Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:48 AM

26,887 posts, read 38,189,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This isn't the impression I get, some rugby players are massive (depends on their position) and rugby players do seem a bit more athletic, of course its probably all perception but American footballers seem a little erm.........fat to me?
Only at certain positions. Star players in American football are for the most part not fat at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,824,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I hear you. You could watch the Polish league, Croatian league... or the FINNISH LEAGUE!

Great match, players earning an average salary, no bling bling stadium, fake pitch, snow heaps on the sidelines...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGG5f8PAMxs
The Italian lower leagues probably as they hit closer to home but it really doesn't have the same feeling as following something you can get to talk with people about and that makes it on the frontpage of internet websites and of the newspapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Narrow the field by half, double the goal. and this "MIGHT" be interesting.
Nothing would change, the score would seem bigger when in fact it's the same difference, it's deceiving and if you want to see the same or similar kind of sport with a smaller field then you should look no further than futsal, an already existing sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39-bZQvoMAc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ok, to American standards

I've watched our own MLS as well as games including Manchester United, Mallorca and others. If you have the right cable channels, we can get some European games. Of course, we get the Mexican games too. I had a girlfriend watch a few games with me and she just couldn't get into it. The lack of commercial breaks seems to screw with people's minds here. Those breaks are used for restroom visits and to get more food. Watching sports in the states is every bit as much about feeding your face and in some cases, drinking as it is about watching the game. With Soccer, you simply sit down and enjoy the game. No annoying player stats every two to three minutes, no pizza, beer or other commercial breaks.
South American football is more unpredictable and old fashioned in a good way, i would advice you to give the Argentinian and Mexican league a watch if they were easier to access rather than the European leagues. Let's just say that the former are a little like European football used to be before the sport started becoming considered mostly as a business

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I am not a big fan of football either but then I find baseball and American football amazingly boring to watch. Watching rugby is 1000 times better for me. Unfortunately I live in Italy where watching rugby is almost impossible since nobody cares.

Football starts with two kids kicking a can in the street in any country of the world. I understand it's the most popular game almost everywhere.

The only American sport I really enjoy watching is basketball. And hockey is great too.
Agreed

Last edited by improb; 05-31-2016 at 08:03 AM..

Old 05-31-2016, 08:01 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,824,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
Why is it so important that association football become our national sport? Here's why I don't enjoy the sport.

1. Flopping is such an integral part of the game it's considered a strategy. Send a player off with a red thanks to hammy acting and you'll be heralded more than the goalscorers.
2. When a ball is knocked out of play, every player on the field will simultaneously raise their hands to claim possession despite the fact that it's either blatantly obvious who knocked the ball out or the players are clear across the field and had no view. No sense of honest play.
3. The fact that over half the shots directed towards the goal will clear over the bar by a good 50 yards. Most goal attempts seem to be nothing more than "throwing up a prayer" rather than employing skill.
4. The myths people use to convince me I should switch to soccer; "Less commercialization" and "As opposed to American football, soccer is 90 minutes of continuous action". Wherein every jersey has corporate logos plastered on the front and the entire perimeter of the pitch is surrounded by advertisements, define "less". Secondly, soccer is 45 minute halves of which your average player will leisurely walk for 35 minutes of it. The only nonstop continuous action is that of the clock.
5. People who say "futbol" when speaking English.
6. People who tell me it's the most popular sport in the world as if to imply that by being so I'm obligated to like it. Perhaps you could also tell me of the global language, the global cuisine, the global religion, etc... so I can get on board with that as well.
It's something that doesn't bother me but it's interesting to discuss the reasons around it or just simply sports given that most people in the sport section are American whereas here the composition is obviously a bit more varied

1. Diving isn't considered an integral part of the sport but there are times that players resort to such strategies. That can't be denied and it's something that shows mostly in moment of struggling or desperation, if the referee is decent enough, then he dishes out a warning or a yellow at the first dive. Aside from that, diving seems something that's quite common in most contact sports although to varying degrees
2. It depends, it's something i haven't noticed
3. They are employing skill, it's just that scoring a goal from 30 or more meters out isn't easy and if you had ever played football you would notice. It's like trying a 3 pointer, a professional player would be able to do it much more often than you would have and skills show in one's consistency of being able to do that. Aside from that, it really depends, sometimes the opposite team's defense is set so well that players have no choice
4. You are right but the main difference i see is that while commercialized the sport hasn't hit the highs of American sports yet. The problem is that it will given that it looks at them as a positive example from a commercial standpoint.
5. That's mostly a USA thing
6. You are right, no one is forcing you. USA not using Fahrenheit, having imperialistic views or politics who are too shifted towards liberalism/conservativism is more concerning to me

Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,887,776 times
Pepe never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roPJJLNeV8E

Old 05-31-2016, 09:02 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,263,166 times
I believe that there is a generational shift going on in the USA. As a country we used to be interested in only 3-4 sports (baseball, American football, basketball, and hockey in some parts of the country).

A few trends, off the top of my head, are tailwinds for soccer (an other non-traditional USA sports) in the future:

1. Our country is becoming influenced by Mexican immigrants (at various generational levels) to a greater degree, this supports the future of soccer
2. Soccer doesn't get the bad rap that football does with concussions and also is a wonderful sport for physical fitness
3. Little league baseball is struggling and sports are necessary to fill that void
4. Parks used to have baseball fields and basketball hoops, now you see soccer goals at many parks...equipment helps support a game
5. Cable TV brings more options to watch different sports, from soccer to the X Games...I recently saw Major League Lacrosse on Fox Sports.
6. Scholarship opportunities, especially on the girls side, are a motivation for some parents with their children

Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 AM

6,494 posts, read 4,108,202 times
My views on a few team sports
Soccer- Is life, In Nigeria were I am from it is a religion, A war was once stopped (The Nigerian Civil War) so Pele could play soccer in Nigeria (Although some believe it to be a myth their was an informal ceasefire). A civil war was also stopped in Ivory Coast just in 2006-2007 by Didier Drogba. This sport on two different occasions has brought peace to my beloved West Africa.
Football- Interesting sport filled with big hits and amazing catches, only thing annoying is the ads every 2 minutes.
Basketball- Even more annoying with the ads but certain players make the game for me and high school basketball players do the most epic and ridiculous things.
Hockey- Soccer with sticks and on ice would be more interesting if the puck wasn't either a blur or off camera for 50% of the game. This sport is my third or fourth favorite team sport.
Baseball- I only respect High School players and the Japanese league, Proffesionally for a host of reasons ranging from drug use by fans and players to only certain positions dominated by Unathletic people. I don't understand how in high school baseball players can be so ridiculously be athletic but the second they enter the pros half of them become fat and only the fact that they have a good arm helps them for either throwing or swinging, football has this with quarterbacks also but less so than baseball, for me I can't stand fat pitchers, but those on the bases and out in the field making amazing catches is the best part of the sport.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:05 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,963,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Stick fighting on ice is sadly the most popular sport in Finland too, though football is a good second.
Hockey?

I would understand why that would be more popular in Finland.

...And why "sadly"?

Old 05-31-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

1. Diving isn't considered an integral part of the sport but there are times that players resort to such strategies. That can't be denied and it's something that shows mostly in moment of struggling or desperation, if the referee is decent enough, then he dishes out a warning or a yellow at the first dive. Aside from that, diving seems something that's quite common in most contact sports although to varying degrees

There is definitely some amount of diving and exaggeration in hockey, for example. Even though anti-soccer hockey fans always point out diving in soccer...

For example, the penalty for a high stick to the face (even accidental) that draws blood is much higher than a high stick with no blood. And so every time a player gets even lightly touched by a stick around the face, they immediately take off their gloves and touch their face all over to see if there is any sign of blood.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:23 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,887,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Hockey?

I would understand why that would be more popular in Finland.

...And why "sadly"?
Yes, hockey. Sadly, because if hockey wouldn't be that big, we would probably be better at soccer.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Hockey- Soccer with sticks and on ice would be more interesting if the puck wasn't either a blur or off camera for 50% of the game. This sport is my third or fourth favorite team sport.
An American network already tried something to make it easier for you guys to follow the puck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grOttsHuuzE

I guess it depends what you grew up watching. I've always had a lot of trouble following the baseball when it's hit if I am at a live baseball game.

But I've been watching hockey since I was a kid so I have no trouble following the puck.

Obviously sports where it's a football or something are not a problem, even to the untrained eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World