U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2016, 09:38 AM
 
21,733 posts, read 12,833,067 times
Reputation: 16052

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
I graduated highschool a year ago, and from what I see, it isn't necessarily that being into those aspects would make one an outcast. Even the "cool kids" are playing video games (especially FPS games), and using loads of electronics, and the "jocks" all have to keep high enough grades in sciences and maths in order to play.

The kids on the bottom of the "social ladder" tend to have personality traits that are said to be "awkward, shy, or weird, etc," regardless of smarts or not. A confident, charismatic student into science, math, computers, etc is not going to be at the bottom of the social ladder, trust me. But even in these situations, it doesn't matter; these days, there will be no such thing as a "singular" popular crowd (at least, as seen in tv shows, movies), especially when the schools are large enough. There will be just too many groups/interests around to form this one established "hierarchy," where the nerds are looked down on by the "jocks." On top of that, things getting more and more mixed over the years; many "jocks" will be into anime, video games, science, maths, etc.
Yet, here we are today still reading something like this in our daily news:

13-year-old boy kills self, describes being bullied in emotional note
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2016, 10:07 AM
 
470 posts, read 369,526 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yet, here we are today still reading something like this in our daily news:

13-year-old boy kills self, describes being bullied in emotional note
That is unfortunate, but the general point still stands: these days, no one is bullied just because they are into things like computers, maths, sciences, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2016, 10:22 AM
 
Location: world
1,529 posts, read 795,335 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Olympics .........schmolympics!

These two have risen above the silliness of mere flags and are in it for the purity of the competition alone.

An American Olympian rooted for his wife on Team Canada. So what?
Exactly, so what?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2016, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Kingdom of pain, Southern Europe
1,308 posts, read 966,364 times
Reputation: 1297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
mock it all you want, but my ideology will in the future be considered common sense by members of the global political arena.
Only if you learn to use enter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2016, 04:03 PM
 
Location: SC
8,794 posts, read 6,924,701 times
Reputation: 12924
The US is approaching 1000 all time gold medals. The closest country is the former Soviet Union with approximately 500.

At first I thought it might be because of the number of athletes we send, but China about 50(?)% more Olympians as we did this year.

Size? Did you see the size of the Chinese women's volleyball team? I think the tallest was 6'-7".

Financing? I don't think US athletes get anywhere near the same government support as other countries, but then we do have a great school athletic system.

Whatever the reason, the US Olympic team is dominate, and I salute them. Personally, I would like to see the taxes on prizes eliminated or treated like a 401K or IRA contributions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2016, 04:03 PM
 
24,730 posts, read 14,565,174 times
Reputation: 26203
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
That is unfortunate, but the general point still stands: these days, no one is bullied just because they are into things like computers, maths, sciences, etc.
Nobody was ever bullied for what they were into. They were bullied for what they were out of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2016, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Texas
44,255 posts, read 58,852,776 times
Reputation: 73675
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The US is approaching 1000 all time gold medals. The closest country is the former Soviet Union with approximately 500.

At first I thought it might be because of the number of athletes we send, but China about 50(?)% more Olympians as we did this year.

Size? Did you see the size of the Chinese women's volleyball team? I think the tallest was 6'-7".

Financing? I don't think US athletes get anywhere near the same government support as other countries, but then we do have a great school athletic system.

Whatever the reason, the US Olympic team is dominate, and I salute them. Personally, I would like to see the taxes on prizes eliminated or treated like a 401K or IRA contributions.
Largest western people countries playing what amounts to mostly western people sports?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2016, 07:50 PM
 
Location: world
1,529 posts, read 795,335 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The US is approaching 1000 all time gold medals. The closest country is the former Soviet Union with approximately 500.

At first I thought it might be because of the number of athletes we send, but China about 50(?)% more Olympians as we did this year.

Size? Did you see the size of the Chinese women's volleyball team? I think the tallest was 6'-7".

Financing? I don't think US athletes get anywhere near the same government support as other countries, but then we do have a great school athletic system.

Whatever the reason, the US Olympic team is dominate, and I salute them. Personally, I would like to see the taxes on prizes eliminated or treated like a 401K or IRA contributions.
The reason is very simple.

The Soviet Union got it's medals by competing in 10 olympics, whereas the USA got it's medals by competing in 26 olympics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2016, 08:10 PM
 
Location: SC
8,794 posts, read 6,924,701 times
Reputation: 12924
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
The reason is very simple.

The Soviet Union got it's medals by competing in 10 olympics, whereas the USA got it's medals by competing in 26 olympics.
So, you want to use "logic" and "math" to win your argument? OK, you've got a great point!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2016, 08:20 PM
 
21,131 posts, read 17,329,699 times
Reputation: 8816
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, you want to use "logic" and "math" to win your argument? OK, you've got a great point!
Why, would you prefer the "process of scientific method" with "regulation of one's own understanding" (as in here) instead?

You are not happy with logic and math I see?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top