U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2016, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,257 posts, read 20,802,208 times
Reputation: 11103

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
And some people don't drink for their very own valid reasons, which you're so uncapable of grasping you just insist on me having to get wasted to "understand".
No man, you're the one who has to understand that not all people are like you, we don't wanna be, and we'll never be.
I know, I know, you're over there marvelling at your own reflection and thinking "How could anyone not want to be like me!? I'm the best there is!" But it's true, we don't wanna be like you. And you'll have to come to terms with this shocking revelation...
I fully understand that. It's just that some in this thread are depicting alcohol as categorically bad. I don't have a problem if someone doesn't drink unlike you claim. It's the so-called fake 'moral superiority' some teetotallers express I do have a problem with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2016, 01:45 PM
 
Location: fluid
263 posts, read 185,499 times
Reputation: 323
Thanks for the discussion ^_^
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
4,759 posts, read 2,995,538 times
Reputation: 3356
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I'm sure the US has a similar statistic. Americans commonly have a beer when watching sports or a wine at dinner, or a margarita on Taco Tuesday but it's the alcoholics that are concerning. My state of Arizona is actually the most strict when it comes to alcohol use, DUIs have some of the heaviest fines along with other alcohol related crimes like public intoxication and so forth. This is partially because Arizona struggles with alcoholism, the Native Americans and Hispanics here are heavy drinkers and it drives up our statistic. Some US states are better with alcohol than others, Arizona easily be one of the worst ones.

I think it's important for Op to consider that the US mainland is about the same size of all of Europe. Moscow to Madrid is about the same distance of NYC to Phoenix. There will be cultural variations in something that big, even if it's more minor differences than Europe for obvious reasons. Like I said there are entire dry towns in Alaska where alcohol is outlawed, and Utah practically has alcohol banned OP could try looking there.

I'm a college student so naturally I drink more than I'm supposed to
here is a map of US states by alcohol consumption and you were spot on about Utah, overall it seems the western US drinks more than the East.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 03:40 PM
 
10,892 posts, read 1,815,757 times
Reputation: 3317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Binge drinking does not necessarily correlate with countries that have high alcohol consomption. Countries like France have very high consomption but low levels of binge drinking. This is also true of Italy and Spain to some degree.

If you wanna have a look here, like Ariete said, rising in the young population and alcohol consumption in general in the low (without Euro that is)...

Les Français boivent de moins en moins d'alcool

And here:

FRANCE. La réalité du binge drinking en chiffres - 1 avril 2015 - Sciencesetavenir.fr
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Uptown Phoenix, AZ
5,109 posts, read 4,547,981 times
Reputation: 4516
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
here is a map of US states by alcohol consumption and you were spot on about Utah, overall it seems the western US drinks more than the East.
Nevada didn't surprise me, Utah didn't surprise me, but the South does. The state of Kentucky has more barrels of whiskey than it does people. Lots of beer drinkers in the south. Louisiana (New Orleans) and Florida (Miami) are big nightlife spots so naturally they are higher.

That is an interesting image, thank you for sharing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
4,759 posts, read 2,995,538 times
Reputation: 3356
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Nevada didn't surprise me, Utah didn't surprise me, but the South does. The state of Kentucky has more barrels of whiskey than it does people. Lots of beer drinkers in the south. Louisiana (New Orleans) and Florida (Miami) are big nightlife spots so naturally they are higher.

That is an interesting image, thank you for sharing
something to keep in mind is that this is only tracking alcohol purchased, not the amount drank for instance home made alcohol, which Appalachia is famous for (moonshine)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 07:20 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,541,901 times
Reputation: 4191
The basis of the original post in this thread, was whether or not particular countries had a "central focus" on alcohol. Which to me, means that a country doesn't insist on alcohol as the normal drink at every social event. It means a country doesn't exclude people from socializing if they don't drink alcohol.

There aren't many countries in the world that are truly in that attitude when it comes to alcohol. But the countries that are among the top consumers of alcohol per capita --- it does give me pause. I do wonder why it's such a huge part of life there. It doesn't seem healthy.

Most countries in the world (out of 95 or so in total) have a culture where alcohol is enjoyed in a moderate, reasonable way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
4,759 posts, read 2,995,538 times
Reputation: 3356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
The basis of the original post in this thread, was whether or not particular countries had a "central focus" on alcohol. Which to me, means that a country doesn't insist on alcohol as the normal drink at every social event. It means a country doesn't exclude people from socializing if they don't drink alcohol.

There aren't many countries in the world that are truly in that attitude when it comes to alcohol. But the countries that are among the top consumers of alcohol per capita --- it does give me pause. I do wonder why it's such a huge part of life there. It doesn't seem healthy.

Most countries in the world (out of 95 or so in total) have a culture where alcohol is enjoyed in a moderate, reasonable way.
Well I know that in medieval Russia, the government encouraged alcohol consumption and at one point 40% of Russia's revenue came from alcohol tax. Also alcohol consumption had a strong rise in the 90's since the economy was horrible and people lost jobs and so many people drank their problems away. There have been some improvements lately, the annual per capita consumption was 15.76 L in 2011 and then in 2013 it went down to 13.5 L, however some people speculate that it only went down because more people started to drink illegal alcohol since the prices/taxes where increased. Also as far as for Russia it is just part of the culture, if you don't drink or can't drink a lot, it means that you are a wuss, similar to how some people look at vegans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2016, 07:46 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,541,901 times
Reputation: 4191
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well I know that in medieval Russia, the government encouraged alcohol consumption and at one point 40% of Russia's revenue came from alcohol tax. Also alcohol consumption had a strong rise in the 90's since the economy was horrible and people lost jobs and so many people drank their problems away. There have been some improvements lately, the annual per capita consumption was 15.76 L in 2011 and then in 2013 it went down to 13.5 L, however some people speculate that it only went down because more people started to drink illegal alcohol since the prices/taxes where increased. Also as far as for Russia it is just part of the culture, if you don't drink or can't drink a lot, it means that you are a wuss, similar to how some people look at vegans.
Just to get sidetracked for a moment, I will share with you some boring history of alcohol taxation: When Canada was first settled by Europeans, in Quebec actually (New France)... the very first tax that was imposed by France on the colony was on alcohol. When the British colonies were established in North America, the very first thing to be taxed was alcohol. Alcohol was taxed because it was considered a luxury product. So, the logic was that if a consumer could afford to buy alcohol, then they could easily afford to pay some tax on it too.

The same taxes were also levied on "luxury" products like tobacco, fine furs, and jewelry. These taxes still exist to this day. Sometimes they're referred to as "sin taxes", because they are imposed on items perceived to be "luxuries" that more "modest" people used to simply do without.

High taxes on alcohol are still considered an easy tax money "grab" for governments, in a lot of different European countries. Scandinavian countries have pretty expensive beer... taxes are a big reason for this. Doesn't hurt their level of alcohol consumption at all, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top