Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 02:08 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Agreed, those poor sods don't drink cos they don't like it, they don't drink cos they can't.

DrinkToShowYourFreedom
Not sure about that, but it seems like almost all of the places with low alcohol consumption aren't the usual bastions of freedom...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 02:23 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,836,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure about that, but it seems like almost all of the places with low alcohol consumption aren't the usual bastions of freedom...
Not sure about that? Almost all humans during the course of history have tried to get themselves high via various substances, except maybe some shaolin monks ors or the radical religions that don't allow for it.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:30 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Only noobs don't know how to make life worth living without alcohol.
The noobs are those who haven't experienced it. Why do people drink? Why do they use drugs? Because it's awesome.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Not sure about that? Almost all humans during the course of history have tried to get themselves high via various substances, except maybe some shaolin monks ors or the radical religions that don't allow for it.
Oh, I know that. I just didn't want to go overboard and lump *everybody* in.

But sure, it's a strong constant in human behaviour.

That's why authorities (religious or others) have often wanted to control it.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:28 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Where I currently live it seems like certain people act like their ability to just breath depends on having alcohol. It's sad really.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Are there any countries that dont have a drinking age?

Old 06-22-2016, 07:06 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Lots of east Asians have an inherited allergy to alcohol. So there are bars and clubs, but many people don't drink alcohol (or rarely drink it, and when they do, they don't have much of it). This includes Japan, China, South Korea.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Unfortunately most cultures revolve around alcohol.

I stopped drinking about a year ago (trying to detox) and friends made fun of me, tried to get me to drink 'a little,' or just kept asking 'why.' After a few months I realized that people drink to relieve their insecurities.

I actually do not miss the dehydration or the hangovers. I stopped because I was feeling tired from abusing my body with stimulants. Now, i really feel like I have a clearer mind.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:38 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Lots of east Asians have an inherited allergy to alcohol. So there are bars and clubs, but many people don't drink alcohol (or rarely drink it, and when they do, they don't have much of it). This includes Japan, China, South Korea.
My wife is Korean and is allergic to alcohol herself. However there is massive drinking culture in Korea. Every time I go over the men in her family take me out so i will get as drunk as possible. Generally its considered rude not to drink soju when offered.

The country with the world's worst drink problem - Al Jazeera English

Old 06-22-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are there any countries that dont have a drinking age?
I'd be surprised if there was anywhere where it's a total free-for-all.

But in many places there is a distinction between ''buying'' and ''drinking".

Generally, it's buying that is more restricted.

Where I live the legal drinking age is 18 but I don't believe it's illegal to give alcohol to your kids, for example. Which most people I know actually do (a little bit) once they reach a certain age. Of course if you give your kids booze and they get drunk then you can get in trouble with the law for child endangerment or détournement de mineur or something like that.

In many places the de facto drinking age in practice is lower than the legal drinking age.

Again using the example from here but the de facto age for getting into bars here is more like 16 as opposed to 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World