U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 10:43 PM

24,832 posts, read 13,719,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
All these medals, yet you have so many disgusting fat people. It's impressive actually.

How can you have so many fat people, when your sporting facilities, and time playing sports, is so great?
that's mostly related to diet and most Americans' diet is terrible but you also have a big fitness culture among half the people and these keep in shape. Since I spend most of my time out of the USA, people when they find out I'm American often ask me why I'm (14% bf) not fat....so there is a strong stereotype that is often not correct.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 06:19 AM

44,255 posts, read 58,892,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You must not have been around teenagers since you were one.
In fact, I hire and mentor them.

The new culture is very much accepting and admiring of what they used to call 'the nerd herd' when I was in middle school.
Being smart is cool now.

It's not a John Hughes movie anymore.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:21 AM

44,255 posts, read 58,892,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
All these medals, yet you have so many disgusting fat people. It's impressive actually.

How can you have so many fat people, when your sporting facilities, and time playing sports, is so great?
All that superior attitude and you still buy what the media sells you.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:56 AM

4,402 posts, read 2,600,887 times
The U.S. obesity rate is not the highest in the world but it is still very high. And it is higher than most of Europe. I met an Australian tourist recently in my hometown of Los Angeles. He was amazed at how many overweight people he saw.

How fat is YOUR country - and which nations have the highest obesity rates? These new maps may surprise you... | Daily Mail Online

We are a fat and ignorant country. I am not running for office so I can state the facts. It is sad but true.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:14 AM

2,986 posts, read 2,462,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Europe isn't a country, it's a continent... by your rationale, we could just go ahead and lump the Americas together and the US would dominate even more.
I think he's kinda done it to show that the ratio of medals per inhabitant is either pretty similar or lower in the USA than it is in Western Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The Olympics are a silly anachronistic throwback to an era of excessive nationalism and petty rivalries. Oh wait...
It's the opposite, i think the Olympics are an event that unites the whole world, where we get to show our love for our own country without ever having to resort to nationalism and unsportsmanlike behaviour. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule such as the Egyptian judo athlete refusing to shake the hand of the Israeli athlete who had just beaten him

Old 08-13-2016, 07:24 AM

6,504 posts, read 5,186,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
no, the US isn't that fat, It really isn't. Europeans (and especially Brits) need to give up on this narrative that makes them feel better. walking around my hometown I don't see a single fat person outside of the silver diner.
Well, it is a very fat country. I've been to the US on more than one occasion, and there are an awful lot of overweight people. The bigger cities, certainly in the NE at least, didn't seem too bad though. Houston however, well, a fat person here would feel slim there. It's like real life WALL-E.
Of course we have an obesity problem here too, but not on the same level.
I live in a wealthy city, so there are far less overweight people here. The poorer towns and cities are certainly different.

I eat a lot, or so I thought until I visited the states. The portion sizes are ridiculous in all honesty. You just don't need to eat that amount of food.

And yes, I find very fat people disgusting.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:33 AM

16,561 posts, read 24,784,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

The new culture is very much accepting and admiring of what they used to call 'the nerd herd' when I was in middle school.
Being smart is cool now.

Well I work with them too and my experiences are completely different. Part of the reason for the anti bullying movements we see but it's just a movie to you so...

Old 08-13-2016, 07:33 AM

24,755 posts, read 14,593,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Being smart is cool now.

That's because "you're going to work for him someday" has filtered down to the high school level to a great extent.

Not fully! The big problem in high school is its basic insular "Lord of the Flies" culture, but within that culture there is room for that "nerd herd."

Old 08-13-2016, 07:36 AM

24,755 posts, read 14,593,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The U.S. obesity rate is not the highest in the world but it is still very high. And it is higher than most of Europe. I met an Australian tourist recently in my hometown of Los Angeles. He was amazed at how many overweight people he saw.

How fat is YOUR country - and which nations have the highest obesity rates? These new maps may surprise you... | Daily Mail Online

We are a fat and ignorant country. I am not running for office so I can state the facts. It is sad but true.
The percentage of fat children (including the growing incidence of diabetes among children) is more worrying than the percentage of fat adults.

And it's a different kind of fat. Decades ago, the military did not worry about fat recruits--basic training was sufficient to burn the fat off nearly any 18-year-old male. Today they're dealing with some kind of "super fat" that does not respond to exercise. The military is now finding it necessary to restrict the weight of incoming recruits--which had not been necessary before.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:45 AM

1,529 posts, read 796,222 times
Anybody bother to read the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World