U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:23 AM

263 posts, read 195,635 times

Advertisements

So I am a U.S. citizen who has spent time in two provinces of Spain and one province of Canada briefly. I have travelled to much of the U.S, basically some of every region.

Most recently I am reflecting on my life experiences and have decided that complete sobriety...apart from moderate use of teas including coffee...is something that I have more value in than I had realized.

I am rather fit for travel, in my opinion.

As of right now - I am height-weight proportionate, debt-free, do not have any veritable disabilities, am not married nor do I have children.

I have what I see as an 'alright' resume with several types of jobs, often working contracts between college semesters. I have around ten decent references from work alone. I have two Bachelor's Degrees from a public university.

My point being - I am not currently in the midst of a job that I will be 'abandoning' and I have some relative 'security' in obtaining at least moderately 'good' work in the future.

(So this is some of my background and now for my question...)

What are the 'best' cultures to interact with around the world where alcohol is a much less emphasized social variable?

Granted I have spent time with people in the states, in Canada and in Spain where alcohol was not a thing. I am asking because I am interested in immersing myself in a place where it is much, much less of a presence in total.

I reckon that so far I have been looking at traveling around Morocco and India. Are there any other suggestions?

I value any and all positive input
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:25 AM

24,257 posts, read 21,686,435 times
Life isn't worth living if you don't get wasted once in a while.

I suggest Saudi Arabia.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

I suggest Saudi Arabia.
Thanks for your opinion, I have been wasted enough times to know what's up. Right now I'm feeling like I have wasted enough time and resources with that, so this is what I'm currently interested in.

Would you recommend any specific places in Saudi Arabia?

Old 06-22-2016, 12:47 PM

24,960 posts, read 31,944,171 times
While I don't necessarily agree that one has to get wasted on a regular basis, most of the places with a low social emphasis on alcohol tend to have other aspects that are less than pleasant. Likely worse than being in a place where it's socially acceptable for people to drink - if they want to.

There aren't many places where the *good* you are looking for doesn't have a bad side counterbalancing it or cancelling it out.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While I don't necessarily agree that one has to get wasted on a regular basis, most of the places with a low social emphasis on alcohol tend to have other aspects that are less than pleasant. Likely worse than being in a place where it's socially acceptable for people to drink - if they want to.

There aren't many places where the *good* you are looking for doesn't have a bad side counterbalancing it or cancelling it out.
Extremely good point, it's the same planet. I am with you. It's just the side of humanity I am looking to explore more of, plus I have no delusions of there being no drugs/no illicit alcohol market.

Care to enlighten me further on the aspects you are referring to though?

Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 PM

1,308 posts, read 957,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

I suggest Saudi Arabia.
Only noobs don't know how to make life worth living without alcohol.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:41 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,809,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaNative_inCO View Post
I reckon that so far I have been looking at traveling around Morocco and India. Are there any other suggestions?

I value any and all positive input
This may be helpful...maybe Qatar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ion_per_capita

Old 06-22-2016, 01:50 PM

24,960 posts, read 31,944,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaNative_inCO View Post
Extremely good point, it's the same planet. I am with you. It's just the side of humanity I am looking to explore more of, plus I have no delusions of there being no drugs/no illicit alcohol market.

Care to enlighten me further on the aspects you are referring to though?
Most of the places where alcohol consumption is less common are this way because of restrictions on the freedom to sell it and consume it. Or strong societal coercion to not drink.

Often, alcohol use isn't the only freedom that is suppressed there.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,588,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Most of the places where alcohol consumption is less common are this way because of restrictions on the freedom to sell it and consume it. Or strong societal coercion to not drink.

Often, alcohol use isn't the only freedom that is suppressed there.
Agreed, those poor sods don't drink cos they don't like it, they don't drink cos they can't.

DrinkToShowYourFreedom

Old 06-22-2016, 02:02 PM

7,907 posts, read 6,427,212 times
Well Taiwanese people don't drink that much, there's a study that says it's genetic, so there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World