Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:40 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
You sound ... youthful. Works well when you're young, and in fact, dehydration is really what causes hangovers. Drinking water does help. Avoiding hangovers, though, becomes more difficult for a lot of people as they get older. We just don't tolerate the physical abuse as easily anymore. You can drink until you're sick when you're in your 20s and never get a hangover... I seem to get a hangover 30 minutes after having a beer, nowadays.
Well, I am well into my 40s and drinking water still helps avoiding hangovers. I am 10 minutes away from you (assuming here!) and just had three quarters of a bottle of wine with dinner. Feeling fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
What does drinking sake or rice beer have to do with being "chaste" or "innocent"? There are still lots of clubs and bars and discos etc. around east Asia. But the allergy to alcohol is prevalent, and they still don't have a culture of pubs and binge drinking like some other places in the world. Despite being affluent, with good disposable incomes to spend on entertainment, neither Korea nor Japan is in the top 25 of countries based on per capita alcohol consumption. Heck, the U.S. isn't in the top 25 either. Nor is Canada.

2013 stats:
Where people drink the most around the world - Business Insider
Binge drinking does not necessarily correlate with countries that have high alcohol consomption. Countries like France have very high consomption but low levels of binge drinking. This is also true of Italy and Spain to some degree.

Binge drinking is worst in places like the UK, the Nordics, the US and most anglosphere societies like Australia and English Canada.

Just my observation.

Not sure why there seems to be a correlation between binge drinking and places with a mostly Protestant culture, as opposed to Catholic culture.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:56 PM

Still with binge drinking...

My province of Quebec has one of the highest alcohol consomption rates in Canada, but IMO we have close to the lowest binge drinking. (There may be stats that can prove this but I am too lazy.)

Old 06-23-2016, 07:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, I am well into my 40s and drinking water still helps avoiding hangovers. I am 10 minutes away from you (assuming here!) and just had three quarters of a bottle of wine with dinner. Feeling fine!
Same. I feel fine after drinking a 50cl equivalent glass of beer with my dinner at a restaurant. If I go out to eat, I almost always drink a tall glass or 2 of beer with my dinner. If I'm with friends, we'd all just talk amongst ourselves over several glasses of alcohol. That being said, I don't do that often because it gets expensive.

Quote:
Still with binge drinking...

My province of Quebec has one of the highest alcohol consomption rates in Canada, but IMO we have close to the lowest binge drinking. (There may be stats that can prove this but I am too lazy.)
I believe it. Puerto Rico is the same way. Lots of drinking, low on the binging. It's a Latin/Catholic thing I'm sure

Old 06-23-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

I believe it. Puerto Rico is the same way. Lots of drinking, low on the binging. It's a Latin/Catholic thing I'm sure
Quebec is a frequent party destination for young people from Ontario and neighbouring states. They don't always have a good reputation for holding their liquor well here...

Old 06-24-2016, 02:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyogul View Post
You are quite a boring person if one of your life's best memories is getting high/wasted.
Did I say so? No.

People drink, not necessarily for the taste, but to get high. And most people like the sensation. Some of the comments in this thread are straight from the zealous Protestant temperance movement, lol.

Quote:
Binge drinking does not necessarily correlate with countries that have high alcohol consomption. Countries like France have very high consomption but low levels of binge drinking. This is also true of Italy and Spain to some degree.
Rising massively among young adults in France, and rising in Spain. The English taught them that.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:43 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Did I say so? No.

People drink, not necessarily for the taste, but to get high. And most people like the sensation. Some of the comments in this thread are straight from the zealous Protestant temperance movement, lol.

Rising massively among young adults in France, and rising in Spain. The English taught them that.
I agree with you, getting drunk is fun and if done reasonably and in moderation it won't hurt you. It's when it becomes excessive it's an issue. We could try asking the Irish or the Russians how heavy drinking works for them. Russians especially because vodka isn't a game, that's some hard core alcohol.

Pro tip: if you're cheap but want good vodka, buy some cheap, crappy vodka and throw it through a filter (like a Brita filter) if you have time as it does take a while. The alcohol will not only be purer but taste less crappy IMO.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:04 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I agree with you, getting drunk is fun and if done reasonably and in moderation it won't hurt you. It's when it becomes excessive it's an issue. We could try asking the Irish or the Russians how heavy drinking works for them. Russians especially because vodka isn't a game, that's some hard core alcohol.

Pro tip: if you're cheap but want good vodka, buy some cheap, crappy vodka and throw it through a filter (like a Brita filter) if you have time as it does take a while. The alcohol will not only be purer but taste less crappy IMO.
Yeah, in this country 10% of the population drink half of the alcohol consumed. It's those we should be worried about and not the remaining 90% who drink in moderation.

I very rarely drink anything stronger than wine. Maybe one glass of whiskey or cognac sometimes.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:14 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Yeah, in this country 10% of the population drink half of the alcohol consumed. It's those we should be worried about and not the remaining 90% who drink in moderation.

I very rarely drink anything stronger than wine. Maybe one glass of whiskey or cognac sometimes.
I'm sure the US has a similar statistic. Americans commonly have a beer when watching sports or a wine at dinner, or a margarita on Taco Tuesday but it's the alcoholics that are concerning. My state of Arizona is actually the most strict when it comes to alcohol use, DUIs have some of the heaviest fines along with other alcohol related crimes like public intoxication and so forth. This is partially because Arizona struggles with alcoholism, the Native Americans and Hispanics here are heavy drinkers and it drives up our statistic. Some US states are better with alcohol than others, Arizona easily be one of the worst ones.

I think it's important for Op to consider that the US mainland is about the same size of all of Europe. Moscow to Madrid is about the same distance of NYC to Phoenix. There will be cultural variations in something that big, even if it's more minor differences than Europe for obvious reasons. Like I said there are entire dry towns in Alaska where alcohol is outlawed, and Utah practically has alcohol banned OP could try looking there.

I'm a college student so naturally I drink more than I'm supposed to

Old 06-24-2016, 04:15 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,148 times
Quote:
Did I say so? No.

And some people don't drink for their very own valid reasons, which you're so uncapable of grasping you just insist on me having to get wasted to "understand".
No man, you're the one who has to understand that not all people are like you, we don't wanna be, and we'll never be.
I know, I know, you're over there marvelling at your own reflection and thinking "How could anyone not want to be like me!? I'm the best there is!" But it's true, we don't wanna be like you. And you'll have to come to terms with this shocking revelation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World