U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2016, 07:11 PM
 
21,501 posts, read 17,722,907 times
Reputation: 8969

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Ah, yes, the typical propogandist response. Perfect for a Putin or Trump supporter.

"Someone else has been bad in world history therefore I should allowed to be bad without consequence in the present". No.

And I'm pretty sure Colin Powell never photoshopped Russian athletes to "prove" they were doping.
I'm sorry, but each and every Putin's PR stunt is taken from American books. In fact, he even hired some Western PR companies in order to assure his success.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander as they say.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2016, 07:21 PM
 
11,781 posts, read 7,885,004 times
Reputation: 31461
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Even among the cream of the crop, the best that could never be beaten.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9uU1V9JXQs
Everybody adored Olga Korbut. She and Nadia were two icons from my childhood. But let's face it, gymnastics has evolved tremendously since that time. The uneven bars have changed so much that it's almost impossible to compare them. But watch one of Olga's floor routines on Youtube and compare it to any floor routine from 2016. I was a gymnastics coach for many years, and I can assure you that 6-year-old children are now performing more difficult tumbling moves than Olga did in the 1972 Olympics. Of course they do not have her dance ability or artistry. Strength and power were not stressed in that era, so you did not see big muscles on woman gymnasts.

Last edited by saibot; 09-15-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 08:47 PM
 
21,501 posts, read 17,722,907 times
Reputation: 8969
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Everybody adored Olga Korbut. She and Nadia were two icons from my childhood. But let's face it, gymnastics has evolved tremendously since that time. The uneven bars have changed so much that it's almost impossible to compare them. But watch one of Olga's floor routines on Youtube and compare it to any floor routine from 2016. I was a gymnastics coach for many years, and I can assure you that 6-year-old children are now performing more difficult tumbling moves than Olga did in the 1972 Olympics. Of course they do not have her dance ability or artistry. Strength and power were not stressed in that era, so you did not see big muscles on woman gymnasts.
Evolved? ( Sorry I am not following gymnastics for quite some time.)
You mean what she ( Korbut that is) did here on uneven bars is a norm now? Or gymnasts are routinely doing something more challenging, something better?
Yes, I'll watch the current floor routine to get a better idea, but I honestly don't believe that it requires the same amount of muscles as in weight lifting, the kind I see on Biles - i.e. much more than what it used to be with previous generation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 09:47 PM
 
11,781 posts, read 7,885,004 times
Reputation: 31461
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You mean what she ( Korbut that is) did here on uneven bars is a norm now? Or gymnasts are routinely doing something more challenging, something better?
The uneven bars are used entirely differently now. They are much farther apart, so most of the skills from Korbut's era no longer even exist. Yes, the skills are immensely more difficult and challenging. The Korbut flip was breathtaking in its day, but please watch any bars routine from the Rio Olympics to see what I mean.

Quote:
Yes, I'll watch the current floor routine to get a better idea, but I honestly don't believe that it requires the same amount of muscles as in weight lifting, the kind I see on Biles - i.e. much more than what it used to be with previous generation.
As much muscle as a weight lifter, no. More than previous generations, a resounding YES.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 11:37 PM
 
21,501 posts, read 17,722,907 times
Reputation: 8969
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The uneven bars are used entirely differently now. They are much farther apart, so most of the skills from Korbut's era no longer even exist. Yes, the skills are immensely more difficult and challenging. The Korbut flip was breathtaking in its day, but please watch any bars routine from the Rio Olympics to see what I mean.
I did watch it, I see what you mean and I am not so sure that now it's "immensely more difficult and more challenging." The current arrangement on uneven bars reminds me now more of men's routine on a bar, with a difference that women can switch those bars and perform on one bar at a time. So looking at that Korbut's memorable performance I think that in fact it was more difficult, more unique and impossible to beat. So the only way out of it was to switch the arrangements all together, lol.

Quote:
As much muscle as a weight lifter, no. More than previous generations, a resounding YES.
Allow me to disagree with you on that one. All this increased muscle mass seems to be uniquely Biles' feature with her humongous jumps, twists and turns during the floor routine, but as I suspected, with these masculine moves of hers and her bulky body, she looks real bad on the beam. Beam demands a show of pure femininity, and here the muscle bulk is counter-indicative.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOFl6dOPJDc

So now I am even more puzzled than ever, particularly after I've read this;

'Williams sisters and Simone Biles allowed to take banned substances to Rio'* | Daily Mail Online
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Russia
5,185 posts, read 3,220,281 times
Reputation: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Ah, yes, the typical propogandist response. Perfect for a Putin or Trump supporter.

"Someone else has been bad in world history therefore I should allowed to be bad without consequence in the present". No.

And I'm pretty sure Colin Powell never photoshopped Russian athletes to "prove" they were doping.
Of course he did not do it. He's just created an illusion and destroyed the Middle Eastern country. Tens of thousands of dead, hundreds of thousands of refugees. West is able to create a great illusions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 01:25 AM
 
Location: Russia
5,185 posts, read 3,220,281 times
Reputation: 1440
I think that they have approximately the same physique. It is a obligatory condition of the Olympic champion.



http://www.gksport.ru/images/stories...ions_w640.jpeg

But then everything is decided by small nuances. For example, use of stimulants.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 09-16-2016 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: update photo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 01:39 AM
 
Location: Russia
5,185 posts, read 3,220,281 times
Reputation: 1440
I'm for equitable sport. We should not ban clean Russian (or any other) athletes because they are Russian. We must not hide the use of performance-enhancing drugs for medical purposes, if it is really necessary.

+ Trump and Clinton have opened their medical records. Athletes must do the same.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 01:46 AM
 
21,501 posts, read 17,722,907 times
Reputation: 8969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think that they have approximately the same physique. It is a obligatory condition of the Olympic champion.


http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...dkto2_1280.jpg

But then everything is decided by small nuances. For example, use of stimulants.
Sorry, I am not sure I understand it.
What is a "obligatory condition" in this case? Same physique or what?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 01:58 AM
 
Location: Russia
5,185 posts, read 3,220,281 times
Reputation: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Sorry, I am not sure I understand it.
What is a "obligatory condition" in this case? Same physique or what?
To perform complex elements need greater muscle mass. Unable to perform a complex program without the huge muscles. Therefore, all the gymnasts small growth - less growth, less muscle mass is required.

+ I mean same physique.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 09-16-2016 at 02:07 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top