Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top choice?
Alexandria, Egypt 2 12.50%
Athens, Greece 11 68.75%
Casablanca, Morocco 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:27 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

Alexandria (Egypt) versus Athens (Greece) versus Casablanca (Morocco)

This comparison looks promising.

Which city is the best destination? What are some interesting things to do and/or experience in these cities? How is the local culture and social environment?

Casablanca has the largest metropolitan area of the three places at 6.8 million inhabitants, Athens is the smallest of the three at 4.1 million inhabitants, and Alexandria is in the middle with 5.2 million inhabitants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 12:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Never been to Morocco, I found Alexandria underwhelming if not highly annoying (as is Egypt in general), loved the hell out of Athens.

Size does not matter, once you get to a certain number, it adds nothing a value unless you are very interested in viewing large apartment blocks and suburbia housing.

Egypt, I just could not stand the place, the people there are awful save for the Coptics. I love the Greeks and everything about them. I cannot give an opinion on Morocco due to not having been there.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:56 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
I voted Athens, though I plan to take honest initiative to do more research about the other two.

Here’s what I know about (and like about) Athens here:

It’s a country that at least generally is know for being safer than the other two. That alone wouldn’t do it, as I’ve absolutely loved certain places with dangerous reputations, though it does help.

Alexandria, nor Casablanca from what I have seen so far. Don’t look especially well preserved outside of a few sites. Athens isn’t great in that regard but still seems to overall have more preserved and walkable neighborhoods and numerous sites in and around the core. In addition, it has a. Big culture for outdoor cinema which I think I would quite enjoy. Overall, there may be more culturally familiar aspects, which helps too. It just generally looks like a place with more to see and do, at least of what I like.

Another factor for Athens for me is with nearly 4000 ft of relief within 10 miles it might be Europe’s best city for urban hiking. Plus there’s the opportunity to visit all the islands and inland sites too.

Here’s what I’ll say though. Morocco or Egypt as a country appeal to me more overall right now than Greece (I haven’t been, which contributes). Places like Marrakech and the Sahara in Morocco, and Cairo/Nile River Valley appeal to me more.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:33 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Curious to see your perspective on the other two. In an immediate sense, they both seem more like beach cities than Athens is. That said, I wonder how pollution impacts that, esp. in Casablanca’s case. What else would the appeals of Casablanca it Alexandria be that would supersede those of Athens? Are they in fact more walkable? I see that one each of their absolute, headline attractions were built in the 21st century (Casablanca’s Seaside Mosque and Alexandria’s Library). Obviously headline attractions aren’t the only thing tha matters, overall city atmosphere/Walkability, and surrounding nature matter too, but for my tastes Athens seems to win there too.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:37 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Athens is also the only place I've been to. I'd like to check out the others. Its a shame Alexandria no longer has its iconic Lighthouse.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Unfortunately, Balkans side of Europe across the Mediterranean is quite overly simple in aesthetics within the surroundings of Athens Greece. Severe avoidance of any wow factor. Ironically, Thessaloniki Θεσσαλονίκη is at another far away area not leaving borders, yet isn’t ever tragically disappointing visitors. Sorry, Athens is kind of a joke to me. Having to vote the other two way before. Didn’t find out until literally today that Egyptian community is a city of 5.1-5.2 million residents!? One of the oldest major settling grounds in all of Planet Earth. Alien attractive atmosphere secretive exotic. Close behind from the other Maghreb geographic coordinate is my number one favorite of the list currently: Casablanca Morocco. Stumbling upon a paradise suddenly very spontaneous. Extremely adjacent proximity to Iberian Peninsula, strangely abundant colonial Francophone tongue occasionally upstaging native Arabic, exceeding glamour of national imperial capitals (Even when I enjoy Fes), easygoing world class nightlife(Paradox in conservative culture), Tram ride Public Transportation(Always above ground, minimal cost, Stars made into the seats. On my way to Beach Promenade from the opposite side of town), Luxury Hotels(Only $50 Per Night USD currency funds for extremely wealthy feel), All of those Chandeliers Antiques stores when almost everyone in the entire sovereignty republic is dirt poor, and finally Consistency of Architecture throughout every neighborhood(There are enough pleasant surprises with specific visuals).

Travel advice: Hyatt Regency (Behind the private gate, past Ground Floor Lobby room into their own Nightclub Discotheque Bar space! (Black Mystics House room Fridays-Saturdays nights), Versace Multilevel Hookah Lounge along Corniche Atlantic Ocean boardwalk, and finally Beirut Hookah Bar deep into the store grounds.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 951 times
Default sahara desert tours from Casablanca

I 've beeing in Morocco twice, I really appreciate the hospitality and how nice are people there.
No visit to Morocco is complete without a camel adventure In the sahara desert, I booked a desert trip from Casablanca to sahara desert of Merzouga ( Erg Chebbi dunes).
I recommend Morocco Road Trips they know better about the country and the sahara desert.
You can find their contact on the web site : [url]www.moroccoroadtrips.com[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World