Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aca1 View Post
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering which countries an American can easily move to? I mean any country- eastern Europe, Latin america, Asia, even Africa. I know that alot of countries require you to have a degree, a large sum of upfront money, and a job offer in a field they have a shortage in, etc, but I was wondering if any country was experiencing such a population loss they could use just anyone.
I don't think its easy to just be able to move to a different country. I'm not trying to be negative, but it is not an easy decision to make. If the country you want to move to does not have English as their main language, you have to make sure you speak that country's language well enough. On top of that, you have to secure a work visa to work in that country where ever it is. It is not an easy task but it can be done. I'm thinking of moving elsewhere but its not going to be an easy decision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering which countries an American can easily move to? I mean any country- eastern Europe, Latin america, Asia, even Africa. I know that alot of countries require you to have a degree, a large sum of upfront money, and a job offer in a field they have a shortage in, etc, but I was wondering if any country was experiencing such a population loss they could use just anyone.
Get a working holiday Australian visa and live for 1 year in Australia. That is enough time to meet an Australian beauty and get married...problem solved lol.

just kidding...but that´s a real option. You must be under 29 to request an working holiday visa. No special requirements when it comes to education etc. Only good health. good luck...

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/

Old 07-29-2009, 11:41 PM

526 posts, read 1,756,789 times
Quote:

Any English speaking country would be easiest.

UK
Australia
New Zealand
Singapore
Malta
Canada

Old 07-30-2009, 07:31 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
You can immigrate to Israel you have one Jewish grandparent. It doesn't matter which grandparent meaning even if you are technically by the Jewish religious laws not Jewish but have one Jewish grandparent you may apply to immigrant to Israel.
As for Australia & Canada not only do you need to have enough points according to their point system, you also can't be above a certain age (meaning there is an age limit to be accepted for immigration).

Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 AM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Canada not only do you need to have enough points according to their point system, you also can't be above a certain age (meaning there is an age limit to be accepted for immigration).
Actually, in Canada, as far as I can tell, for every year older than 49 you are, you will have points taken from your immigration score. So they won't 'not accept you if you are old,' it will just become less likely that you will have enough points the older you get. Of course, there are other factors that can raise your score: speaking French, advanced degrees, high-demand employment field, etc.

Also, why are there so many posts about the horrors of having to learn another language? It's not THAT big a deal, especially if you are immersed in the language. Sure, it takes some effort. But we don't have to be so 'languaphobic' about it! Learning languages helps keep your brain young. There is life outside the English language (thank God).

Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I believe the immigration age limit for Australia is 45. I am not sure of the situation in Canada.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:45 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Wow, these restrictions are INSANE - work requirements, language requirements, education requirements, etc.

Does the US have the most lenient system in the world? We pretty much just set a # and that's it - as long as your not a mass murderer or infected with AIDS, TB, etc almost anyone can get in it's simply a matter of waiting for your # to be called. IIRC we do require a certain level of education (I believe the equivalent of a high school diploma) but apparently the equivalent of a high school diploma from many Latin American nations is more like a 8th grade education level here in the US if even that high.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
No, you do not have to be an ethnic Jew. Judaism, like the other Abrahamic religions, accepts converts.
Only one of the major sects of Judaism accepts converts, The 'Reformed' Jews which are a modern, 'liberal' sect. Granted, Reform Judaism has grown rapidly and is the largest Jewish sect in America. Some 'Conservative' congregations allow conversion of spouses. In Orthodox Jewish faith, out-marriage results in expulsion from the congregation. This is likely what spurred the origin and growth of Reform Judaism. Nevertheless, there was some intermarriage in the early period of medieval Europe, at least in western regions. As the European Jewish population grew in the late Middle Ages, standards returned to the stricter, traditional laws.

Judaism is, traditionally, the ethnic, tribal (kin-based) Abrahamic religion. Christianity and Islam are its universalist expressions. In sense, Christianity and Islam developed as a way for non-Jews to participate in worship of the Hebrew god, something that is traditionally prohibited by Jewish law except in the modern form of Reform Judaism and the exception in some Conservative congregations as mentioned above.

If you go to any Orthodox neighborhood in New York or somewhere in Israel or Europe, you will find Orthodox Jews trying to convert Reform Jews back to 'true' Judaism. They consider ethnic Jews of the Reform faith to be infidels. I doubt they would give a 'convert' the time of day.

Comparably, the Hindu faith is also tribal and ethnically exclusive. If you are not an Indian, you must become a Hare Krishna to be a part of a legitimate Hindu sect. Many Hindus do not consider Hare Krishnas to be 'real' Hindus just as most Orthodox Jews do not consider Reform Jews and especially converts to Reform judaism to be 'real' Jews.

On Topic: Israel has a large population of non-Jews who are able to gain employment and resident status. Many workers overstay tourist visas and manage to stay for a long time. If you are caught you could be prohibited from re-entering the country, so beware.

ABQConvict

Old 07-30-2009, 03:08 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I thought a person could convert to Orthodox Judaism, but that it was a very long process where you could be refused at any point. Also that if you were male you'd have to get circumcised or "re-circumcised" if you are already circumcised in the Gentile manner. (I think the "re-circumcision" was just a ceremonial knicking as I recall hearing)

Old 07-30-2009, 05:52 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Wow, these restrictions are INSANE - work requirements, language requirements, education requirements, etc.

Does the US have the most lenient system in the world? We pretty much just set a # and that's it - as long as your not a mass murderer or infected with AIDS, TB, etc almost anyone can get in it's simply a matter of waiting for your # to be called. IIRC we do require a certain level of education (I believe the equivalent of a high school diploma) but apparently the equivalent of a high school diploma from many Latin American nations is more like a 8th grade education level here in the US if even that high.
The US is one of the toughest countries in which to legally migrate! Tougher than Canada, NZ, etc.
Im not discussing illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World