Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 03:45 PM

245 posts, read 132,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbg View Post
BTW, OP if you consider the Netherlands, the healthcare here is not very good. Same clueless and uninterested doctors as in Bulgaria and Romania, but much much more expensive. I agree with improb that Central Europe might be the best of both worlds - less oppressive than Eastern Europe and Asia but less liberal than Western Europe and the USA. The Hungarian, Czech, Austrian and Slovak countrysides seem lovely. Slovakia is the cheapest of the bunch and I think the most conservative. They have the lowest salaries of these four plus Roma people refusing to integrate in the Eastern part of Slovakia. One has to know the local language to really become part of the society. Otherwise, you'll feel very lonely.
I've heard good things about those parts of Europe, they seem to be doing ok because they resisted the EU? Do you think though that eventually that part of Europe will fall victim to the same agenda Western Europe is following? No-one can totally predict but I wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 03:57 PM

87 posts, read 75,551 times
OP, I added some info for Hungary in my previous post. I'm sorry for editing my posts so much, but I always feel like there is more info to give.

We can never know whether Central and Eastern Europe will fall for extremist liberalism. I think Central Europe already has some progressive values which is good. Maybe Austria is very similar to Germany, hence it might be going into extremist liberal territory, not sure. Hungary and Slovakia are the most traditional of these four. Czechia is more liberal than Hungary and Slovakia, but more traditional than Austria. Rural areas are pretty traditional everywhere though, even here in the Netherlands.
That's the problem with rural areas, one village might be very welcoming, but the neighboring one might want to lynch mob you.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:02 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
BTW, OP if you consider the Netherlands, the healthcare here is not very good. Same clueless and uninterested doctors as in Bulgaria and Romania, but much much more expensive. I agree with improb that Central Europe might be the best of both worlds - less oppressive than Eastern Europe and Asia but not as extremist liberal like Western Europe and the USA. The Hungarian, Czech, Austrian and Slovak countrysides seem lovely. Slovakia is the cheapest of the bunch and I think the most conservative. Austria is the most liberal/Western-like of course. Hungary is pretty old-fashioned but their language is very hard to learn. Slovaks have the lowest salaries of these four plus Roma people refusing to integrate in the Eastern parts of the country. One has to know the local language to really become part of the society. Otherwise, you'll feel very lonely. If you have the money you can select two or three countries and visit them for a vacation of several weeks in each and see how you feel like.
As for health care, it depends from country to country. The Netherlands is one of the few European countries not to have a public healthcare system but a mixed one instead and it shows negatively. Have heard of it as a far cry from what we have here.

Central Europe is indeed the best (or if you prefer skipping the larger cities, the most scarcely populated areas of Southern Europe may do it) for what you may be looking for . I would suggest Czech Republic and Slovakia though, Hungary's government is trying to mimick Russians excessively and is pretty authoritarian and heading more and more towards the extreme right.

Other good suggestions would be the Baltic countries, Slovenia, Croatia and Finland

Old 06-13-2016, 04:12 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
That's the problem with rural areas, one village might be very welcoming, but the neighboring one might want to lynch mob you.
A local usually knows where to move bit he may not. The situation is more homogeneous in Italy though, Northern villages and towns are economically and socially quite conservative (I would advice you Lombardy and Veneto villages and towns); Central Italy (aside from Latium) is progressive and solidly left wing. Southern Italy is a mixed bag economically but socially it's very conservative outside of the largest cities

Old 06-13-2016, 04:22 PM

87 posts, read 75,551 times
OP, have you lived in an earthquake-prone area? I personally, as a person from the Balkans, would avoid Italy, Croatia, Greece and Slovenia. Slovenia and Macedonia's capitals were almost fully destroyed by (different) earthquakes. I still have lingering PTSD symptoms since the Bulgarian quake of 2012 which hit close to Sofia (a city on a fault line). I'll let the map speak for itself. According to it Andorra, the Lisbon area, and most of Iceland are earthquake prone as well:

Old 06-13-2016, 04:51 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdavenport View Post
What I'm looking for in a country, well I'm financially secure I've pulled 90% of anything I had in investments out and plan to probably take the rest and just live on it, I don't need risky investments anymore I'm satisfied with what I've accumulated and would be happy just placing it in non interest bearing accounts at this point in my life.

Back to the original question, I just want to be left alone, I wan't somewhere low on crime, low on political drama and relatively stable if that even exists anymore, even if it involves learning a new language.
Try Japan. People wouldn't give two ****s about you or you being gay. They wouldn't even try to approach you because most people don't speak English there. Crime rate is amongst the lowest in the world, and while there is some political drama, it's not gonna bother you at all as you are not going to watch Japanese news either, and it's also very stable on almost all accounts. (though not seismically lol)

Taiwan is also pretty much like Japan, as in the people wouldn't give a rat's ass about you or your homosexuality (actually I find Taiwan to be pretty gay in general; the society is not all that gay-friendly, but lots of people are homosexuals), similarly low English proficiency, low crime, and also pretty stable. It could get pretty noisy at times though, Japan is far quieter, and the traffic might bother you as Taiwanese people in general drive like ****ing morons. The bright side is that it's a lot cheaper than Japan, and since you're not working, the **** pay wouldn't bother you.

Besides, both countries have negligible Muslim population, which seems to be a plus to you for some reason.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:52 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Yes, Orlando was a tragedy and that event isn't a sole motivation to leave, I was just pointing it out as more of a larger cultural problem.

Back on topic, what do you guys think of Russia? I know they are not gay friendly in the least but it's odd its like a flashback seeing a country that has white people still actually standing up for themselves and civilization.
What!?

Old 06-13-2016, 05:06 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Thank You! That's exactly how I feel I don't want to control anyone but I don't need to be controlled either I just want to be alone maybe have some animals and the occasional netflix/rental movies of my choice preferably the older stuff not the newer movies these days.
Why don't you just order in and stay where you are? You don't have to interact with the rest of the world. This might be the simplest way of running away. Quite frankly I can't tell if this op is a troll post!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:10 PM

245 posts, read 132,596 times
Thanks for all the replies so far guys I appreciate it, Michael you mentioned some great info, so Croatia is pretty middle of the road politically? I know Croatia is very beautiful, living near the coast would be great but it's not an absolute necessity. As far as Japan, what chances does a US citizen have of immigrating there? They seem to be pretty strict on immigration.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:51 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Has anyone been to Chile lately? A lot of expat forums and people I've talked to say even though its a struggle, that they are sort of in a way trying to become what the US used to be, any truth to it?
It did feel the closest to the US of anywhere in SA when I was there a year ago. I'm not sure of how they treat gays or the gay community but overall I was very impressed with Santiago and would be at the top of my list of cities to move to if I left the USA. Other countries I like are Thailand and Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World