for me. Unfortunately I live in Italy where watching rugby is almost impossible since nobody cares.

Football starts with two kids kicking a can in the street in any country of the world. I understand it's the most popular game almost everywhere.

The only American sport I really enjoy watching is basketball. And hockey is great too.

The thing I don't like about football it's that is almost a masculinity test in Europe at a social level. Sometimes I get introduced to other guys at parties or any type of social event and after two minutes they ask me if I watch football and what is my favorite team. Football is the topic that links men between them, that is supposed to create a bond. I answer that I used to get laughed at and called a girl because I could not play properly, so I started hating the sport and the people who liked/played it. The conversation usually becomes super awkward afterwards, which is funny.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,887,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

Stick fighting on ice is sadly the most popular sport in Finland too, though football is a good second.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:14 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,401,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This isn't the impression I get, some rugby players are massive (depends on their position) and rugby players do seem a bit more athletic, of course its probably all perception but American footballers seem a little erm.........fat to me?
The "fat" guys you're thinking of are linemen. They're supposed to be big. They're obviously not cross country runners but they have bursts of quickness and power.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 05-31-2016 at 06:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World