U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
New York City 46 28.93%
LA 18 11.32%
San Francisco 22 13.84%
London 28 17.61%
Paris 19 11.95%
Sydney 15 9.43%
Tokyo 6 3.77%
Hong Kong 4 2.52%
Dubai 1 0.63%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:21 AM

20,962 posts, read 22,254,229 times

Advertisements

London

Absolutely love that city and been craving it since I haven't been there in years.

New York too, but I'm much more familiar with it since I go there several times a year. So, it feels more old hat. Therefore, London for now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM

23,883 posts, read 67,608,962 times
One of those upper east side places in NYC that wealthy people always live in on movies and tv.
And of course a mansion in LA.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:10 PM

432 posts, read 409,051 times
For me...I think I would love to own a swanky loft in Soho or Tribeca...or perhaps a town home in London.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:43 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,643,229 times
Miami

Old 06-30-2016, 02:30 PM

306 posts, read 259,862 times
I chose Sydney based off that list, but really if money was of no issue I would never choose to live a big city.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:52 AM

10,570 posts, read 14,505,211 times
I've lived in SF and LA and love both cities, so those are a natural go-to... but, now I live an hour over the border from HK, and I'm there every month or so for business and leisure. I love it down there... amazing city. I guess I'm lucky/wealthy enough that I've been to six of the cities on this list and am intimately familiar with four.

For my current business, I'd choose HK, since I already have business there and hope to expand to brick-and-mortar there before too long... but, I'd need to have an actual, liveable-sized house there, so I'd probably look at the Northern or Western New Territories, which is less dense and still dominated by trees. I'd certainly be happy with a nice, big skyscraper flat in Central, Tsuen Wan, Aberdeen, etc, but those are hard to come by and can run into the tens of millions of (US) dollars. Another bonus for me, as an avowed car nut, is that HK has extremely lax laws on auto imports - you can get basically any car there, classic or modern, from anywhere in the world. One way or the other, HK is probably top on my list for the time being.

After that, I'd probably lean towards LA or SF due to familiarity, number of friends, topography, etc. I loved living in SF, and lived in both Venice Beach and Beverly Hills - not many complaints to be had in any of these places. Who wouldn't love a house in the hills, or overlooking the ocean?? I'd probably be inclined either to look in the foothills or hills themselves of Beverly Hills, up Crescent Drive up to Mulholland or something. I always liked that area. I lived on Crescent in the Golden Triangle, down in the flat land, and that was great too - up in the hills there's nothing to walk to, really, but I'm an avid racer and there are some great switchbacks to be had every day, to-and-from home, as well as nice air and precious, precious quiet.

In SF itself, I'd be happy with most areas, but would probably either look at the Western Ocean or Richmond neighborhoods, which are generally pretty quiet and have gorgeous frontier-to-deco period homes, or leasing a home on the Presidio or Treasure Island (the land on both is still owned by the military and so they don't sell them). TI is kind of gully - a lot of the housing is Section 8 - but I still love it out there. I'd just want a nice view of the city.

I'd also look at some places in the Oakland or Berkeley Hills - gorgeous areas up there. Low-key and a little bit less snobby than SF proper, especially these days, with the influx of young, entitled tech money.

My wife and I have also talked about Sidney - we have a lot of Aussie friends here and a good social infrastructure there, and my business would do pretty well. It's safe, clean, the lifestyle is nice... I'm just not very familiar with it personally. Tokyo is quite cool, but my (Chinese) wife's knee-jerk, ingrained mistrust of Japan makes the possibility of moving there in the long-term somewhat low; for my part, I'm somewhat concerned about its future, since Japan has a ticking demographic time-bomb that could badly-damage its economy. London and Paris are beautiful cities that I wouldn't shy away from life in, but wouldn't be my top choices at the moment. Dubai is a bit of an enigma to me; I'm fascinated with it, but I'm not entirely sure I'd want to live there.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:35 AM

16,885 posts, read 6,214,066 times
The mega rich have lots of homes in lots of countries.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:43 AM

15,803 posts, read 10,117,303 times
New York or London for me.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:27 AM

1,818 posts, read 878,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I might have considered London ... until the other day ... Anglo-Saxon morons!
I take it you mean Brexit, I live in London now but I want out of the U.K. since that.
I'm sure the mugs couldn't see the consequences, they keep saying "we've got our country back", they'll have the quality of life of Romania soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
You won't have to worry too much about 'Anglo-Saxons' in London.
I think rranger meant those who voted to leave Europe, not just Londoners, but your point is taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Paris. The most complete city of the world.
Difficult to argue with that, fantastic restaurants, easy to get around by taxi or Metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
New York or London for me.
I opted for New York, although I live in London, at least New York has four seasons, it's July 1st. today, and the temperature in London is about 66-67f., it has been low all through June.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:39 AM

10,276 posts, read 8,365,342 times
I'm surprised so many people named HK. Are they ethnically Chinese?

HK has horrific air quality, unsuitable for children. Most of the housing market is pretty substandard for first world standards. Some of it is shockingly bad. Culture isn't remotely comparable to NYC/London/Paris. There are democracy/human rights issues. Much of the city is downright ugly.

I mean, if you prefer it, fine, but I assume most wealthy live there because they are ethnic Chinese and/or have business in HK or on the mainland. I don't think people pine for HK the way they want a pied-a-terre in Paris or in Manhattan. They don't dream about it like with Central Park, Tour Eiffel, Buckingham Palace, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World