U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
New York City 46 28.93%
LA 18 11.32%
San Francisco 22 13.84%
London 28 17.61%
Paris 19 11.95%
Sydney 15 9.43%
Tokyo 6 3.77%
Hong Kong 4 2.52%
Dubai 1 0.63%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 12:10 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,546,168 times

Advertisements

I chose HK. Even if I'd be filthy rich at some point, I'd need some gritty parts to hang out at at times.

Overall it's super safe, it has more than enough luxurious options and I like Chinese culture. It's not too polluted and offers lots of nature and beaches.

The downsides are that you are pretty much confined to HK and Macao due to the strict visa policy of the PRC and the toxic political climate caused by both the CCP and some hardline localists.

I like it here.

Of all the cities on the list, though, there is no way I'd ever move to Dubai. One of the dullest places on earth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 12:19 PM

3,838 posts, read 2,332,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
...there is no way I'd ever move to Dubai. One of the dullest places on earth.
It's not that bad, maybe just overrated by the likes of tourist agencies or dumb American movies recently. It's just mysterious and little known hence people spread misleading information.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:43 PM

10,276 posts, read 8,369,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Overall it's super safe,
Is HK really safer than other first world cities? The Asian cities usually have the highest rates of traffic deaths/injuries.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
It's not that bad, maybe just overrated by the likes of tourist agencies or dumb American movies recently. It's just mysterious and little known hence people spread misleading information.
Dubai is "mysterious and little known"? Is that why it's in every other commercial and blockbuster movie?

Old 07-05-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
What about Bellevue, WA?
What about it? Bellevue is hardly unknown.

It's the most prominent suburb of a very prominent American metro area. And it isn't like billionaires around the world are flocking to Bellevue.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:49 PM

20,974 posts, read 22,268,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I agree with the first part, but doubt most superwealthy generally "spend most of their time living in some place most people have never heard of". They tend to live in very prominent places, not Medicine Hat or Walla Walla. The New Yorks, Londons, LAs of the world, generally.
But how do you know that they physically live in those places most of the time?

The phenomenon of absentee billionaires is well-known in New York City, for example. Most people don't know who owns what in much of Manhattan.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:51 PM

7,624 posts, read 6,050,587 times
Quote:
Is HK really safer than other first world cities? The Asian cities usually have the highest rates of traffic deaths/injuries.
In the third world Asian cities like Hanoi or Jakarta sure, but not in Hong Kong.

And yes Hong Kong (and other Asian cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei) are definitely safer than the likes of Paris or London or Brussels and like 10 times safer than American ones. Homocide rate is probably the same but random street crimes are much rarer and there's no pickpockets.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But how do you know that they physically live in those places most of the time?

The phenomenon of absentee billionaires is well-known in New York City, for example.
Hmm, I don't understand the question.

We know where people claim residency based on where they pay taxes, which is public info. It's based on number of days spent in a given jurisdiction.

And I don't know what you mean by "the phenomenon of absentee billionaires". If anything, you have it reversed.

NYC has, by far, the highest taxes on the wealthy in the U.S. It isn't that that there are billionaires claiming to live in NYC who are actually living elsewhere, it's the reverse.

There are probably many billionaires living in NYC who officially claim to live in Bermuda, or Florida, or even London or Greenwich, CT, places that have much lower taxes on the wealthy. But it would be crazy for someone to actually live in Florida and claim to live in NYC.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

And yes Hong Kong (and other Asian cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei) are definitely safer than the likes of Paris or London or Brussels and like 10 times safer than American ones. Homocide rate is probably the same but random street crimes are much rarer and there's no pickpockets.
There are far more injuries/deaths from traffic than from guns and street crime, so that makes no sense to me. Pollution, too, kills/injures far more people. For that later reason I would not raise children in HK, which has terrible air quality.

I would guess that HK is somewhat less safe than both European and American cities, overall, but not as unsafe as somewhere like Bangkok or Cairo (which are crazy dangerous). But HK is still probably safe enough that it isn't an issue.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:20 PM

20,974 posts, read 22,268,116 times
Quote:
Hmm, I don't understand the question.

We know where people claim residency based on where they pay taxes, which is public info. It's based on number of days spent in a given jurisdiction.

And I don't know what you mean by "the phenomenon of absentee billionaires". If anything, you have it reversed.
Read this article as an example of what I'm talking about:

Luxury Midtown Buildings Rife With Absentee Tax Moochers : Gothamist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World