U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 2,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I mean, I know we're awesome and all but gold after gold after gold, it gets tiring at some point. Seriously, other countries need to step up, we're winning wrestling, swimming, volleyball, soccer(!!!), gymnastics, and literally everything else. I'm just in awe at how amazing we are, that's all.
Not really, pretty bad actually, in terms of population your coming far down the list, 30th actually with one gold per 7.5m people. Britain is 13th with one per 2.2m.
If the E.U. performed as one team they'd be on 102 golds and 306 medals.
And you get the majority of your medals in a small number of sports.
[url=http://www.nzherald.co.nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=502&objectid=11665442]Rio 2016 Olympic Medal Table - Olympics - NZ Herald News[/url]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 12:56 PM

26,446 posts, read 14,836,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
When I was younger I always used to consider the Americans to be among the worlds worst sporting nations, this though was mainly because I never saw an American sports person, the main reason because they don't do the same sports as the rest of the world, I used to wonder why they never had a team in the World Cup, why they never played international rugby or cricket, never had a decent F1 driver. Of course as I grew up I realised that they weren't necessarily 'bad' at sports they just played 'different' ones. I've now also discovered that they too do seem to believe that they are somehow 'superior' in a sporting sense (perhaps for the same reasons), reality is that considering the sheer size of the countries population and the wealth or resources it has the US medal count is not particularly impressive, China's even less so!
The USA has 5 times more olympic medals historically than Great Britain and far outpaces all other nations of the world historically and again this year and 2 out of the 3 greatest sports in the USA (American football & baseball) aren't olympic sports.

If the USA ever decides to get serious about soccer (currently not many care about it), we will dominate that like we do the olympics.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:31 PM

16,584 posts, read 25,259,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The USA has 5 times more olympic medals historically than Great Britain and far outpaces all other nations of the world historically and again this year and 2 out of the 3 greatest sports in the USA (American football & baseball) aren't olympic sports.

If the USA ever decides to get serious about soccer (currently not many care about it), we will dominate that like we do the olympics.
It's amazing what you have to explain on these forums isn't it? Some just can't stomach giving the US any credit. This whole per capita argument is really a stretch. Why does that even matter? You know what, if the US did when a lot of medals per capita then they'd be criticizing us for being too obsessed with sports and not caring about other things. Wait, I believe that has already happened too at some point. I wouldn't even engage with these types on here. No, the US isn't the best at everything but for gods sake let us have some credit sheesh.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:57 PM

15,518 posts, read 5,410,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^Yet the American football hooligans engaging in physical altercations are somehow first world behavior for you?
That's done in some rough and tough good spirit. In an international competetion a home country has no right to be disrespectful to their guest country

Old 08-21-2016, 02:07 PM

1,150 posts, read 966,002 times
Sorry, 415, but every Chinese athlete is now viewed with suspicion . I would not let Russia and China compete for the next games either due to their pathological cheating, you are to athletics as what you are to wildlife conservation and the environment .

Old 08-21-2016, 02:54 PM

12,435 posts, read 8,412,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksch View Post
Not really, pretty bad actually, in terms of population your coming far down the list, 30th actually with one gold per 7.5m people. Britain is 13th with one per 2.2m.
If the E.U. performed as one team they'd be on 102 golds and 306 medals.
Only two athletes are permitted per country in most events. If the EU performed as one team, they would only get two chances at a medal per event.

As it is, 28 EU countries mean a potential 56 medal chances per event.

It seems like the US is doing pretty well with their two.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:59 PM

15,835 posts, read 9,975,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I mean, I know we're awesome and all but gold after gold after gold, it gets tiring at some point. Seriously, other countries need to step up, we're winning wrestling, swimming, volleyball, soccer(!!!), gymnastics, and literally everything else. I'm just in awe at how amazing we are, that's all.
We win more often because of the great diversity among our population, and because our fully-developed economy and infrastructure allow more people with talent to pursue excellence in their specialty.

It verdammt sure beats the tactics Hitler and the heirs of Stalin used.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:06 PM
BMI

7,471 posts, read 6,294,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

But doesn't the USA have 5 times the population of Great Britain.

A country like New Zealand getting 14 medals is like the US getting 300 medals.

About the same ratio as Great Britain receiving 66 medals, like USA with 300.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:12 PM

16,584 posts, read 25,259,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
But doesn't the USA have 5 times the population of Great Britain.

A country like New Zealand getting 14 medals is like the US getting 300 medals.

About the same ratio as Great Britain receiving 66 medals, like USA with 300.
Who counts like that other than some CD users? If the US won 300 medals, I can only imagine the type of bashing that would go on about how the US is obsessed with sports and nothing else so we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. If the US were to win 300 medals, we surely would be slacking in many other areas much like China would have won even more using this stupid argument. However, considering that we can only enter a certain number of athletes per event as mentioned already, we are, whether you like it or not, doing pretty well.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:34 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,123,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Also, just to remind you how stupid this statement was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5-fQ2Qda5U
The video isn't working, but that was a lovely moment which encapsulates everything the games are about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World