U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 01:57 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,124,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Fun? Perhaps?

If patting yourself on the back and stroking your ego by building up the accomplishments of your country's athletes gives you a thrill, go for it. I do however resent those posters who constantly put down other countries. That is rather low class and
As in I don't take it too seriously. I've enjoyed watching TeamGB do well, even in sports I'd never normally watch (Women's hockey final was a killer!), but I've also enjoyed watching other nations compete and do well - Simone Biles was an absolute delight and I know bugger-all about gymnastics! But I agree that some posters from the UK are going a bit too far, as are some others!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I'm not gonna read this whole thread, but I'm shocked that people can't see the obvious, which is that the USA wins more medals because it's simply got more athletes participating in the games than lots of other countries (with much smaller populations). And by the way, the USA did NOT win volleyball or soccer. And you've also got some sports where an athlete can participate in several different events e.g., swimming. Why do you think Michael Phelps has so many medals?
It's a slight flaw in the set-up in that, for boxing, for example, the competitor has to go through several rounds to reach the chance to get a gold medal, or indeed, any medal whereas a swimmer like Michael Phelps (and I'm taking nothing away from him btw) gets to compete in several events and has a chance after qualifying in one heat. But I guess there's no way around it!

Old 08-22-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
How many consecutive years/decades that US is dominating the Olympics?

I was still a young child and every time I see a medal tally, US is always on top.
Actually only two, China topped the table at Beijing 2008

Old 08-22-2016, 03:30 PM

12,264 posts, read 9,621,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Historically, the US is much better than the UK even per capita..
The UK won lots of medals but only in 2016.
In 1996, they had only one gold medal and were among the worst world country per capita with Saint Vincent des Grenadines.
Whereas the French WERE useless and if fact STILL ARE useless no?

Old 08-22-2016, 07:40 PM

23,784 posts, read 26,544,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Letting countries have more entrants isn't going to boost medal counts for a country unless it's something like "group tug of war" that is added as an event.

Countries with major advantages are ones with a highly diverse genetic base. For example, Kenya has lots of runners....not so many shot-putters. The US has a little bit of everything where some countries are much more homogeneous.

Wealth is the other huge advantage. Swimming pools and gymnastics facilities and top-notch medical and other training staff cost a lot of money.

Another would be mechanisms to reward the pursuit of athletics. You might not make the Olympic team and make millions in endorsements like Phelps....but you can get a full-ride to college.

Lastly Title 9 and womens sport in the US are much more developed. I'd be curious how the comparative looks when you split male and female.
had mentioned the Title IX impact earlier and think it is clearly what is making the difference in the medal standings these days

U.S. Women Will Rule In Rio (You Can Thank Title IX) : The Torch : NPR

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2016/...s-in-olympics/

For all the girls who dream big, the 2016 Olympics delivered – Women in the World in Association with The New York Times – WITW

haven't yet found the rio breakdown but I would be surprised if the medal totals for the women didn't approach 60% vs the men.

something else to keep in mind is that it seems many of the international athletes were competing at NCAA programs and continue to train in the states as well.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:48 AM

23,784 posts, read 26,544,619 times
the women won 61 of the 121 total medals that the US won, about 50.5%
the men won 55 medals, or about 45.5%
mixed teams (equestrian & tennis) won another 5 medals

the golds offered a larger disparity, with the women winning 27 of the 46 gold medals or about 58.7%

those 27 medals are more than any other country's gold tally with the exception of GB which also had 27

Olympic Games 2016: U.S. Women Are The Biggest Winners In Rio : The Torch : NPR

the US medal haul was also likely affected many of the Russian athletes being banned as well as the relatively poor performance by the Chinese

add'l insight into the US and others nations' performance results and causes here ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/sp...-rio.html?_r=0

Last edited by Ghengis; 08-23-2016 at 07:59 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 AM

5,594 posts, read 4,488,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the women won 61 of the 121 total medals that the US won, about 50.5%
the men won 55 medals, or about 45.5%
mixed teams (equestrian & tennis) won another 5 medals

the golds offered a larger disparity, with the women winning 27 of the 46 gold medals or about 58.7%

those 27 medals are more than any other country's gold tally with the exception of GB which also had 27

Olympic Games 2016: U.S. Women Are The Biggest Winners In Rio : The Torch : NPR

the US medal haul was also likely affected many of the Russian athletes being banned as well as the relatively poor performance by the Chinese

add'l insight into the US and others nations' performance results and causes here ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/sp...-rio.html?_r=0
Why didn't they add the fact that the US has always been the source of new high tech drugs that enhance performance? While the rest of the world try to avoid detection from using older drugs, the US has always been a pioneer user of drugs that have yet to be detected. This can also explain the US dominance too.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:09 AM

25,719 posts, read 15,510,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Everybody located in the US is an American?
Well, if your location marker is set as "US" you can't expect people to intuit that your nationality is something else based on a post somewhere upthread, which may or may not have been read (or that clearly remembered). You'd have to make that clear in continuing posts.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:16 AM

25,719 posts, read 15,510,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
What the Olympics show is the greatness of the USA's Olympic sports programs at the high school and college level. My understanding is that high school sports is a foreign concept outside of the USA, here sports teams matter more than education. That's why we have to import doctors and engineers but dominate the Olympic medal count. We also have a diverse population. Clearly people from certain regions are better at some sports (list East Africans in long distance running, West Africans at sprints, Europeans at swimming, etc). The USA has people from all over the world.
Pretty much "advantage: US" in every area, and I'd say that diversity trumps sheer population size (US vs China). The old USSR was close, but Russia is not.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:31 AM

67,111 posts, read 50,917,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Why didn't they add the fact that the US has always been the source of new high tech drugs that enhance performance? While the rest of the world try to avoid detection from using older drugs, the US has always been a pioneer user of drugs that have yet to be detected. This can also explain the US dominance too.
Can you source your claims? I've heard that one coming out of Russia "media" (lol) in an attempt to deflect from their massive cheating scandal.

The idea that the Soviet program with significant KGB involvement and the Chinese program wouldn't be able to get the same drugs via espionage etc. is hilarious since they've managed to heist just about everything else over the years.

Second, they do bust American athletes for these things which then would make you have to wonder why they weren't using the magic secret undetectable drugs they allegedly have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World