Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 06:10 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post

Bottom 10: Unfortunately, in many cases, LDC's where there's a palpable tension over security regularly (as of now at least)
10. Sana'a
Sana’a is suffering with the war in Yemen, but it’s a quite picturesque city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 06:27 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Top cities:

1. Los Angeles, California
2. Mexico City
3. Guatemala City
4. Quito, Ecuador
5. Lima, Peru
6. La Paz, Bolivia
7. Toronto, Canada
8. Montreal, Quebec
9. San Francisco/bay area
10. Winnipeg, Canada

Bottom

1. Medellin (superficial people with delusions of grandeur)
2. Caracas (same as above but more dangerous)
3. Miami (full of people from the above cities)
4. Sao Paulo
5. Orlando
6. Tampa
7. Miami
8. Miami
9.Miami
10.Miami

Old 11-16-2019, 10:22 PM

570 posts, read 508,691 times
This year I was privileged to travel a lot and I went to many places for my first time. My updated list:
Fave

1. Sydney - Lisbon
3. Singapore
4. London
5. Rome (I wasn't expecting to like it, but it was amazing! - can't wait to come back)
6. Bangkok
7. Paris
8. Berlin
9. Montreal
10. Medellin

Least fave
1. Copenhaguen
2. Kuala Lumpur
3. Bogota
4. Perth
5. Toronto - New York
7. Barcelona
8. Panama City

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Top 10

1 Sydney
2. Montreal
3. Paris
4. Prague
5. San Francisco
6. Lausanne
7. Honolulu
8. Quebec City
9. Buenos Aires
10.Playa del Carmen
10.Noosa, Australia

Bottom 5

These cities are not terrible, I just think they didn't live up to expectations, especially Barcelona -

1.Bogota
2.Perth
3.Auckland
4.Barcelona
5.Toronto

Old 11-17-2019, 06:51 PM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Bottom
1. Medellin (superficial people with delusions of grandeur)
2. Caracas (same as above but more dangerous)
3. Miami (full of people from the above cities)

or maybe you are the superficial one by making such bold generalization(s) .

Old 11-17-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
or maybe you are the superficial one by making such bold generalization(s) .
Not really that bold.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 11-17-2019 at 08:05 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 08:42 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Medellin definitely has superficial tendencies although getting away from that is actually quite easy. There's still strong bastions of genuinely friendly and traditional Paisa culture and incredible innovation in the city away from where the "hood rats" local and foreign hang out. Urbanluis has obviously bought into this "sex, drugs & reggaeton" culture which is opaquing the vast reality of Medellin but for someone that's never been to the city, mass media is a powerful tool in skewing perceptions. Developing your mind fully to proof it against sensationalism and using your critical, analytical and logical thoughts is difficult especially if you haven't experienced for yourself the place you have formed a bias over.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:55 PM

Not just media but my encounter with people from there has shaped my view. Sex, drugs and reggaeton are popular all over Latin America. That really has nothing to do with it. It's easy to blame media for things we don't like.

Having said that most Colombians I have met are cool, average every day working class folks.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 11-17-2019 at 09:08 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 09:10 PM

Well I assure you Medellin is a fantastic city especially if you concentrate on its innovative and traditional expressions. The silleteros of Santa Elena are Paisa tradition at its best. The old Tango bars of Salon Malaga, El Patio, Casa Gardeliana have entertained for decades and all the innovation Medellin is doing in its public parks, ecological trails, libraries, educational centres, transport and barrio [comuna] revitalisation is a sight to behold. No need to even set foot in Parque Lleras where the foreign hood rats lurk looking for cheap prossies and drugs. I can't fathom how with over 4,000 cities in 193 countries Medellin can make the top of the worst 10, especially if one is not concentrating on cities visited but instead forming an opinion from afar with a mass media skew.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:21 PM

Sure we'd all like to see our cities make everyones top ten list. That's great Medellin has lots going on.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Sure we'd all like to see our cities make everyones top ten list. That's great Medellin has lots going on.
Not really I'm not a fan of Medellin myself and I've made this known in several posts. However, I can't deny the facts of its achievements and its general order, cleanliness and innovative urban ideas but then again I've been to the place so know what its about. I could happily live there but the battle between "sex, drugs & reggaeton" culture fuelled by foreign money encroaching on the more gentile, incredibly friendly and contagious Paisa spirit is just something that depresses me. There's definitely a fight for Medellin that's playing out currently.

I put Brussels in my bottom list, logically its obviously not the worst of over 4,000 cities but I've been there five times and with all the will in the world I just don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World